Team Free Embassy

Looking at the turn tracker it really seems that FREE has participation trouble. Kuningas pc is broken, and there's no replacement...

Response from FREE!
And it's all good news for us! :thumbsup:

Dear General_W and the other wise members of The Council,

We do plan to sign the agreement but we have had trouble finding the right instrument! This has been my failure, but that will be resolved soon. (MS Paint won't do circles and I am not at home.)

Also, our beloved leader, Kuningas, has had recent problems with his PC, and is temporarily unavailable. He has availed himself to the great sages Ginger_Ale and RegentMan and they are aware of his plight and that of our team. Either azzaman333 (former President) or myself will be short term leaders of Team FREE, depending on who can get to the saved game first.

Our advice would be to accept the SABER deal; it helps us both and stalls them. That is, they shouldn't be asking for more once they get something. (Unless they are used-car salesman, that is. :D)

I wonder what pressure they are under to try to make a deal so quickly?

I apologize for being so brief, but to summarize:

We do accept the treaty.

We are trying to spruce up our signature.

We think the SABER deal should be made.

We do plan to play this turn and move the game on.

As it stands now, to the best of my knowledge, either azzaman333 or I will play this next turn. I am not sure who will play after that.

Sincerely yours,

CommandoBob
FREE Foreign Minister (Acting)
Let FREEdom Ring
Let the white dove sing...

So, now we just need to decide what to tell Saber next...

Follow-up from FREE:

Greetings to General_W and the wise peoples of The Council,

I present to you our signature and seal on the proposed, and now accepted, treaty.

Our beloved President Kuningas is still stricken with a sickly silicone based machine, so I am still doing double duty as Turn Player and Foreign Minister.

We learned Code of Laws a few turns back and are currently researching Republic, due in 13 turns or so. I am not sure of the mechanics of trading in a PBEM, so I would ask that The Council initiate the Code of Laws for MapMaking trade so that we can accept it.

How did the SABER trade go?

CommandoBob
FREE Foreign Minister (Acting)
FREE Turn Player (Temporary)
Let FREEdom Ring
Let the white dove sing...

Now that we have a time frame for republic, construction and with SABER in the mix I think we should talk to FREE about revising the actual timing of our tech swaps. If they give us CoL now that makes it cheaper for SABER to research it. I think it is worth asking FREE to hold off on the CoL for MM trade for now. The idea is also to try to get currency for free:

zyxy said:
Another alternative is to time settling blue dot at the turn we research HBR. We can then block Myst, make sure we got CoL from FREE and then Currency would be the cheapest tech.)

We can time things so we pop both our huts then (one by city and the other with a warrior). Assuming we can get HBR in 4 turns we should get it a turn (or two) after FREE learns republic. So, we should trade MM for CoL right before we learn HBR.

I'm really wondering if we should hold off on other tech swaps (excpeting those techs SABER already has) till we're ready to jump to the middle ages. Why let SABER research cheaper if we dont' have to?

Now that we have a time frame for republic, construction and with SABER in the mix I think we should talk to FREE about revising the actual timing of our tech swaps. If they give us CoL now that makes it cheaper for SABER to research it. I think it is worth asking FREE to hold off on the CoL for MM trade for now.

Yup, nice for the Lighthouse build too.

I would prefer to hold off on tech swaps for now, also because we don't want to let SABER know how encompassing our tech deal is.

I agree. :agree:

Once we settle on our tactic with Saber, I'll draft a note to FREE explaining what we're doing with Saber and asking them to delay trading any non-critical techs to prevent lowering the cost for Saber.

Per the discussion going on in the Saber Embassy:

I think it may be worthwhile to go ahead and send FREE a letter right now, to start the ball rolling on how flexible they want to be on going outside the alliance for some techs.

Here's the letter I propose sending (Today even, if possible!)

Dear brothers at FREE,

We are most pleased to have our treaty with you officially sealed and on display in The Council Hall of Records.
We are sorry to hear of the recent trouble with these fearsome sounding "machines" you mention. We plan to sacrifice some dancing fruit in hopes of securing a speedy resolution! :banana:

We're pleased to inform you that our deal with Saber has gone through, and our Alliance is now in possession of The Wheel and Ceremonial Burial. We will transfer this knowledge to you right away.

We have just learned that Saber has come into possession of knowledge of Currency. We are currently debating the merits of proposing to a trade of Construction for Saber's knowledge of Currency and (Mysticism? Horseback Riding?).
As of yet, we haven't mentioned anything to Saber about this – but before we even bring it up, we'd like to get your feedback on this. Again, this deal saves our alliance from researching some expensive techs, and speeds us on our way to the Middle Ages.
The deal doesn't help Saber get Republic or Libraries – so we like that! Finally, given the aquatic nature of our world, we're not as worried about those Sipahis as we once were.

Do you think we should pursue this potential deal with Saber? IF Saber were to agree to it, we might need to adjust the MAAP, but we're confident it could be made totally fair.
Please respond asap with your thoughts, as Saber likes to move fast!

Finally, on trading CoL and Map Making:
While we're delighted to send you The Wheel and CB right away, we're thinking we can probably do without Code of Laws for a while. We have reason to believe that Saber is researching it right now, or will be soon – so we'd rather delay that trade to avoid making the tech cheaper for Saber. Hopefully you're not in any hurry either?
We're confident we can trust you, and can make the switch once it will no longer benefit Saber.

Looking forward to hearing back from you on these matters!

All the Best,
Your Brothers in Bluish,
General_W, speaking with the voice of The Council

Thoughts? Feedback?

EDIT: Sent to FREE gmail and to CommandoBob gmail. 4/27/07

One small typo:
While we're delighted to send you The Wheel and CB right away, but we're thinking we can probably do without Code of Laws for a while...

BUT is superfluous... unless we drop the WHILE at the start of the sentence.

Other than that, it looks good.

ok - everyone hasn't directly spoken up - but I've got a pretty good sense that most of The Council agrees to this note - so in the interest of speed, I'm sending it now. (with Peter's typo correction!)
:salute:

EDIT: Sent to FREE gmail and to CommandoBob gmail. 4/27/07

I'll give my consent after the fact :).

Obviously we meant to say Wheel + Warrior Code, but they'll understand.

Does FREE already know we're researching construction first? Do they need to know?

:hmm: I may be wrong about this, but I believe that SABER and FREE have met.

When you look at the trade table that Zyxy posted for the CB and WC trade to Free, there isn't anything listed under Communications - which, if I'm not mistaken, means that there are no communications we can offer to Free.

Luckily, you are wrong ;). The list of communications can be folded or unfolded to show the available civs. If we had no communications to trade, that header would not be there at all, so the image prooves that we have at least one communication to trade them

Now that we've made a trade with SABER we should update MAAP. There are things we want to be sure to accomplish before the dawning of the middle ages (popping huts, clearing barb camps). Keeping MAAP up to date will help us plan these and any trades we decide to make with SABER.

As I understand things (c. turn 73) we are researching construction which will be done in 9 turns. We still have currency and horseback riding on our side. We could prolly do HBR in 4 turns and we could get currency from SABER. Currency would take 8 or 9 turns for us to research. We could be done with our part of MAAP in as little as 13 turns (9 if we manage to get currency and HBR from SABER) or as long as 22 turns if we research it all ourselves. So we'll be done anywhere from turn 82 to turn 95.

FREE should be working on republic now and has mysticism and polytheism after that. I'm not sure when they will complete republic (should we ask?) nor how long it will take them to finish their side of MAAP. They do not have to research warrior code so using the original MAAP estimate they should be done on turn 99. This could also be shortened if we manage a trade with SABER for mysticism or polytheism.

Our expected completion time for the Great Lighthouse is turn 93.

We really need a better idea of how fast FREE is researching. That will influence how we adjust MAAP and also how important (or unimportant) any trades with SABER will be.

Yes, right. :agree:
We should update the table and both partners should inform the other about their calculation at least for the current research subject.

Maybe we should also publish current beaker rates and planned libraries. :hmm:

If we know early that we will have to wait for FREE, we could rather spare some beakers and put more stress on growth or production in some situations. Same the other way around.

I'm getting old and my memory is fading. FREE told us in their last letter that they expected to be done with republic in 13 turns. Looks like they'd finish a turn or two before we finish construction / horseback riding (if that's what we do next).

I find it hard to imagine that they'd be done with Republic in only 13 turns... 30 would seem more appropriate.

but then again, it's been a long time since I've played civ3 :blush:

Top Bottom