All-in-One Religious Deity Challenge - Spain

Merenptah

Warlord
Isabella - pious or fanatical, according to one’s fancy – desired a political community that obeyed „one king, one faith, one law“. [...] In 1493 the Papacy granted the the Castilian Crown full control over Church appointments and a monopoly of evangilaztion in the New World. (S.E. Finer, The History of Government)

On that note, I’d like to propose a religiously flavoured terra incognita Deity Challenge playing as Spain.

Playable Civ: Isabella - Spain
Number of AI Opponents: 11
Number of City-States: 24
Map type: Frontier Pangea
Map Size: Large
Difficulty Level: Deity
Game pace: Epic
Ruins are off/Barbs are on
Cultural Victory is disabled, rest enabled

Special: Spain starts isolated on an island just large enough for a single city and separated from the rest of the world by ocean; you will need Astronomy before you can explore the new world and start converting it; on the upside, the islands hosts three Natural Wonders :crazyeye:

View attachment Isabella_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save

Depending on your comfort level and challenge appetite, there are three ways you can approach this:

1) Easy Mode– just have fun smashinig the AI on deity

2) Medium – the actual challenge: satisfy the following victory conditions before any of the normal VCs have been met
  • VC1 – Science: You are researching Future Tech
  • VC2 – Diplomacy: You have enough delegates to be able to win a diplomatic victory
  • VC3 – Tourism: You are Influential with every Civ on the map (note: cultural victory is disabled)
  • VC4 – Culture: You have completed all 9 non-ideology Social Policy Trees
  • VC5 – World Wonders: you hold every possible World Wonder
  • VC6 – Religion: all cities must follow your religion (except Holy Cities)
  • VC7 – Liberation: each initial Civ and City-State must be alive
  • Restriction – no buying or producing of settlers (you may only use conquistadores for settling)
Once you've completed the quest, you may finish the spaceship and fly away! :clap:

3) Hard - similar VCs but a few more restrictions: in addition to the above you should also satisfy the following:
  • VC3+ – Tourism: You are Dominant with every Civ on the map :crazyeye:
  • VC4+ – Culture: fill all 9 SP trees + 14 Ideology Tenets = 68 Social Policies
  • VC6+ – Religion: every city follows your Religion, including Holy Cities
  • VC8 – Population: Capital has population of 100+ :D
  • Restriction 2 – no city capturing unless the city has a World Wonder; as for other cities, if they do not follow your religion, then they must either be razed or liberated; if a city follows your relgion, then you cannot raze it and may only attack to liberate it (since you can't capture it unless it has a WW). You wouldn‘t want to hurt the people following your credo. Only a World Wonder could possibly justify that … ;)
Enjoy!

That start is crazy.. Turn 80 education on epic speed lol..

Seems I still have a lot to learn ... got Edu Turn 92 ... despite getting GL on Turn 27 and the NC on turn 35 and having food-focus throughout ...

Did you not go for Optics after Writing/Calendar for the Lighthouse?

I saved my money for Unis and Observatory and just bought a Monument+Lighthouse hard-building Worker and Granary ... no trade means no money for some time so ...

Also, I delayed HG since I felt Stonhenge was somewhat of a higher priority ...

Still OCC and just bulbed Astro with Oxford ... heading for Chivalry now to pump out some Conquistadores .... :)

I have three midterms next week, so it's going to be a while before I can try this, but I'm assuming the only way to win this on medium/hard mode is to conquer and raise everything, but leave one capital alive until you reach future tech (and still probably pillage those lands every once in a while too).

Otherwise, there's no way I can think of to fulfill these conditions remotely peacefully.

I have three midterms next week, so it's going to be a while before I can try this, but I'm assuming the only way to win this on medium/hard mode is to conquer and raise everything, but leave one capital alive until you reach future tech (and still probably pillage those lands every once in a while too).

Otherwise, there's no way I can think of to fulfill these conditions remotely peacefully.

I'm actually going for a great Mosque of Djenna + Mandate of Heaven Missionary spam approach and plan to take Religious Unity reformation later; also have Religious Texts and plan to take Printing Press as my 2nd renessaince tech (after Astronomy).

Whatever religious centers are left after the renaissance missionary spam (which I plan to extend as long as possible btw) I plan to cleanse with Prophets during Industrial era. If they don't like it and DoW me then they are of course asking for it, and in that case I will happily raze those heretic cities. :D But, in principle a peaceful approach should be possible, and this is what I want to find out actually.

Also, keep in mind that all Civs must have at least one city at the end and all city-states should be liberated. And you won't be able to liberate a Civ that you have wiped out yourself as far as I know.

In terms of tech, you should be tech leader throughout with that start and reaching Future Tech will be the easiest one to achieve. At the end it won't matter though, as all Civs will be in future tech, and the deity AI will outproduce you ... but not outsmart you :p

In any case, focus on your midterms now and have something to look forward to after that ;)

Lol, talk about a cooked map. Can you post a save with the same start but normal speed? My PC can't handle late-game load times on Epic...

Seems I still have a lot to learn ... got Edu Turn 92 ... despite getting GL on Turn 27 and the NC on turn 35 and having food-focus throughout ...

Did you not go for Optics after Writing/Calendar for the Lighthouse?

I saved my money for Unis and Observatory and just bought a Monument+Lighthouse hard-building Worker and Granary ... no trade means no money for some time so ...

Also, I delayed HG since I felt Stonhenge was somewhat of a higher priority ...

Still OCC and just bulbed Astro with Oxford ... heading for Chivalry now to pump out some Conquistadores .... :)

Spoiler :

i cant remember exactly what i did early on (turn 202 now) i built so many wonders.. i have almost all except ToA/terracotta/mausoleum/machu.. i just made sure to get all the sheep/wheat connected and working first.. bought a bunch of sheep tiles when needed.. didnt connect any gold or research masonry to keep the happy minimized to delay first GA until i could build CI and connect as much gold as possible.. built work boats and bought LH.. HG then moved on to petra after i finally realized i had a desert start too :eek:.. i have been paying thru the nose for continuous ILTKDs in the capital (28gpt!)

i'm pretty sure i hard built observatory but bought university.. i spent a lot of gold on other stuff.. 4 turn observatory aint bad =)

i bulbed astro with my first great scientist using oxford for radio.. settled the second GS on the horses.. will park the rest.. maybe bulb one on plastics if i cant time rationalism finisher which seems likely if i go for commerce.. all the culture i'll gain from worlds fair is a long way away from now...

picked order for ideology (-25% GP + discounted buildings)... 4 in rationalism.. 1 patronage.. next turn will be order's factory science policy just as coal is connected then open up commerce for big ben..

finished tradition with oracle then opened up exploration to combine with great lighthouse (which was built very very late) which ultimately turned out not to be so necessary as everyone is more or less clumped together... even got colossus on my way down from astronomy to printing press..
WC was delayed a bit as i didnt build any scouts and my lone warrior and conq couldnt find ghengis.. deep inside the continent.. ultimately WC was formed once khan was eliminated..

i settled two cities on wonder island right after astro/chivalry and farmed most of the water hills luckily just before electricity (aluminum) otherwise they would be forced to be mines.. 2 food/3 hammer tiles they are now..

first WC vote i picked culture from national wonders which BARELY passed after i went around with my spies to buy some votes to combine with forbidden palace.. worlds fair is next vote..

religion: faith from natural wonders pantheon.. 2 faith from world wonders.. 2 faith every city.. enhanced with 15% growth.. cheaper and stronger prophets..
timed everything perfectly faith wise.. HS right after natural GP spawn.. another GP with pisa after natural GP spawn.. but i still will not convert the world.. its taking like 5k faith to pop the next GP and i'd rather save that for a GE or a few GSs...

just about everybody is my friend and we're signing RAs with me loaning them gold as needed.. i'm on my way to plastics with a diversion to chemistry..

Spoiler :

ghengis is emotionless after being brought back from the dead by polynesia :crazyeye:

woops!!!!!
i just loaded up an auto save to check on this...
i had a feeling i exaggerated slightly.. more than slightly it appears!
i got education on turn 97... i musta been thinking about civil service in my brain as i had been doing a lot of GL vs no GL starts recently testing their effects on reaching civil service..

sowwy! :blush:

i had a feeling i exaggerated slightly..

Thanks for clearing that up; in fact, I tried again buying more tiles etc. but was able to improve it by one turn only :p

Spoiler :

Turn 189, Renaissance, just got Chemistry and Navigation and now researching Economics on my path to Scientific Theory.

Still at peace and the religious situation is taking shape:
T189Rel.jpg
T189Pol.jpg

Need to make some strategic decision now, on where to take it next.

Denmark capital is closest to mine and has two World Wonders (Zeus and Great Lighthouse; both somewhat strategically important for warfare); however, he is also following my religion, so I wonder if it's worth it to attack now just to take the capital, while trying to sign for peace after that. Also, he's currently at war with Japan (which is also following my religion and a potential long term ally) and it could be opportunistic to attack while that war is still going. Alternatively I could wait for Battleships (instead of Frigates), but that would be much later.

Assyria looks like I might be able to just erase his religion with a Prophet.

America could be problematic. Has own religion with 19 cities following it and has also built the Great Wall. The capital like most of his cities are non-coastal. By the looks of it America will be the runaway civ (has 16 cities already of average pop 10). And he has loads of friends too (most notably Sweden which is my friend also). A city razing campaign would be in order, but tactically difficult and might have to wait for Cavalry/Bombers/Carriers. But it might be too late then so I wonder if an artillery approach wouldn't be more effective.

Germany has two World Wonders (Mausoleum and Pyramids), not that important and can definitely wait. But Bismarck has his own religion with 10 cities following it, and spreading fast since he's up in a corner difficult for me to reach.

It's fun but Huge and Epic weren't really necessary :X

Especially if you want us to grab so many conditions, AI deity already slows down the game a lot on standard size. Not sure if I have the patience to go for so many conditions on Epic speed.

man, this map is crazy....

t25 GL
t31 one with nature
t34 NC
t39 ToA
t41 religion (tithe + +15% growth)
t48 HG
t55 enhance (holy order + religious community)
t56 Petra
t62 Parthenon
t66 NE
writer's guild, stable, market, mint
t92 edu
t100 astro (oxford)
t101 rati open + secularism (oracle)

I guess, the plan has to be - religion + peity policy for cheap purchase of missionaries + great mosque, spam a lot and get as many cities from the civs with no religion. Save the prophets. Conquer the other holy cities, and use inquisitors to erase their religions, and then use the prophets to remove whats left from these religions.

The real problem is the unit cap ...

I'm T320 Medium victory will be easy but Hard victory will be very hard.
I forget restriction 2. I need to get some Zulus Cities to recall to life some civs. I can't wait X-Com or going threw cities to only liberate cities.
Culture victory is also a problem. I made great works with my GW. So fill all 9trees will be very long. I'll need to raze some empire to slow down AI victory. Fortunately, America, Germany and Sweden have a religion and mine wasn't spread to them cities. But with only 2 cities my army is limited.

I wasn't able to catch Mausoleum, Colossus, Statue of Zeus, Terracota and Pyramids in Madrid. I have all other.

Slower than glory7. I picked desert Folklore, forgot one with nature (and didn't known there's 3 other NW). Pilgrame + Sword into Plowshares + Messiah (Mistake Holy order should be better) + Evangelism. Never had so much faith : 324 fpt. A missionaries every 3 turn in Atomic Era. :wow:

In standard speed limit for turn is 500, in Epic it's 750 ?

I'm curious how you're able to complete all 9 social policy trees. I saved up 3 Great Writers to bulb right after I won World's Fair and dug up various hidden sites for Cultural Renaissance, but I'm at around turn 280ish and I don't think I'm close to completing all 9. (Completed Tradition, Liberty, Exploration, Rationalism, and opened/1~2 policies into everything else.) Even at a pace of a policy around every 10 turns, (which I'm hitting now but probably won't after a couple more policies) I don't think I'll be able to get to complete all 9 until somewhere around turn 350~400.

Also, is it worth settling a third city so I can rush-buy factories in order to get my Ideologies fast? Right now I have a third one just south of Kyoto to get an Observatory-City with Dyes and whatnot, and it's sort of pulling its own weight.

I'm curious how you're able to complete all 9 social policy trees. I saved up 3 Great Writers to bulb right after I won World's Fair and dug up various hidden sites for Cultural Renaissance, but I'm at around turn 280ish and I don't think I'm close to completing all 9. (Completed Tradition, Liberty, Exploration, Rationalism, and opened/1~2 policies into everything else.) Even at a pace of a policy around every 10 turns, (which I'm hitting now but probably won't after a couple more policies) I don't think I'll be able to get to complete all 9 until somewhere around turn 350~400.

Also, is it worth settling a third city so I can rush-buy factories in order to get my Ideologies fast? Right now I have a third one just south of Kyoto to get an Observatory-City with Dyes and whatnot, and it's sort of pulling its own weight.

Well, if it takes 400 turns then it takes 400 turns :p Nobody asks you to finish all trees in 300 turns. I guess OP intent was to compare victories at the same difficulty.

One thing for your try. You can't raze cities following your religion (option is disable). If you try this game, mind about that to slow down AI before spreading your religion.
So, I think, I will not able to complete all 9 trees before an AI can win. I start war too late (flight).

Alright, was finally able to finish the Medium challenge earlier today on Turn 382. (Albeit, it was a mix of Hard and Medium: it was simply easier to takeover Holy Cities and extinguish them with an Inquisitor then to have to constantly make sure they're not spreading it again. Also, Dominant with tourism/culture is fairly easy when you have every wonder and is plundering everything they have)

I was fairly lucky in that the culture/technology runaways also happen to have their own religion, so I was able to extinguish their religion while taking their arts and writings. Although near the end it simply takes too long to raze the city that I just bring a prophet along with me to convert some of the bigger cities.

The limit to how fast you can do it is definitely fulfilling all 9 social policy trees. I faith bought I think 5 or 6 Great Writers and saved every spawned Great Writers to bulb for Culture, and even then I was just sitting around and preventing Genghis Khan from losing his capital again for the last several turns waiting on my policy to appear. I guess I could shave off a few turns if I got lucky with Cultural Renaissance hidden ruins, or if I waited until the very end to activate World's Fair (where my Culture could probably hit close to ~5000 a turn) and bulb my Great Writers.

I was at 75 population when I finished, so I'm gonna guess another 100 turns before I hit 100 pops, if I want to hit that Hard Victory Condition too.

Top Bottom