How to Add/Use These New Units

lol... kinda stupid question... but... if I add this new unit in the editor, the readme says it should be saved as civ3mod.bic where do I have to save it?
Just under scenarios? ...but it will be only one scenario with my custom units then? how can I put them in every new game I start?

and another thing... where can I find the units32.pcx file in this forum? i looked but I didn't find the thread...

I have tried to add a new unit graphics for the first time, but CivIII conquests crashes (standart message: occured fatal error and needs to close or so) at the time i build my first city. This happens when playing civilizations which are not supposed to have that unit at all too. And unit prerequisite is Robotics. Nobody has robotics at the time civIII crashes.
If I don't build a city at the first turn but wait for a while instead, program doesn't crash with with city building. It crashes when i try to give building orders instead (clicking on icon).

the unit is Crawler (named as SpiderMech at the site) from Civ3Files.com

I made the following changes:

1. Renamed Crawler.ini to Mechanized Arachnid.ini
2. Renamed folder from Crawler to Mechanized Arachnid

Added following lines to pediaIcons.txt:
#ICON_PRTO_MechanizedArachnid
art\civilopedia\icons\units\MechanizedArachnidLarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\MechanizedArachnidSmall.pcx

at #start units

and

#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Mechanized_Arachnid
Mechanized Arachnid

at # Unit animations

Needed .pcx files do exist in given location. Units_32.pcx icon set was also modyfied, adding needed Crawler icon.

Unit has following characteristics:

30/12/4
Blitz
Anti-Air 2
Shield Cost: 120
Prereq.: Robotics
Required resources: Aluminium, Iron

Actions: load, airlift, pillage, capture, all standard orders
Civilopedia Entry: PRTO_MechanizedArachnid

I can see it's icon pretty well in editor and in civilopedia too.

Thanks for any help ;)

you have no underscore in the animname-prto thing, where as you do in the editor.
maybe some other spelling mistakes lie around too?

Quinzy said:
you have no underscore in the animname-prto thing, where as you do in the editor.
maybe some other spelling mistakes lie around too?

Did you mean

Mechanized Arachnid

should be

Mechanized_Arachnid

?

It changes nothin, at least at this point, just tried. You know I'm not sure how these entries interact with each other yet, I just follow tutorial from civ3files.com :)

Quinzy said:
not the bottom bit, just the top bit.

I'm sorry if I sound stupid but can you please be more specific? What exactly I should change?

#ICON_PRTO_MechanizedArachnid
art\civilopedia\icons\units\MechanizedArachnidLarg e.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\units\MechanizedArachnidSmal l.pcx

Mechanized Arachnid

Civilopedia Entry (in editor): PRTO_MechanizedArachnid

CornPlanter said:
Mechanized Arachnid

thats ok.

CornPlanter said:
civilopedia entry (in editor): PRTO_MechanisedArachnid

bad. put a underscore in between "mechanised" and "arachnid". the PRTO things must be the same in both.

And the most weird thing is, program still crashes after I remove all entries I made about that new unit, both in files and in editor. (It doesn't crash if I load a scenario where that unit was never added or load no scenario). :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: Is there any good debuger application?

Quinzy: I just renamed to just "Arachnid" (one word) to avoid such kind of problems with underscores and so. (Folder, INI file, unit name, even .pcx Large and Small files, also pediaIcons.txt). It didn't help :sad:

OK I'll try make a new scenario and add another unit. If I'll success it means this Crowler files is maybe somehow corrupt. If I will it means I do something bad but have not I have no ideas what exactly :mad:

update:
OK I guess I've found the problem. There can be NO OTHER FILES in art/units/ directory. I've found it when I added another unit to a new scenario. After that I added that arachnid and it works without a problem now. Previously I was too lasy to delete downloaded .rar archive from art/units/ directory :) One question still remains unanswered: if so, why program crashes even after removing all signs of a newly added unit (that rar archive too).

Anyway it's nice it works now. Thanks for your time, Quinzy :)

first post ever.

is there any way to complete the addition of new units w/o the 1.29f patch?. i have a "version" where i cant replace the civ3.exe file. so if there is any direct way, or other editor i can use to add new units to the standard civilization 3 that would be much appreciated.

thnx

Hi, i downloaded the knight of anubis unit from Dom...II but i can't paste the unit_32 in the empty square of my new unit creation in the scenario editor.
Also, can somebody tell me where can i find a tutorial to install the new cities.
Thanks!!!!!

Jeanfoot: Hope I'm understanding you right.... You don't paste the units_32 icon into the editor.

1) Open up Scenarios / Your Scenario / Art / Units. In that folder you will find a units_32.pcx sheet with all the unit icons in your scen. plus somemore which are there already. This is the pcx sheet which you need to paste your specific units_32 unit icon onto. Make sure it goes into the centre of the square you choose for neatness. Select any square which is not being used by a unit in your scen. Save it, say yes to export if you're using gimp.

2) Open up the editor, go to your unit in question. If you check against the pcx sheet you just pasted onto, you'll see what number square on the sheet the icon is placed on. That's the same number you need to choose in the Editor against the icon. Hope that helps.

Don't know about your other request.

I've got a query about adding / changing sounds to units. I'm cool with all the graphics but the sounds, flc relationships to them and the ini file are mystifying me. Can anyone point me to a tutorial on changing sounds please? (I'm basically asking because Steph never releases his great units with sound :( )

hello everyone. i ve got a problem concerning adding new units. after i download the new unit and copy the file to my units folder, i go through the process of adding a new unit in the civ3edit (and civ3mod) areas, when i close the edit box and go to save i get a message of -access to (folder name) denied. im lost, please help

Hello everybody , I am a a newbie to modding but I have managed to add several units to a "my mod" of the Middle Ages scenario but the Siege Crossbow from the Japanese unit pack just doesnt want to work. I have rechecked the entries more than a dozen times , copying EXACTLY from the Conquests "Shogun" scenario pediacon file , all the dots and \ and _ , exactly.
As I have managed to get the Mounted Samurai , Mounted Horse Archer , Stonecrossbowman and a dozen other "imports" all to work perfectly , it isnt as though I dont have a clue
Its driving me barmy .Is it do do with the UNIT 32 file ??
Why is the pediacon entry for Global War for the Siege Crossbow different

Thunderfall said:
Lots of newbie posters have posted threads in this forum asking the same question: 'How to add these units to the game". It's getting quiet tedious to move them to the main creation forum all the time. I hope this sticky thread would reduce the number of those threads.

Can someone post a detailed "HOW TO" post below? Thanks in advance. :)

okay, im tottally new with the instalation of these mods/units. but there is just too much reading to do, i dont want to waste the month tryin to figure it out. can someone post simplified instructions? i dont care about the precautions/warnings. just tell me what to click copy and paste.

Top Bottom