Multiple problems with LAN play

Thuvia

Chieftain
I am experiencing multiple issues with LAN play of C3C.

First let me describe my computer situation:
Server;
2.8 g processor
1 g RAM
80 G HDD
GeForce 4 with 128 M video RAM
Win XP( fully updated)

Work station;
1.4 g processor
512 M Ram
30 G HDD
GeForce 4 with 128 M video RAM
Win XP ( fully updated)

The computers are connected via an 8 port 3COM 10 base T, 100 M hub.
There are 2 other computers on the LAN which we do not use for LAN play of C3C. We are connected to the internet via a cable modem, with a hardware firewall inline BEFORE the modem( so it should not affect LAN play that is not over the internet). All device drivers have been updated to the latest available versions(from the manufacturers).

These are some of the issues we have been having.
" out of synch " errors- generally when starting a new game, but not always

We have actually started games where it appeared as if we were playing two completely different games. Such as I would have computer opponents that were different than the ones the other player had listed. And sometimes the computer opponents start on the same tile as one of the human players.

Long lag when switching from one human player to the next ( sometimes more than 5 minutes). I realize this may be due in part to the difference in the two machines, but certainly not all of the lag can be attributed to this.

Random crashes to desktop

Data IO errors when attempting to load saved games. These usually occur on the slower computer, and occasionally can be remedied by restarting the system and the game.

Memory leakage: the CPU use hits 100%

As a note, when we are playing C3C we start both computers from a " clean boot ", otherwise the problems intensify. When we play we also disable the internet connection, or more problems arise.

We have tried a direct IP connection, but even that didnt seem to resolve any of the issues .

We have uninstalled and re-installed the games on both systems, going so far as to delete the registry keys. All games are patched with the latest versions.

All of the computers on the LAN are virus scanned regularly( we use Vexira, and update it biweekly ) and updated regularly. Maintainence such as scandisk etc are done on a weekly basis, temp files are deleted and we run an ad killer.

We do run other MP games over the LAN( Empire Earth, Age of Empires and others ). We both enjoy C3C and would like to be able to resolve some of these issues. I have found this forum to be both knowledgeable and helpful on more than one occasion. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Despite the list, it doesn't tell how the bugs occured. ;) Can you be more descriptive on how to trigger each bug? (Along with a gamesave, version number that you're using, steps to reproduce? etc.)

I had my reply ready to be posted and my browser crashed, so let me see if I can re-create it :sad:

versions:
Civ 3 1.29f
PTW 1.27f
C3C 1.22

I deleted all of my old save game files while doing maintainence this weekend, sorry. When I get another error I will upload it.

The long lag time usually doesnt occur until we hit the modern age, or if player two is involved in a war. I am wondering if this is due to the system ( 1.4G, with 512m RAM, GeForce4 AGP with 128 video RAM, onboard sound)? Something I neglected to mention in my original post was that the slower system is running an AMD processor while the faster system has a P 4. Would this make a difference ? I know that some older programs would get quirky with AMDs ( before the Athlon incarnation). Would boosting the RAM help?

Game specs(typically):
Turn based
No turn timer
Random map, huge, usually pangaea or continents
60% water
Barbarian roaming or restless
Temperate climate
5 billion yrs
2 to 4 computer players with 2 human players, assigned civs or random
Victory conditions, conquest, domination, cultural
AI respawn
culturally linked start off or on(doesnt seem to make a difference)

Probably the most bizarre and frequently occuring error is the out of synch error. I have not kept accurate records of out of synch vs games started :blush:
When we start a game, after player one builds their first city and switches to player 2 we immediately get an out of synch error. After re-loading the game more often than not player two has been moved. On approximately 3 occasions player two has been moved to a the same tile as one of the computer opponents, rendering the game unplayable. If player two is within line of sight of a computer player we abandon the game. However if there are no computer players in line of sight we play on.

We also experience out of synch errors, long lag between human players and random crashes to desktop(on the slower system) at later points in the game.

We are both able to play single player games and scenarios without any problems.

Here is an out of synch error. This one occurred on the second turn of the game, not the first which is where they normally occur.

Btw, this was one of 3 games I attempted to try to replicate the error

Top Bottom