Is civilization 5 over?

I think the comparison with other game "add-ons" is invalid, as civ add-ons traditionally introduce new mechanics, as well as new content, buffs and nerfs. The new mechanics thing does actually mean we have "incomplete" games in vanilla versions. Certainly civ5 felt like this. If all mechanics were in place (religion, trade etc) on civ6 vanilla and the add ons were just content and rebalancing, I would actually be pleased. Essentially an add on should feel like a major patch. If should not introduce new mechanics as that essentially means the vanilla game was truly incomplete and even a bit half-added to be honest, disingenuous towards the consumer.
I disagree. For DLC new content is fine, but for an expansion I actually DO want new mechanics and new things introduced. It wouldn't feel like a proper expansion otherwise, but just 'cut content'.

Imo. people have a bit of a black and white impression of who were the good guys and the bad guys in Civ5 development, painting Ed Beach as the knight in shining armor who rode in and saved the day in the heat of battle when things looked bad after vanilla release. I'm not saying this to discredit Ed and what he - and the team - has accomplished with G&K and BnW, but from all I've read Ed was part of the original design team as well (and, if that article holds true, responsible for the AI diplomacy programming which, eh, let's be honest, still leaves a lot to be desired), and I think it's neither fair nor accurate to label John Schafer with the responsibility for everything that was bad with vanilla and Ed Beach with everything that's good post BnW. Many things were probably tweaked along the way as experience showed what worked and what didn't, and most likely many features that were left out of vanilla but later included were at least partially designed or at least planned for later inclusion even at the time of vanilla release.

All good points. The AI diplomacy behavior is one of the weakest features of the game, and (if, as you say, the article is holds true) Ed Beach apparently believes that Gandhi arbitrarily becoming a sociopath to be a positive feature. Whatever John Schafer’s flaws, I find it amazing that his framework was robust enough to have so many radical features added after vanilla.

Civ5 was a good game that, like Civ4, was improved for every new expansion until it became really good with the last expansion. For us who has played the game for thousands of hours im guessing it starts to feel a bit old and worn out by now. I hope the sixth Civ will be more complex, in depth than Civ5 and with an AI that is more 2014 than 1993. The game maker monkeys should really take a look at the Paradox games and be inspired by them (a bit more realism and complexity is what im after), but that may be asking for a bit much i guess... Fingers crossed for a great Civ6 then!

Is it sad that I'm already wondering when civ 6 will be announced?

Also forgot to ask, wasn't there supposed to be a final scenario? Any details on that?

Don't get your hopes up too high, there may never be a Civ VI... for PCs that is. Maybe there will only be some offshoot of CivRev for tablets. PCs are over, remember ? We're the last dinosaurs of a dying breed :lol:

:lol: I don't know if that was sarcasm or not.
I am seeing it quite the opposite, that consoles are actually starting to slowly die these days, since they don't have anything new to offer anymore. While PC still has tons of possibilities, PC is experiencing a revival these days. If you said that 10 years ago or so, then you would be definitely right, but now the tables have turned. ;)

It might be "over" in terms of official additions, but the game will remain for years with mods and even basegame replayabilities.

My short-term personal goal is to at least finish a game with each leader, and raising difficulty and vary map types each time.

Interested to see what Civ 6 could offer but I just got into BNW this year and I love it.

Civ5 was a good game that, like Civ4, was improved for every new expansion until it became really good with the last expansion. For us who has played the game for thousands of hours im guessing it starts to feel a bit old and worn out by now. I hope the sixth Civ will be more complex, in depth than Civ5 and with an AI that is more 2014 than 1993. The game maker monkeys should really take a look at the Paradox games and be inspired by them (a bit more realism and complexity is what im after), but that may be asking for a bit much i guess... Fingers crossed for a great Civ6 then!

I am also hoping that Civ 6 is a deeper more realistic game. More like a Paradox game but with the infnite possibilities and replayability of the Civ series. I'm sure Civ 6 will end up being a game with beautiful graphics that is fun to play. I just hope that the designers can combine those attributes with the realism that I want.

Don't get your hopes up too high, there may never be a Civ VI... for PCs that is. Maybe there will only be some offshoot of CivRev for tablets. PCs are over, remember ? We're the last dinosaurs of a dying breed :lol:

And then the gaming industry will collapse once again when everyone is fully convinced that cell phones are future game consoles despite the fact that games on cellphones heat them up faster and wears them out much faster and then everyone claims everyone uses iDiot products. And then there's be companies that for the most asinine reasons claim copyright on the simplest of words, such as i and Saga despite the latter not having to do with any actual saga at all.

But let's have high hopes for Civ VI.

Can't wait for a dumbed down sequel with even less features than Civ 5 vanilla, console ports and everything.

I think you guys are selling Firaxis really short here.

Civilization 6 will be coming out for PC... I can almost guarantee that... when? Probably Summer or Fall 2015...

We'll probably hear about it sometime this summer.

Hmmm... Let me put it this way: Let Paradox be Paradox, and let Civ be Civ. Paradox is not perfect, even in their latest games some of their mechanics are not the best, or are not done that well. Of course same applies for Civ, but let the games have their own ''way of doing things'', they are both different genres and different games.

Hmmm... Let me put it this way: Let Paradox be Paradox, and let Civ be Civ. Paradox is not perfect, even in their latest games some of their mechanics are not the best, or are not done that well. Of course same applies for Civ, but let the games have their own ''way of doing things'', they are both different genres and different games.

Paradox forums are full of the very same type of complaints about poor AI and lack of realism in their games as this one is. Just on the CKII forum today there are two entire threads complaining about AI flaws.

Paradox forums are full of the very same type of complaints about poor AI and lack of realism in their games as this one is. Just on the CKII forum today there are two entire threads complaining about AI flaws.

Yeah, I noticed very similar complains there as well. :lol:

re: the comments about console game dominance: game developers are in the very beginning stages of seeing the decline of console platforms. we all know from mainstream media that Nintendo is probably going to abandon consoles altogether. and yes, you could easily say that this is only because Nintendo was too dumb, for too many years, and took a huge monetary loss in this industry. however, there is simple truth beyond Nintendo: the whole child generation that grew up on 1980's gaming is now old and use PC's primarily. not even smartphones compete with their attention if they have any sort of real job.

PC will remain the 1st or 2nd place worthwhile develop-able gaming platform for (specifically) large capital game projects.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
re: comparisons to Paradox in general: the main reason that CK2 and EU series totally trounces the Civ series is the diplo. and the feature about this diplo is a basic casus belli system. specifically. and it is even possible (just speculation) that a casus belli system might even be proprietary to Paradox at this point.

the Civ series trounces CK/EU in the technology and resource system. it seems to me that neither gaming franchise has the legal rights or the ability to suddenly be awesome in all categories of an empire building game. maybe i'm mistaken and w/e.

Where are you getting the idea that Nintendo is going to abandon consoles? The Wii U was a huge bust but that was more because Nintendo developed a reputation as the ~casual gamer's publisher~ with the Wii and was never really able to salvage that when they jumped ship and started making games for people who actually play games again. Their portables are still massively successful so I'm assuming you weren't referring to them.

Consoles are still easier for developers to use because you only have to account for one build. Consoles are still better money-makers for publishers because piracy is a lot harder on consoles than it is with PC games. Microsoft is still making truckloads of money off of their own casual fan base of Call of Duty and Madden players. Believe it or not, a huge bulk of the gaming community is still kids playing on their consoles and getting their parents to buy games from them. It's just not you, and for the most part it's not me.

Of course none of this changes the fact that a Civ game that is designed so you don't need a mouse and keyboard would be terrible

Top Bottom