Worker actions: Walls & Outposts

mavajo

Chieftain
I was wondering if it'd be possible to add a couple new actions to Workers - Build Wall and Build Outpost.

Outpost
Vision radius of 3 spaces. Basic purpose is to remove the fog of war in a given area, and provide recon in the area. Strength of roughly 10, plus terrain bonuses (if feasible). If terrain bonuses aren't practicle, then perhaps a flat strength of 12. I'm not sure if it'd even be technically possible to add a Worker function that would produce an attackable-object. Everything else they add has to be pillaged. If that rule would apply to the Outpost, then buff it's vision radius up to 4 or 5.

Walls
These may be entirely impossible. The idea would be for Workers to be able to build walls. They could build it one wall segment at a time, or an entire stretch of wall (ala building a single road or a stretch of road). Walls would be impassable to all ground units, and could only be destroyed by siege and gunpowder units (basically rendering the walls obsolete by the time you get to the later eras, as they should be). You might want to build a wall for a variety of reasons - cordoning off an area you want to settle later, preventing the advance of barbarians, etc.

I imagine both would require Stone to construction. I've always felt like it'd be nice to have this option in the game. Cool compliment to cultural borders. I like having barbarians in the game, but it gets tedious having them constantly randomly stream into your civilization and pillage stuff. It's not challenging - just annoying. I don't want to have to completely turn barbarians off, nor do I want to have to position dozens of units all over the place to remove the fog of war. Walls and Outposts would help with both issues. Construction time could be about the same as it is for roads - requires same tech as City Walls.

Anyone else think it would be a cool idea, or would it change the game too much and cheapen things?

I imagine your outpost idea is feasable using python. Basically you would have to add a worker action that creates the outpost as a non-Mobile Unit. To create a worker action, you would have to follow methods used to fire off spells in mods such as FFH.
When friendly units are in the same plot as your outpost, then you would give them a promotion that enhances visiblity. That promotion would be removed when they leave that plot.

Top Bottom