Combat 1,barrage 1, city raider 1 vs city garrison 1

mortichro

Chieftain
odds 1
what are the odds of a modern armour with barrage 1 and city raider 1

VS

A mechanize troop with city garrison 1 in a city..

M A attacking from plain/thundra

odds 2
Modern Armour with barrage 1

vs

mechanize troop with city garrison 1

M A attacking from forest

odds 3

Marines with combat 1

vs

Mechanize troops with city garrison 1

marines attacking from either forest or hill

help here?

More info is needed:

- Is the city on hills?

- Are you attacking across a river?

- Does the city provide a cultural defence bonus?

btw, it doesn't matter which kind of tile the MA attacks FROM. The battle takes place in the defender's tile: The city-tile.

-- Roland

If you haven't read the combat article yet, I suggest you do if you are interested in the combat mechanics.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=137615

The Barrage I upgrade only adds collateral damage, no significance in a 1vs1 fight.

The world builder is a beautiful thing for testing scenarios like this, I use it constantly.

As Roland said, more info is needed for accurate odds, and the tile the attacker attacks from doesn't matter.

Basically here's what you're looking at, assuming the city defenders are fully fortified and you have already bombarded the defenses:

#1. Modern 40.0 with 1 First Strike vs Mech Infantry 40.0
Modern will win a little over half the time.

#2. Modern 40.0 with 1 First Strike vs Mech Infantry 46.4
Mech will win 2/3rds of the time, give or take.

#3. Marine 26.4 vs Mech Infantry 46.4
Mech wins pretty close to 100%, somewhere in the high 90's.

Just load up some old save and use world builder to test out ur ods.

Vs the AI i see no reason whatsoever to build anything except alot of Mech Inf - moderate ammounts of Modern Armours - small amounts of Jet Fighers - about 4-8 artys.

Arty I just use to take down Cultural City Def Bonus. U only need a few in an army with propper promotions.

Mech Inf to Protect cities ( with city promotions ) and Resources ( with Hill / medic promos - also producing ur mech inf at a city with National Epic and Red Cross is great - free medic upgrade - great for on the road with Modern Armours )

Modern Armours - All collateral - try to get 3 of them. U just cant beat collateral damage promotion - its infact WAY too good.

Stelth Bombers are crap vs the AI ( except for bombarding some unit thats raiding ur lands - but fighters can do that too )

Jet fighters are needed though - have some of them follow ur city grabing while u wage war -

/DaK/

You're assuming a whole lot of things in that last statement. If you have the tech lead then Jet Fighters are worthless and Bombers kicks arse. Mech Inf are meaningless, Modern Armors with City Raider and/or Drill promotions are so much better (Barrage is only useful if you have poor odds). A few medics could be useful to bring along. Artillery is meaningless when you have bombers.

It's not the open and shut case you portrait it to be. It all depends what units you're up against.

Tech lead? - Why would I play a game where I have the tech lead? Whats the point in playing a game I know im gonna win in a few hours? ( Multiplayer excluded ).

Anything bellow Monarch is a walk in the park.

/DaK/

So you quit playing once you get the tech lead? Besides, I meant having better tech than your opponent, not necessarily the tech lead. Poor phrasing.

Anyway, it's quite possible to get the tech lead on higher difficulties either way.

I attack a city with modern armour from a hill.. the odds are so much better against a mech infantry.. and the modern armour have a barrage 1.. (somehow they use a heli attack on me and my modern armour was doomed) so i tried the same tactic on the same City again but this time i wasnt so lucky. Is this just random odds or the defender has better promotions than my modern armour?

Just enter world builder and make different untis with different promos and just see how many of Unti A it takes to win over X ammount of Unti B.

For example what promos are best to win against a City with 10 Mech inf with 3 promotions of city defence. ( Say the Clutural Defence Bonus is 0% - Arty used prior to attacking ).

Now take 10-15 Modern Armours or whatever unit u want - and mess arround with the promos - make it 3 promotions. The more units u have left after u have taken the city the better.

I have found nothing that can beat Collateral dammage x 3

/DaK/

Alright I messed arround some with the World builder - note im not a number crunshing maniac - someone else can get the exakt %.

Anyway it seems the str is very vital. When u have Higher Str then the defending unit - its always better to have the promotion that gives u that higher str ( for instance city raider etc ) then the collateral dammage promotion. U will save troops this way in this scenario.

But when u are dealing with defending untis with higher str then you - or more defenders then u have attackers. The collateral dammage will save u troops. ( U can take out more defenders then u have units attacking with the Blitz untis + collateral dammage )

There are according to some number cruncher maniacs some certain magic points in the ods - but thats too heavy for me at this early stage :)

Now to the point - how often in the later games - do u acctually mannage to get to attack a city with full health? - The AI hammers you alot with bombers and arty. In this case Collateral dammage saves the day. But it seems its more of a touch and go then I first though.

/DaK/

Top Bottom