rally point help

destiny999

Chieftain
I'm usually play on large map and war type, however i'm having problem later on when i have lots of cities each producing malitary unit - is there a way to set up rally point for ALL NEW UNIT produced (from all or one of the city) to go to a certain point on the map? it really is a pain to redirect them all individually >_<

thanx

thanx...i tried that but to me it seem only work in the early part of the game.....

i load old savegame which were quite later in to the game and try the same method (click on one of the city then shift and right on the tile i want to rally) it didn't work.. the yellow circle appeared but the newly built unit will not go to it :cry: it just sit there wait for my input :(

Did you try setting another city as the rally point? Several people have reported that rally points don't work for them if they set a city as the rally point, but do work if they set a non-city tile as the rally point.

nop..don't work... again early in the game rally point works great..but it sopt working later in the game.. donno why.. oh well..thanx for the help ^_^

Hold CTRL down, click on a city bar to select all citys (the bars are highlighted) then shift right click on a non city tile.

I had the impression, that I have to reset it if I build some new citys.

Uncheck "Units Auto-Promote" in the option -> game menu will work. What I tend to do is:

a. Uncheck "units Auto-Promote" and set the rally point
b. After X number of turns, I have plenty of units on the rally point and are not promoted. To promote them all at once, check "units Auto-Promote" box and end the turn.
c. In X+1 turn, all the units will be promoted and all the units produced in this turn need to be moved manually to the rally point. Uncheck "units Auto-Promote". End the turn.
d. Back to b.

I may be stupid but :
Why do you auto-promote your units ?
it is a bit risky no?
you are confident in the computer's choices for promotion? You are not choosing promotion depending on your 'war-and-defense' strategies?

I heard that the best use of promotion is to earn xp, and when needed, uppgrade many promotion in one turn to respond to a certain threat. (it may be only one promotion or maybe more depending on the occurence of the threats). and though I am reluctant to not assigne promotion when they are earned, I think it a very good advice I try to perform, but relying on the computer ...eeek:eek:

ForbiddenPalace said:
Uncheck "Units Auto-Promote" in the option -> game menu will work. What I tend to do is:

a. Uncheck "units Auto-Promote" and set the rally point
b. After X number of turns, I have plenty of units on the rally point and are not promoted. To promote them all at once, check "units Auto-Promote" box and end the turn.
c. In X+1 turn, all the units will be promoted and all the units produced in this turn need to be moved manually to the rally point. Uncheck "units Auto-Promote". End the turn.
d. Back to b.

You seem to me a newbie in Civ 4. Any ways, doing anything "Auto" is never recommended unless you don't know how to do that or what are their benefits. I would rather recommend you to Promote your units based on the strategies. Like if you have 10 Axemen, don't give all of them same promotions. Give some of them +Strength, and some of them should have +City Attack, etc. Give at least 1 unit in a stack a Medic promotion (as it helps to heal all the units in a stack very quickly).

I only use auto-promote when I want to play quick games. What I have mentioned is my gameplay style when I try to squeeze time to play a civ game and cannot afford to micro-manage every unit. I don't think auto-promote should be used in more strategic playing styles even though the computer's choices are reasonable in general. Auto-promote is only a feature offered by the game that I tend to use, and not because that I don't know promote based on the needs nor how to promote manually. I am not a hardcore player, but certainly not a newbie in terms of the basic gameplay.

Top Bottom