Votes: 21 42.0%
  • NEVER

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • I failed math and can't ad.

Votes: 7 14.0%

• Total voters

jeps

Arcadefire
Advertising is a huge part of our lives. It is everywhere, from our TV to the radio, internet, cars, billboards, newspapers.... My question to you is does advertising do anything for you? Have you ever watched infomercials, clicked the banner at the top of the forum on purpose, watched commercials (funny ones, but commercials nonetheless) on YouTube, or anything like that? If I were to tell you to Join a NES, would you care? Does your browser look like this?

Also, what sort of ads get your attention? Really stupid ads, funny ones, gimmicky, cliched, celebrity endorsements, repeatedly played, obnoxious, or just plain and simple "buy this!"?

Of course it does! There wouldn't be ads if they didn't work. If I'm at a gas station with an inkling for junk food, the one that was just on the tube is totally going to be mine. Newspaper and internet ads are things I also use, because sometimes I want to locate something specific at a decent price, these ads can help.

Ads that get my attention are that of products that interest me, ususally food products and beverages.

When I watch ads I try not to be swayed by the message. I take the ad for what it is and make a logical judgement.

Funny ads, creative ads generally gets my attention though, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy their products...

I vote NEVER but i meant i don't want to see them, i don't want to be influenced by them, i hate them and the people behind them.

I ignore all adds. If I ever need info about a product, I'll look it up myself.

They're a waste of my time, and indirectly my money. They clog up the view anywhere.
Adverts can be helpful if there's a genuinely innovative product that does something I didn't think needed doing.
They are not helpful when it's 'mmm oooh this product is the same as all the rest but our actress is prettier and makes better sounds'.
If it's toothpaste, soap, a car, clothing, shoes, computers, food, drink... and so on, I know it exists already. I'd rather do something worthwhile than see the inane drivel that corrupts our lives.

All adverts effect you one way or another. It doesn't mean that you will buy their products but they may influence you differently. . For example, a Coca Colla advert could influence you to go open your fridge and drink a Coca colla and you couldn't even realize it. Any random Pizza advert could influence you to want to buy pizza . I consider them unhealthy .

Nope, unless it something that I would want to buy anyway.

I love infomercials. I may not buy the prodects they sell, but they are much more entertaining than the average Television show. They are an excellent expenditure of money!

Do Americans spell the word "advertizing"? If not, why not?

I heard a commercial for Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi (I forget which) that was trumpeting the fact that 56% of people thought Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi (whichever one the commercial was for) had more 'cola taste'.

56%? Isn't that pretty close to a flip of the coin? Congratulations Mr Advertising-maker, you've just announced to the world that your product is very nearly indistinguishable from your competitor's... :goodjob:

Yes, if I like the product. However, the flip side also comes into play. A poorly done ad that irritates me due to its poor taste will sometimes prompt me to avoid a product in the future.

Take Herbal Essense Shampoo as an example. I don't use it anyway, but due to their "organic experience" commercials, I'm not unwilling to ever even give it any consideration. Totally inappropriate ads to be playing during the day when kiddies are watching.

Only funny ads, I would be swayed to try the product by them, if I don;t the product after trying it though it gets left, the ads draw me in :eek:

Generally ads do not affect me, but some do. Generally while I am on the net, I ignore all ads, but reading the paper and on the TV some ads can affect me. I think the best ones are those that are bring in a new product and it generally brings out the curiosity in people just to try it.

I am not an impulse buyer... I would say the ads rarely affect me that much. They're good for awareness of new products, but for the most part I don't care.

Yes, they work.
When I have the feeling that the ad or slogan is an insult to my intelligence, or when I am harrassed by the same pop-up or jingle too often I'll usually try to boycott the product.

Top Bottom