CivFanatics -- Hands-On Civ4 Preview

Civrules said:
There is no pollution. Its annoyance is gone! :)

Obviously, I'm reading all your questions but since some of the questions require new info to be revealed/detailed explenations, I won't try and answer them, and its not because I'm ignoring them. :) Overall if I had the chance to answer them I would and I think the answers would be good. ;)

I can talk about more obvious things and mention a few things on general game-play feel, etc.

That said, I will say again the JOMT Syndrome is alive and well, and more addictive than ever.

Like the preview said, you can also have more than one religion even in a city.

It might be hard for you guys to believe, but I'm also anticipating Civ4's release. :p The reason behind it is because I (as well as Firaxis and the other testers) want to hear what you guys think of it! And like Trip said a few posts back, what fun is revealing all the info now? ;)

But then again, speaking of new info, it will be coming rather soon here.

*nods* Yep, it's fun watching a bunch of addicts sweat and twitch while they guess what's in the game. ;)

Chieftess said:
*nods* Yep, it's fun watching a bunch of addicts sweat and twitch while they guess what's in the game. ;)

And us not being able to answer... :mischief:

Civrules said:
And us not being able to answer... :mischief:

And thinking, "ahh, if you only knew!". ;)

Chieftess said:
And thinking, "ahh, if you only knew!". ;)
Oh I know, I have been playing Civ4 (in my mind) for weeks now. I posted my prediction for Civ4 a month ago, I bet I'm closer to correct then wrong........;)

Aussie_Lurker said:
Says WHO??? I have wanted this game since they first announced it all those months ago!!! Sure my enthusiasm has 'waxed and waned', but it has never diminished my desire for the game. The best part is that these previews have left me on a perpetual state of WAXING enthusiasm!!!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Wow, my bad. I was talking about the thread started by Helmling. I don't know why I got you two confused. Sorry.

Marc

Awesome article, Civrules! :goodjob:

Now, I've three questions I hope you can answer:

1) When customizing the map before a game, can you set the name and adjective of the civ you've chosen? For example, if you pick the Romans, change it to Whoopians and the adjective from Roman to Whoopian?

2) I've read about the different game speeds, so I must ask you about Epic games. How longer are them compared to the standard game? I've always wanted longer games. I assume Epic decreases the amount of years that go by each turn, and proportionately increases production and research times.

3) Has war weariness changed? If so, is it possible to "safely" wage war without having all your cities in civil disorber within five turns? That'd make the game a tad more enjoyable for me, given the fact I was always forced to conduct blitz wars in Civ III, and constantly switching from war to peace, peace to war to calm my citizens down during long campaigns.

Thanks in advance for your attention, Civrules. Keep up the good work. :)

@ Cheiftess and Civrules: Your going to keep going till were all too mad to play the game, arn't you?

"Whats XXXX like?"
"Oh, I cant tell you buts its really really good"

"How does YYYY work?"
"That been improved alot but I cant tell you how."

:cry: Its tourture! :crazyeye:

Lord Shadow said:
Awesome article, Civrules! :goodjob:

Now, I've three questions I hope you can answer:

1) When customizing the map before a game, can you set the name and adjective of the civ you've chosen? For example, if you pick the Romans, change it to Whoopians and the adjective from Roman to Whoopian?

2) I've read about the different game speeds, so I must ask you about Epic games. How longer are them compared to the standard game? I've always wanted longer games. I assume Epic decreases the amount of years that go by each turn, and proportionately increases production and research times.

3) Has war weariness changed? If so, is it possible to "safely" wage war without having all your cities in civil disorber within five turns? That'd make the game a tad more enjoyable for me, given the fact I was always forced to conduct blitz wars in Civ III, and constantly switching from peace to war, peace to war to calm my citizens down during long campaigns.

Thanks in advance for your attention, Civrules. Keep up the good work. :)

1) Its already been said before that "pretty much everything can be renamed." :)

2) Epic takes a loong time (so you definitely shouldn't worry about it being fast). I actually find the quick game much more fun because you get a quick dose of everything there is. I recomend that if you're playing Civ4 for the first time you play a quick game to get the feel for it. :D Or just play the Tutorial. It's a good way to learn things you might need later on.
But if I'm in the mood for a long game, I play epic (and when I have more time).

3) Certain Civics do make a big difference in wars. :) That's why I said that if you are Spiritual, it'll be much easier to switch civics, and basically make your government respond faster in different situations.

Aussie_Lurker said:
Hiya Civrules. Now, I realise you might be limited in what you can reveal here, but I was wondering if you could answer a few 'critical questions' for me.

-Have you played any games where you deliberately limit yourself to just a few larger cities (say 4-6)? If so, how successful did this tactic prove compared to civ3?

- A few strong cities are definitely more powerful, especially when you have lots of culture (since the affect they have on your neighbors). They will become even more powerful if you drop a great artist in them. ;)

-How easy is it for naval units to block trade routes-both along the coasts and over the ocean? Do you think blockading is going to be one of the keys to a much more important naval system?

-I think this is definitely a step in the right direction for the navy. It is even more important because now you've got to worry about protecting resources in the water outside your cities. :)

-Oh, I noticed from the screenshot how few turns are required to get those early techs, does it get significantly harder as you go along, or did you simply have your science slider up full bore? ;)

It really depends if you're far ahead and coming back to get the techs you have not researched. Remember that game speed also affects this!

Thanks for your preview Civrules, it is absolutely brilliant and makes me want this game even MORE!!!!! Man, still 11 days to go-thats just TOO LONG!!!

Sorry I couldn't answer all of the questions though!

yendorII said:
quote: "Just One More Turn Syndrome for the first time, which, by the way, is much stronger here in the new game"

NOOOOOOOOOO!

I've spent thousands of hours since civ 2 came out on this game because of that syndrome It cant be worse or I shall forget to eat and drink, I already dont sleep how much more can you ask of me Firaxis? You are indeed a cruel taskmaster.

Indeed, they are a cruel taskmaster - I have the wounds to prove it! :whipped:

Hi Civrules, excellent review by the way. It actually touches on some of the things that interest the future players gameplay-wise. Taking your age into account only makes it that much more impressive. Just wanted to say keep up the good work as it is greatly appreciated. :goodjob:

Trip said:
Sorry...

There's something to be said for having some fun exploring. ;)

Says the guy who's been playing for a long time ;)

Thunderfall said:
I will post something today. :)
As in by you or the chieftess multiplayer one?

Now I am going to have to hit refresh repeatedly till it comes up. :cry:

Meleager said:
As in by you or the chieftess multiplayer one?

Now I am going to have to hit refresh repeatedly till it comes up. :cry:
It's that "big thing" I mentioned. ;)

No need to refresh too often. I likely will post it in the morning or at noon my time...

Top Bottom