Ideas for Fairy Tale Civs

Le Sage

Emperor
We are continually on the lookout for new ideas for civs that could be included in the game. Post your ideas on new Fairy Tale civs here. Do you think there's something that has been overlooked? Fairy Tale civs are of course inspired by real world ones. Some you think we've missed? Do you have Fairy Tale/Fantasy ideas on suitable civs? Write it all down here!

We cannot promise that we'll add everything, of course, but this will indeed serve as inspiration and can provide some really valuable material for thought. So get creative and submit your ideas.

My first idea is a Mongol/Uzbek/Khazak based civ that would fit good on the large unhabitet part (the southern part of the FairyTale siberia :D).
Cavalry: Fast cavalry (first strikes and first strike chanses, high withdraw probability bonuses) make up their main attack force. One UU could replace the War Elephant and be a kind of Mongol Cathapract with 2 movement (instead of 1) as only bonus.
Melee: All melee units could be replaced by archery and cavalry units. Spearman could be replaced with a Javelineer, and Pikeman with an Armored Javelineer. Swordsman could be replaced by a Mounted Swordsman (+ 1 movement?) or a Melee Bowman and so on.
Archers: Mostly just graphic changes is my main idea for such a civ. No need to change.

My Second Idea is a Korean/Chinese one
Huge focus on Infantry replacement. Crossbowmen that are avaible earlier is also a good bonus. I also would think that the Chinese Cannon from the Warlords mod Chinese Unification could be a good replacement for Trebuchet and the Korean Hwacha could be one for the Catapult. So my thought is pretty much a Infantry-Archery based civ (like old china) with some earlier acsess to gunpowder (like korea and china).

My third idea: a Mesoamerican civ
Focus on Infantry and Archers, but no cavalry units at all. Could start in the middle of the joungle with an UB that provides a free fresh-water source around the city (no need to add additional rivers just so they could put up a challange).

That is my thoughts for now. I hope you like some of them ;)

Edit: And of course, feel free to merge some of them together too.

At this moment I am indeed most interested in a Central Asian civ to fill out the Fairy Tale Siberia Area. HighwayHoss is working on a civ that will be deployed there too, but the area is vast, so I'll probably implement your Central Asian one later on as well. Maybe with a stench of Arabic/Middle Eastern influence thrown in as well.

I haven't played all the Civs, but from what I've seen, there isn't any that represent something like the ancient rome. The principality is similar to Byzantine (or perhaps the crusaders) only, I think. Why not, legionaries are fearsome!

I haven't played all the Civs, but from what I've seen, there isn't any that represent something like the ancient rome. The principality is similar to Byzantine (or perhaps the crusaders) only, I think. Why not, legionaries are fearsome!

I would like to combine those (Rome and Byzantium) with the Greeks and Macedonians. And you sure Principality representents Byzantium? If I were to make a guess, Ost Weld (and many of their other cities) sounds very german, so either HRE or Germany.

You are probably right that The Principality may be closer to HRE than Byzantium. Though, both basically represent the middle age kingdoms (knights and all that). Greek/Macedon depends on phalanx formation of spearman with 12-foot spears, while Rome depends on closed-rank formation of legionaries equipped with javelin for initial attack then gladius and big square shield. Though from Greek comes oligarchy, democracy, while from Rome republic government system, those may be similar in certain sense. It'd be interesting to see a civ combined by those two, a civ depends heavily on foot soliders (swords and spears). Rome's cavalry were pretty weak anyway, only used for scouting most of the time. As well, in later days, Rome's legionaries practically couldn't stand heavy cavalry.

The Principality is inspired by the Crusader kingdoms. The Kingdom of Jerusalem and those kinds of powers, but indeed, specifically, The German Teutonic Order and their Eastern European conquests and the state they founded in the Baltic. They have strong inspirations from Medieval Germany in general too.

I've thought some about a Roman civ, but I'd really need to make it not so obvious that it is Roman. A good idea then would combine it with Greek influences, and/or give it a clear East Rome flavour. For some reason I think the Evil Zuur take that role right now, but I could easily do a Rome/Greek/Byzantium inspired addition; very cultured and civilized, with bad cavalry representation, but impeccable infantry Legions.

Also, there are such a lot of Myths and Fairy Tales in ancient Roman tradition, that it would be very much fun to create such a civ too!

I've thought some about a Roman civ, but I'd really need to make it not so obvious that it is Roman. A good idea then would combine it with Greek influences, and/or give it a clear East Rome flavour. For some reason I think the Evil Zuur take that role right now, but I could easily do a Rome/Greek/Byzantium inspired addition; very cultured and civilized, with bad cavalry representation, but impeccable infantry Legions.

Just remember to add some defensive genuine phalanx units too ;)

And a counter for that empire could be a Persian/Sassanid/Parthian civ with Cathapracts, swift Chariots, Parthian Shot archers (cavalry tactic) and Bow and Spear wielding Immortals. Just think of it.
Spearman -> Immortal Spearman
Pikeman -> Immortal Pikeman
Archer -> Immortal Bowman
Horse Archer -> Chariot Archer OR Chariot
Knight -> Cathapract
Paladin -> Camel Cathapract
Hero name idea: The Charioteer (ask Bakuel and I am sure he could make a Persian version of the egyptian War Chariot)

What do you think?

Yeah. These are also some good ideas. Keep 'em coming.

A Persian civ could also be based a tad on the "Thousand and One Nights" Fairy Tales, i think. I think Ajidica and I discussed that scenario way back also. The introduction of a charioteer is also of interest, since we did the Elephant Rider with the Tanites recently and have abolutely no chariots in the game as yet.

Also, some kind of Egyptian civ would be interesting, when thinking about it.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way. Since I like to keep this mod as Medieval as possible, I still don't see a hindrance in taking inspiration from Ancient Greece, Rome, Persia or Egypt. There are loads of good Medieval-looking units for all these civs in the database, so the mod will still be looking and behaving Medieval although some inspiration does come from ancient cultures.

What could be fun for that Roman/Greek civ could be to add some cheap, but also weaker, cavalry units and name them Auxillary Cavalry (Knight) and Auxillary Archer (Horse Archer). The Paladin could be replaced by a Kathapraktoi (Greek for Cathapract) if we want the Byzantines in this civ too.

A Byzantine Kingdom seems very attractive when thinking about it. Byzantium was an important power during the Middle Ages, during the Crusades they became super important, Viking mercenaries served at their Royal Guard during the early Middle Ages and the Fall of Byzantium in 1453 is sometimes considered the End of the Middle Ages. We do need the Byzantine!

So one Greco-Roman and one Byzantine then? And one Persian-Parthian-Sassanid?

We set our sights on that setup.

I'd like HighwayHoss to be able to get his own civ ready first. I'd really like that in Version 10. He's on the... erm... Highway right now, but we'll see how far he has gotten on it when he gets back. It's going to be really good though.

We set our sights on that setup.

I'd like HighwayHoss to be able to get his own civ ready first. I'd really like that in Version 10. He's on the... erm... Highway right now, but we'll see how far he has gotten on it when he gets back. It's going to be really good though.
Hidy Y'all. Highway Hoss coming to you from a Pilot T/S out near Tyler, Texas; I thought since I have Pilot Wireless I'd check in on what's going on and report on what I have done so far.

First of all, congrats on the subforum, Le Sage! and Welcome Everybody!

Second of all, I am working on a new Civ for the Fairy Tale Siberia area in the Northwest corner of the big map and I thought I'd give a few teasers on my Civ:

The Civ is called The Dominion of Vestalla; its main influences are a mix of Medieval England, the pre-Civil War Antebellum Southern US, and S.M. Stirling's fictional Domination of the Draka (without Slavery). It also has some elements from Ajidica's civ proposal mentioned in the main FT thread.

Basically the Vestallans started as a colony of the old Angleeye Kingdom that eventually became a self-governing Duchy; the Duchy was strongly influenced by King Gregory Lyssander's reign and established close ties with their parent kingdom. Things changed when the Dowager Queen took power and created the Collective; when she tried to absorb Vestalla, the Kingdom rebelled and fought the Collective ferociously, eventually forcing the Collective to recognize their independence (since the DQ wanted to focus on crushing the Eastern Civs instead). However recognizing the continuing threat of the Collective, the Dominion has vowed to destroy the Collective once and for all and re-establish the glory of Angleeye....I do have a more detailed history I am currently polishing.

Vestallans are a proud and aristocratic people who consider themselves the heirs of the old Angleeye Kingdom; they are tough and hardy. They combine a ruthless,cold-blooded pragmatism with a strong sense of duty. Militarily, they emphasize massed yeoman archers, tough Armored infantry and Fast hard hitting Cavalry (maybe bow armed).

Right now I have some reskinned units (I found some in the old Dragonia mod that were suitable) a history and a flag....I am looking at adding some Elephants (since there are some Ivory resources in the NW corner...maybe Ballista Elephants). I also have some leader pics from Le Sage.

Any suggestions welcome.

It really sounds excellent. Basing it off colonial British as well as pre-Civil War South, will make these guys represent aristocracy and nobility. I really want them in Version 10, but V10 is going to take a while because I want to make sure it's the best update ever and I therefore want to have as many good (and big) updates in there as possible.

Later, when you have the units going, I can help you by making the unit buttons. if you don't have them already, that is.

I think I'll begin with the Byzantine civ right away. I just need to finish my maps projects first. I'll make the Byzantines modular at first, so I don't screw up the files you're dealing with when creating the Vestallans. Then it's just copy/paste when I want to merge them with the game after Vestalla's been included.

Highwayhoss, that's a very nice in-depth detail you have there! I am amaze with the effort both you and Le Sage put into this game. Kudos!

Any of you read Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time or GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire? If you do, I wouldn't be surprise if one or more of your civs are based on one of the nations mentioned in those books. In fact, the victorian aristocracy Vestalla sounds like something from GRRM's book :)

I haven't read much fantasy. I've read the Tolkien trilogy, but that's it. I tried reading a Fantasy book, which I don't remember the name of, but I lost interest when the characters sat down and ate potatoes. I can't take potatoes in a Medieval European-inspired novel. Be it Fantasy or not. :lol:

For fiction, I read mostly Swedish language authors. Like Jan Guillou. He wrote an excellent trilogy on the Crusades and describes a Swedish Knight who ends up in the war in the Holy Land. Also, one of my favourite books of all time is a Finnish classic, Unknown Soldier, by Väinö Linna. That book is implanted on the brain of everyone in this country!

My favourite authors are historians writing fact though. Colonel John Elting has written my all-time favourite book "Swords around a Throne", an exciting, fact-packed description of Napoleon's La Grande Armée. David Chandler is also a favourite when it comes to Napoleonic literature. Recently, I've been reading Jonathan Sumption's excellent books on the Hundred Years' War and other Medieval literature, like Crusaders by Régine Pernoud.

I can only read English (aside of my own native language, but nothing worth reading in Indonesian, sadly), so English novels are all I have. I sometimes read historical books, but mostly are historical fictions based on Ancient Romes or Greeks. I find the classical time is fascinating especially the Rome. But now that I am back at my home country for good (was living in the US for 13 years!), it's pretty hard to buy imported book here. I'll have to ask my friend to buy them in the US and send them to me.

You should try Robert Jordan's book. Borrow it from friend or library if you are not sure whether you'll like it :) GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire is based on the war of the roses, if I am not mistaken. So, it's pretty medieval. There's no protagonist eating potato, only dead wild boar at a feast with drunk soldiers :D

Anyway, back to topic. Is there a maritime based civ yet? I haven't met any civ with extraordinary navy, but that's a possibility. Though, this might not work out well because usually AI's navy is pretty weak.

The Song of Ice and Fire sounds intersting. I must look your recommendations up, and read them, since it's only to ones advantage to have read some more Fantasy than just good old Tolkien when you're dealing with this type of stuff like a Fantasy mod. :D

The Tanite have a special harbour Unique Building and two special unique Shiptypes too. The Deneran Elves have a special ship and so do the Vikings and indeed Zuur. Especially the Tanite are well-equipped to do naval adventures, but I've tested them too little as yet, since they were included with Version 9 of the mod.

One civ suggestion. This is based on Aiel from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. It's a warrior society. They only use spear/javelin and shield, as well as dagger. They shun swords, and have no need of horse because they can run faster and longer than horse can.

The society is based on council of chieftains. The Wise One, elder women, are the spellcasters. They value water more than any jewelries. Since they dwell in the dessert most of their time, they rarely see large body of water, thus "afraid" of lake/sea/ocean.

Here's some unit suggestion:
Javelin Thrower (replace archer/longbowman)
Spear Dancer (probably replace swordsman/maceman)
Runners (to replace cavalry)
Dream Walker (replace Witch)
Wise One (replace Magician)

Choices are limited, so the units can probably be expanded more.

Top Bottom