(CONFIRMED) Military Academy Bug

The_CatSnack

Warlord
Not sure if this is a bug or not. Maybe I overlooked something in the tech tree, but I can't explain as to why I can build a Military Academy with my great general BEFORE i have the Military science technology. The game lists this as a prerequisite tech and yet in my last game I built one in one of my cities without a problem.

Maybe its like FFH, and a certain trait allows Military Academies to be built normally, but only with the right tech. IIRC you can build "Command Posts" using the Great Commander in FFH regardless of techs, but need "Military Strategy" and organized to build them without. The odd similarity sounds like its based off of FFH.

This is definitely a bug. Even though the Military Academy says it needs Military Science, it doesn't. You can build one as soon as you get your first Great General (even before Education which was the prequisite before IIRC).

Bug Description:
A great general can build a military academy before the player has the Military Science technology.

Expected Behavior
A great general should not be able to build a military academy until the player has discovered military science. When a great general is selected, the pop-up info (bottom left of the screen) note (in red) "Requires Military Science". As such, the "build military academy" unit action button should be disabled, and the building unavailable.

Actual Behavior
The "Build Military Academy" button is not disabled, and the building can be built.

Steps to reproduce
  1. Download the attached zip and extract the save file.
  2. Load the save and activate the Great General in Moscow.
  3. Observe that the pop-up says (in red) "Requires Military Science". Observe that the "Build Military Academy" unit action is not disabled.
  4. Push the "Build Military Academy" button, and observe that military academy is in fact built in Moscow.

Um . . . this is quite similar so I figured I'd post it in the same thread.

The same thing applies to Great Spies and scotland yard. It looks even more ridiculous than the Military Academy. THere shouldnt be a skyscraper in a Classical Era city.

This is weird. I have noticed the Build Academy button is 'live', but when pressing it it will not build the Military Academy. The button remains after pushing it. I can only build the MA after MS. I thought it was a bug that the button should be live, albeit not working (should be ghosted, or not there at all).

Does the Military Academy have an effect before Military Science is discovered? I did this last night but just assumed the production bonus would kick-in with the right tech. (i meant to click Military instructor anyway:rolleyes: )

Does the Military Academy have an effect before Military Science is discovered? I did this last night but just assumed the production bonus would kick-in with the right tech. (i meant to click Military instructor anyway:rolleyes: )

Yep.

Solver's Unofficial Patch fixes this BTW.

As I understand it, that is the whole point of the great General. He allows you to build the building WAY BEFORE you would otherwise be able to do it. I think that this is an intended benefit. The cofusing part is that they describe it as a unique building which it is not. I usually create military instructors, but if you are ina big war early on, a military acedemy is a nice benefit.

CMOS, Military Academy's can ONLY be built using Great Generals.

The idea is that not until you discover Military Science should you be able to use a GG to build a Mil. Academy.

Top Bottom