[MOD] Age of Discovery II

I haven't seen this pop up yet, so here's the relevant Wikipedia link. :D

The pirates' power was in their ships, not in settlements. Implementing something like Sid Meier's Pirates! for the pirate 'nation' would be fun, but tricky. The idea would be that you could wander around pillaging colonies and whatnot to build up your power until the European powers (or the colonies, if powerful enough) sent the equivalent of the REF after you. It's about as close to winning by independence as you could get.

I don't think the game mechanics are really set up for it, though. There aren't as many ships in the game as there were in Pirates!, nor is there the variety of ships, customization of ships, or detailed sea combat. Even ground combat relies, as in all Civ titles, on large quantities of troops to get anything done. Fighting only with whatever you can carry in one boat is pretty ridiculous given the combat mechanics. Pirates as a barbarian type unit seem like the only reasonable way to go.

Greetings Dale, congrats for the mod.

Since I acquired Colonization, I've been aching for a bloody Brazilian independence, as it should have been. Big disappointment when I found out Portugal wasn't included again. :( However, your mod gave me high hopes that, if Firaxis disregards this great game, the community won't. But can I make a suggestion?

Why not include José Bonifácio as a Brazilian leader? As the greatest thinker behind the Independence and it's staunchest supporter, Firaxis should have included him at least as a founding father. :) Also, he was far more important than Martim de Sousa in national terms.

Of course, this is only a suggestion. But if you at least consider it, thanks. :)

Are the pirates really meant to be a playable Civ?

Not long before finding this thread, I was reading how Morgan started off as a pirate, or privateer, but became a sugar farmer and governer of the British colony of Jamaica, suggesting that he might be equally appropriate as a founding father or English leader as leader of a separate pirate civ.

Personally, I love the idea of a (barbarian) pirate civ running around with ships, and founding colonies in out of the way places. I wonder how much of the civ barb mechanics is still in the game. Not sure how you can expand it to a human player in the main game though, apart from in a scenario.

Since many of the Pirates started out as agents of the various colonial powers, before going rogue, one possibility would be to allow them to have occassional and rotating access to all of the European Ports. I don't know how this would be done in terms of programming, though.

Their immigrants should somehow be weighted towards petty criminals. Maybe even a new class- hardened criminals could be allowed.

They should also be able to capture ships and impress crew.

Victory would be based on money and perhaps "recognition", i.e. a Peace Treaty, by 3 out of 5 Kings as a real nation.

downloaded but cant find mods folder, there is only assets, cvgamecoreDLL, Miles, Public maps, resources, and shaders but no mods or scenario folder to download to any help is welcome

Don't listen to Snoopy, you'll end up with it in the wrong location. :p

You look in the program files location, not the documents location. Also, you need to create a Mods folder yourself, then unzip to that folder. :)

Care to share where you did those fixes, Dale? In particular the fix for the 6-cargospots-treasure thing? (I admit, I'm weak - I find it very annoying.. Hehe)

What happened to the My Games mod folder? They decide that was too confusing, having two of them?

created a Mods folder under civilizaton colonization and tried to extract but only got errors

What happened to the My Games mod folder? They decide that was too confusing, having two of them?

It's still there, it's just you won't be able to play any of those mods private maps. :)

created a Mods folder under civilizaton colonization and tried to extract but only got errors

Extracting gave errors, or playing after extracting gave errors?

And what errors??

Damn, already a mod release?

I purchased C4C a couple of days ago and have really been enjoying it; I've downloaded Dales' mod and look forward to playing to more thoroughly very soon!

One big suggestion that I'd like to make is for the Victory Conditions in Colonisation to be amended so that you don't have to declare Independence to win.

I'd rather play as a Colonial Viceroy, conquering the New World for the Crown, making bucketloads of cash, converting the Natives, and basically trying to drive the other Europeans out of my "sphere of influence".

Perhaps it could be possible to win via achieving Commonwealth (ie, not fighting a War of Independence); maybe generating enough Liberty Bells, Cash, having a military of a certain size, and occupying a particular percentage of the available landmass by, say, 1860?

Also, perhaps a "Conquest of the New World" option; namely wipe out all the other European powers and a low random number of the Native Tribes?

I don't suppose we'll be seeing an "Australia" map anytime soon? ;)

As for the Pirate Nation, I would suggest having them function as being much like a Native Tribe; although I can't see why they couldn't have access to Europe as well (except from a gameplay perspective, which might unbalance things a bit...)

Played this mod for about 8hrs yesterday, blooming brilliant!

One thing im not liking is the Start Positions both Indian & Colonists, French should Land up in North America(Canada), the English a bit below them around where NY is now, Spanish should Land between Mexico and Columbia(Aztecs should be here), Portugese in or around Brazil and the Dutch in the Carabiean Isles. (Colonisation I Map)

As to the Indian's I don't realy have a clue, Aztecs between Mexico & Coumbia, Incan's in and around Peru/Chille, Arawak Northern Part of South America.

Found some nice Old territorial Maps for North America :-

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/histus.html

The Pirate Civ shouldn't be a Civ as such, well not to start with anyways, as well all the powers involved with the new world colonization had thier Own Pirates to prey on the other country's "Galleons", wasn't untill the "Pirates" were told to cease all pillaging and plundering that they actualy turned into proper "Pirates".

BTW, I'd make the Starting Position changes Myself, but alas I have no clue how to :(

Cant say the errors exactly wont let me cut and paste, this winrar i have keeps doing the excracting and i think that mite be the problem. but theres 692 errors it says.

Dale, can your map scripts be used without the rest of the mod?

(I'm not interested in gameplay changes, portugal/any new civs, or pirates...at least not yet...)

As a side question - crosses don't do anything else except speed immigration do they? So your devout +25% crosses isn't a whole lot different than the english -25% crosses required...

Top Bottom