Barbarian

Rm80

Chieftain
View attachment 155167
This is my Conan rip-off Barbarian kinda unit.....

View attachment 155168

Preview shows run, default, fidget, fortify attacka and death.....there is a victory, pedia and 32pcx also in the zip....

Barbarian

Thanks to all of you on civfanatics for props, guides and suggestions in my creation thread and so on.

Edit: I re-did the death animation changed some movements on the body and also changed to spline section.

new death
View attachment 155182

The model isn't half bad, but I think the animations could use a little work. The movements seem sort of robotic, not fluid. Keep working at it, and you'll get the hang of it. Be sure to take your time and don't rush things.

well I wish I could say I don't agree with the feedback but I do^^.

I will try to fix some of the animations (especially that stupid death that I re-did 5 times becasue it did not look good).

After that I think I will give up the unit making stuff and do something else instead....maybe some scenario or something who knows :)

Yes, don't worry, these things do become much easier with practice.

The movements look rather as though you're using Linear Sections rather than Spline Sections. In the Key Frames editor, body parts or props that are being animated as Linear Sections appear as brown squares, while those that are being animated as Linear Sections appear as green squares. Basically, if they are brown, that means they will move direct from key frame to key frame, and then stop. If they are green, they will move in a more natural way, less robotically, and they will continue a bit after the key frames so that they don't stop abruptly. Most of the time you should make sure you're using Spline Sections, certainly for bodily movements, as they will appear much more fluid that way.

Modeled very very well, but as has been said, work on the fluidity ^^

And I think he's a tad too big, not that that's a bad thing for a fella like him ;)

I think he's great.

Very good model, but work a bit on the animations. They're good motions, just try to make them flow a bit more. For instance, have his head fall to this side while getting on his knees in the death.

Yes, don't worry, these things do become much easier with practice.

The movements look rather as though you're using Linear Sections rather than Spline Sections. In the Key Frames editor, body parts or props that are being animated as Linear Sections appear as brown squares, while those that are being animated as Linear Sections appear as green squares. Basically, if they are brown, that means they will move direct from key frame to key frame, and then stop. If they are green, they will move in a more natural way, less robotically, and they will continue a bit after the key frames so that they don't stop abruptly. Most of the time you should make sure you're using Spline Sections, certainly for bodily movements, as they will appear much more fluid that way.

Oh, crap. I should use this "spline section" business. I've been using "linear sections" this whole time!

Almost all of my units were made with "linear sections." It's not bad in and of itself; you just have to know what to expect and how to control it. But, I'll have to admit that my last two units were done with "spline sections" and I probably like the results better.

I would keep the feet as linear sections though. Otherwise, when you return the foot to the ground after stepping, the foot will go further down than you wanted—unless you put in a spline break, but I think it's simpler to use the "linear section" for the feet.

You'll also want to put spline breaks in when frames next to each other in your Poser file won't play next to each other in-game. For example, I always create my animations in Poser in this order.

default > fortify > attack > victory > death

I have to put a spline break on the last frame of the victory animation. Otherwise the movements from the victory animation will affect the beginning of the death animation, and that shouldn't happen.

Yea mate. I wouldn't give up the Unit Creation impulse just yet. Obviously you've put a great deal of enthusiasm into your first unit and the results are a thoroughly useable barbarian unit. I am going to slip him into my mod on things and I am sure others will find this guy equally useable.

Standing behind you, you have a plethora of established unit designers who never shy away from offering advice and tips on how to improve your work. Never once have I ever seen a finer example of a community that applauds constructive criticism to the degree that we do here at Fanatics.

Your units will get better and those of us who lack the time to do what you do will sure love usingthe units you produce. :goodjob:

I've always created ALL of my animations seperately. I might be the only one who does it this way. But I create a default pose and a fortified pose, use that for the first frame, then create a 10-15 frame animation that ends up in one of those two poses. Pretty much takes key frames out of the whole process.

I re-did the death and I think this one came out a little better.

I don`t think the stiff cape works well when he kneels.. it goes into the ground and it moves with him like its made of cardboard.. Not your fault, but now we know "kneeling deaths" are not recommended for caped units :)

But it looks better, regarding the other death issue ;)

I don`t think the stiff cape works well when he kneels.. it goes into the ground and it moves with him like its made of cardboard.. Not your fault, but now we know "kneeling deaths" are not recommended for caped units :)

But it looks better, regarding the other death issue ;)

Is it possible to use morphs or magnets on the cape to make it flap and not look so stiff?

Is it possible to use morphs or magnets on the cape to make it flap and not look so stiff?

The cape is Utahjazz's cape, and so comes with some movement morphs.

Nice to see one of the troll clubs in action. Over all pretty good job. Civ color is clear and viewable without being intrusive. Good selection of props and other details.

The animation is a little bit stiff.

For example:
He is a little too up right in most of the poses. Move his hips a little.
When he points to the left, have him glance the other way first... and as his hand come up to point, it would be natural for him to shift his weight (lean) slightly the other direction. Not alot, just a tiny bit. These little bits of movement really add a lot to a unit.

His cape should either stay on the ground or should flap up just slightly and then fall to the ground. use the morphs on the cape to control this.

I like this unit!

Top Bottom