[Religion and Revolution]: General Questions and Discussions

In my current game my city expanded it´s radius.

However 1 of the tiles is within the neighbouring french city.

The french city is sill using only a 1 tile radius - except for that 1 tile where hemp grows...

cityborder.jpg

So - how can the french occupy that tile if they haven´t grown to use all tiles within a 2tileradius?

Could that because of me adding a few resources using STRG-W?

Edit: Is it possible to grow more culture than the french to push them out from that tile or is the maximum city radius in R&R
21 (3+5+5+5+3)?

So - how can the french occupy that tile if they haven´t grown to use all tiles within a 2tileradius?
The French city has actually grown to a 2-tile radius. This can be seen on sea tiles. However, it has accumulated less culture than you on the 2 tiles on which both your city and theirs share influence, so those 2 tiles are culturally considered yours.

If you hover your mouse on the shared tiles, you can check in the bottom left corner the proportion of culture between you and the French. That's important to be sure you're securing your influence. In case the French city would produce culture faster than you, you could then lose the majority and the tiles will be lost.

Considering the hemp tile, a 2-tile cultural radius is not yet enough for your city to culturally reach it. You would need first to get a 3-tile radius for that, and then to grow enough culture on that tile to "overtake" the culture accumulated by the French. It's possible but it will take time, so don't focus on it.

The French city has actually grown to a 2-tile radius. This can be seen on sea tiles. However, it has accumulated less culture than you on the 2 tiles on which both your city and theirs share influence, so those 2 tiles are culturally considered yours.

If you hover your mouse on the shared tiles, you can check in the bottom left corner the proportion of culture between you and the French. That's important to be sure you're securing your influence. In case the French city would produce culture faster than you, you could then lose the majority and the tiles will be lost.

Considering the hemp tile, a 2-tile cultural radius is not yet enough for your city to culturally reach it. You would need first to get a 3-tile radius for that, and then to grow enough culture on that tile to "overtake" the culture accumulated by the French. It's possible but it will take time, so don't focus on it.

Do cities in R&R actually grow to a 3-tile radius? I haven´t played that far yet in a game of R&R.

After restarting the game I have more questions:
The french seem to love to hug their colonies right next to indian villages, both in my first attempt at R&R and here again:

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

I remember the game stopping me from building a new city too near an english colony. Does that minimum disctance only work for european colonies? Is there a way to have it apply to "native-friendly" colonizers (e.g. the french) too when they build near an indian village?

After exploring some ruins I got a treasure cart and used the goto command to make it go to Nieuw Amsterdam. The way it plotted cut right through yet undiscovered wilderness. Is there a way to prevent treasure carts to do that and have them stick only to known lands?

Do cities in R&R actually grow to a 3-tile radius? I haven´t played that far yet in a game of R&R.
Colonies can work plots in a 5x5 area. However they only give you ownership of 3x3 when founded, meaning you have to build buildings to expand.

I remember the game stopping me from building a new city too near an english colony. Does that minimum disctance only work for european colonies? Is there a way to have it apply to "native-friendly" colonizers (e.g. the french) too when they build near an indian village?
You can ignore natives when placing colonies. However they have a tendency to become angry if you take land from them. The French have a bonus towards natives, which makes them less angry. I'm not sure if that matters here or if the AI is ignoring natives. It happens occasionally that AI Europeans get wiped out by natives.

After exploring some ruins I got a treasure cart and used the goto command to make it go to Nieuw Amsterdam. The way it plotted cut right through yet undiscovered wilderness. Is there a way to prevent treasure carts to do that and have them stick only to known lands?
Manual control would be the answer.

The pathfinder considers unexplored terrain to have movement cost like flatland (that is, one movement point). When a unit is asked to go somewhere (either goto or automated/AI controlled) it will pick the fastest route. If the only way you know goes through forest and hills, the unit will attempt to circle the "slow terrain" to see if it can find a faster way to reach the destination.

It may not be the wisest movement pattern for a treasure, but it makes perfect sense for say a transport. The AI moves constantly between two colonies and it will eventually know the fastest way to get between those two colonies. It also makes good sense for ships as they assume all unexplored plots to be water, which is usually true unless it is in a costal area.

The pathfinder considers unexplored terrain to have movement cost like flatland (that is, one movement point). When a unit is asked to go somewhere (either goto or automated/AI controlled) it will pick the fastest route. If the only way you know goes through forest and hills, the unit will attempt to circle the "slow terrain" to see if it can find a faster way to reach the destination.

Is it possible to manually change the expected movement cost of unexplored terrain to be considered to have the HIGHEST cost (so that not only treasure carts but normal settlers too, stick to known lands unless there is no other way and don´t all try to take a shortcut through the unknown)?

Is it possible to manually change the expected movement cost of unexplored terrain to be considered to have the HIGHEST cost
It should be possible, but it requires DLL editing. It does handicap the AI though as it would explore less. Also if it is ok for ships and scouts, but not treasures, it will have to make a runtime switch, which would slow down the game. Pathfinding is the slowest part of the entire game and the larger the map, the more time pathfinding takes relatively to the other tasks (like twice the number of plots/cities mean twice the time, but pathfinding could take 5 times as long). Adding features to pathfinding, which slows it down even further doesn't sound like an ideal thing to do.

You could just move the weak units manually. It might make sense anyway due to avoiding animals. Manually picking a route to walk on hills would be the best way to avoid animals and that would be too complex for any pathfinder to make such a route.

It may not be the wisest movement pattern for a treasure, but it makes perfect sense for say a transport. The AI moves constantly between two colonies and it will eventually know the fastest way to get between those two colonies. It also makes good sense for ships as they assume all unexplored plots to be water, which is usually true unless it is in a costal area.

A nice example of my current game where assuming that unexplored area is an easy way is not the brightest thing to do:

Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

I had filled the ships cargo hold with goods bought from the natives and then used the goto command to send it to my main port to transfer it´s load and ship it to Europe. Now it tries to be the first one finding the northwestpassage starting in Peru...

Hi,

I am new here, but not new with the game and mod. I would really like to thank for this great mod that me and my friends enjoy so much.

I have a question regarding a problem we keep having, I tried to use the search function but I could not find a clear answer for it.
If this is not the right forum for it, please help me guide where to ask.

With the 2.4 Mod me and my friends had great games, except we are not able to bargain with natives/kings for lower prices. When one of us tries, we get an Out of Sync error.
Same things happens for us in 2.5 (latest version availible) we tried the same thing, but still gives us Out of Sync errors when bargaining with natives. Also more random Out of Sync errors occur we cant pin point whats going on. It was so bad we couldnt play a normal game.

To still enjoy the night and play the game, we switched back to 2.4 and had fun. We always agree when playing, that no one uses the bargain for lower prices option. Even then we sometime still get the Out of Sync issue, but rarely.
Ive tried to clear cache for all 3 clients, this didnt help anything.

Please help?

- Shadow

Last edited:
Hi,

yea - we will switch back to 2.4 + RaR Ext ....
2.5.x is (at best) an beta relase with a couple of bugs and focused on singleplayer only.
Sad, it looks promissing, but the best and nice new features dont help, is the game not running properly (and even more worse in Multiplayer ..).
This is an game where run over hundred of turns, and i dont waste my time if it get unrecoverable at turn 250 or so ....

Regards

The bugs for single player have been fixed. It is not a beta release any more. I play games on hugh maps with more than 350 turns and have no problems or freezes. The mod works fine.

However, you are correct that 2.5 currently focusses on single player only. I would need the help of an experienced modder to solve multiplayer issues.

Hi,

first, the mod was marked the last years as multiplayer capable mod ...
So , if you switch R&R Mod not officialy to "Singleplayer Only" from Version >2.4 , it is still Beta (at best) - as one of an important feature not work right (multiplayer) .....
foreseen trivial quality errors in the actual download (2.5.1.5) as the GlobalDefinesAlt.xml in the "2 city plot radius" folder is different to the default installed (where should be the "2 plot radius" ....) it would be good to mark it as "in Multiplayer still desyncs" or simply "Beta" - singleplayer work ....
So many user can avoid waste time, in install it and by try to play it in MP, get frustrates and musst switch back to 2.4 ... (like me ...)
As i say - it is nice this gem get developed again ... but it should clear marked what the user get with the new version (an full working single/multiplayer Mod) or an "beta" where the more complex multiplayer bugs musst still get ironed out before it is a real sucessor for 2.4 ....
So the user that play it in singleplayer can play it, and the other wait or help with bug hunting ...

Regards

Fixing the desync when bargaining with natives is on my todo list. I know RaRE has a few random desyncs, but I can't pinpoint them, partly due to being rare and unpredictable. I haven't tried RaR 2.5 in network games yet and can't comment on any new desync issues. I have no idea what could introduce new issues, but I value network stability so high that if the problem can't be fixed, I might go back to maintain RaRE. There are plenty of stuff I want to try before giving up though.

Hi,

i have played with 2.4+ReRE with an friend over 280 turns with nearly zero problems ... but with the new 2.5.1.5 relase.... horrible ...
Have startet an 2 player game fresh -> after 3h play time desync and no recover (have this as save game in the bug section ..)
Have startet an 3 player game fresh ... the same .... desync after ~2-3h .. and after all playe quit and i (the host) reload the game, after 2 turns - again desync ...
Have startet again an 2 player game with another friend .. the same ... after a couple of time (turns) we get desyncs and the game never recover from this ... so unplayable ..
we give up ....

Regards

Hi,

as suggestion ...
I use the "EUROPE_MARKET_CORRELATION_PERCENT" varable in the game ...
But it would be nice, can we have (if this possible) for Africa and Port Royal different varables ...
So in total, 3 variables like this ...

Regards

How many people would you say a size 55 city actually has?
5500 seems bafflingly low to me, and it's kinda crushing my suspension of disbelief more than the fact that I cheated to settle New Sweden on the west coast of the US.

Similarly, if the game's demographics screen (one of the tabs tied to score) reports you as having 55k people total across the colony (which has like seven cities above 30 population), how much would you say then?
I have way fewer military units than I do units of population in settlements, but my population is listed as 55k, and...my soldier population as 110k.

Not asking for anything to be changed, just asking for help mentally sorting this out so it'll make sense.

How many people would you say a size 55 city actually has?
5500 seems bafflingly low to me, and it's kinda crushing my suspension of disbelief more than the fact that I cheated to settle New Sweden on the west coast of the US.

Similarly, if the game's demographics screen (one of the tabs tied to score) reports you as having 55k people total across the colony (which has like seven cities above 30 population), how much would you say then?
I have way fewer military units than I do units of population in settlements, but my population is listed as 55k, and...my soldier population as 110k.

Not asking for anything to be changed, just asking for help mentally sorting this out so it'll make sense.
I'm not really sure what should be the preferred value, but I edited the demographics screen multiple times in my mod.
@Schmiddie
If you want to update it for RaR, check CvCity::getRealPopulation()

Actually I'm not even sure what a single unit in the colony represents.
Should the population number be linear with the number of units in your colony, or follow a slow exponential curve as in vanilla Civ IV?

There is a debate about this somewhere in one of the RaR threads, though I don't remember which one. It ended up with figuring out how many people each unit represents and this number depends on the year. Early on it's fairly few people, but as the years pass, the number of people for each unit should increase. The result was some formula, which would make realistic total population counts for the entire timespand from first colony to declaring independence. I can't remember if it was ever implemented though.

Well, it's 1675 for me, and my capital is basically fully upgraded.
I want to have some sense of at which point glorious Nya Sverige's population eclipses the frigid motherland's.

Top Bottom