settler factory

Giotto

Eagle
I always read references to making settler factories for expansion. What is a settler factory? Where can I learn to make one? Is this really all I need for expansion?

Its just a city in which you constantly produce workers/settlers but its growing so much that it stays at a constant size/grows slightly so you can keep on doing it. You will need enough food to make the city grow rapidly - this depends on how fast the settlers are being produces - and enough production so you arn't waiting 30 turns for your settler.

If you pick a city with nice land and high production, you can get a settler every two or three turns, while all the other cities can focus on a war or a tech race.

Or you can use the other cities to produce defensive units to guard the settlers being produced by the settler factory.

you want to pick a city with lots of wheat or cows near by and also build a granasy asap

All you need to remember that is a settler factory needs at least +5 food, six shields at size 5, and a forest. It is actually possible to create a one-turn settler factory in the modern age!.

That would be a 4-turn factory. I've had a few 3-turn ones, but in other cases there was nothing better than one of 5 turns.

The typical settler factory has a Granary, of course, and fluctuates between 5 and 6 citizens (sometimes 4 and 5). At a river or lake you profit from that forest's 2 shields even at the time the city would grow from 6 to 7 (but drops to 5 by producing a Settler).

Sometimes you have so many shields that within a 4-turn cycle you can first build a Warrior and then the Settler.

A three turn settler factory is not a settler every three turns. It is a settler and a warrior every three turns, unless you magically come up with 10 suplus food.

Top Bottom