Tech Tree Discussion

More galactic era stuff (or maybe transhuman). Don't have a clue where they would go in the tech tree or their effects right now - just throwing ideas out. Each of these requires the previous:

Mind backup (obviously requires brain machine interfaces)

Mind virtualization (instantiate yourself in different places, or multiply)

Mind image reintegration (pull back instantiated partials into the aggregate whole taking their memories etc.)

Group mind (extend aggregation to the virtual images of a large number of originally separate individuals)

Overmind (group all minds of an entire civilization)

@Vokarya: Do you by chance have a breakdown of number of techs by era? Such a thing would be useful for some changes I'm planning after V23 is released, related to trying to make the Eras take more or less the same number of turns.

@Vokarya: Do you by chance have a breakdown of number of techs by era? Such a thing would be useful for some changes I'm planning after V23 is released, related to trying to make the Eras take more or less the same number of turns.

Of course I have a breakdown. I need to spend some time recalibrating the "levels" within the eras, to see how deep a level goes, but I can't do that right now.

• Prehistoric: 88 techs
  • Ancient: 41 techs
  • Classical: 45 techs
  • Medieval: 36 techs
  • Renaissance: 56 techs
  • Industrial: 75 techs
  • Modern: 64 techs
  • Transhuman: 49 techs
  • Galactic: 74 techs (without Analyze Strings)
This is not counting Cold Fusion, Global Governance, RELIGION, or Special Promotion. This list is complete after removing Transistors.

Of course I have a breakdown. I need to spend some time recalibrating the "levels" within the eras, to see how deep a level goes, but I can't do that right now.

• Prehistoric: 88 techs
  • Ancient: 41 techs
  • Classical: 45 techs
  • Medieval: 36 techs
  • Renaissance: 56 techs
  • Industrial: 75 techs
  • Modern: 64 techs
  • Transhuman: 49 techs
  • Galactic: 74 techs (without Analyze Strings)
This is not counting Cold Fusion, Global Governance, RELIGION, or Special Promotion. This list is complete after removing Transistors.

Thanks a lot for that.

Medieval Techs Inspiration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_technology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Empires_II:_The_Conquerors#Technologies

Mirrors (req.: Glass blowing req for for Optics ; glassmith +1 )

Artesian well (1126)
Spoiler :
A thin rod with a hard iron cutting edge is placed in the bore hole and repeatedly struck with a hammer, underground water pressure forces the water up the hole without pumping. Artesian wells are named after the town of Artois in France, where the first one was drilled by Carthusian monks in 1126.

Wheelbarrow (1170s)
Spoiler :

Proved useful in building construction, mining operations, and agriculture. Literary evidence for the use of wheelbarrows appeared between 1170 and 1250 in North-western Europe. First depiction in a drawing by Matthew Paris in the middle of the 13th century.

Blast furnace (1150–1350)

Spoiler :
European cast iron first appears in Middle Europe (for instance Lapphyttan in Sweden, Dürstel in Switzerland and the Märkische Sauerland in Germany) around 1150,[11] in some places according to recent research even before 1100.[12] Technique considered to be an independent European development.[13]

Spectacles (1280s)

Spoiler :
European innovation. Florence, Italy. Convex lenses, of help only to the far-sighted. Concave lenses were not developed prior to the 15th century.

Combined arms tactics (1333)

Spoiler :
The battle of Halidon Hill 1333 was the first battle where intentional and disciplined combined arms infantry tactics were employed. The English men-at-arms dismounted aside the archers, combining thus the staying power of super-heavy infantry and striking power of their two-handed weapons with the missiles and mobility of the archers. Combining dismounted knights and men-at-arms with archers was the archetypal Western Medieval battle tactics until the battle of Flodden 1513 and final emergence of firearms.

Scholasticism
Spoiler :
is a method of critical thought which dominated teaching by the academics (scholastics, or schoolmen) of medieval universities in Europe from about 1100–1500, and a program of employing that method in articulating and defending orthodoxy in an increasingly pluralistic context. It originated as an outgrowth of, and a departure from, Christian monastic schools.[1]

loom
Spoiler :
s a device used to weave cloth. The basic purpose of any loom is to hold the warp threads under tension to facilitate the interweaving of the weft threads. The precise shape of the loom and its mechanics may vary, but the basic function is the same.

Horse Collar
Spoiler :
Horses were also used more efficiently in the Middle Ages. The horse collar was invented in China long before it was known in Europe. However the horse collar was known in Europe by the 9th century. Previously horses were attached to vehicles by straps around their necks. The horse could not pull a heavy load because the strap would constrict its neck! The horse collar allowed horses to pull much heavier loads.

Mills
Spoiler :
Watermills were also common in Europe. From the 11th century they were used not just to grind grain but for a variety of tasks.

Hygiene/ soap

Geocentrism
Spoiler :
– It is also widely known that Medieval people incorrectly believed that the earth was located in the centre of the universe, and remained static, whilst the sun and the other planets revolved around it. This belief, known as Geocentrism was indeed the established view throughout the Middle Ages, and had been since ancient times.

thumb ring (Archery- was in age of empires 2)
Spoiler :
s a piece of equipment designed to protect the thumb during archery. This is a ring of leather, stone, horn, wood, ivory, metal, ceramics, plastic, or glass or which fits over the end of the thumb, coming to rest at the outer edge of the outer joint. A flat area extends from the ring to protect the pad of the thumb from the bowstring; this may be supplemented by a leather extension.

Shaft Mining
Heavy Plow

This screen reminds me how much better one could read the older Civ techsreens. As a pureley cosmetic question: could the tech tree be enlarged vertically? Because right now it´s pretty crowded.

This screen reminds me how much better one could read the older Civ techsreens. As a pureley cosmetic question: could the tech tree be enlarged vertically? Because right now it´s pretty crowded.

The problem with increasing the vertical height is that it would give it a vertical scroll bar for those using the default screen resolutions at least. Which is to be avoided - the scroll bar that is.

The problem with increasing the vertical height is that it would give it a vertical scroll bar for those using the default screen resolutions at least. Which is to be avoided - the scroll bar that is.

In principal we could rewrite the positioning so it was dynamic - the values in the XML would be the default values but the Python could ask the DLL to rescale the tree for dimensions it provides at runtime (which in trun would depend on display resolution). Or possibly have the DLL produce coordinates without even ANY values in the XML (or ignoring the ones that are there for non-default resolutions). I don't think this would be rocket-science, but equally it's not a trivial do-in-a-day job.

So, to change the start date I'll need to adjust the SpawnInfos.xml to start things spawning at reasonable times. Is there anything else that references the start date or the dates in general that would need changing?

So, to change the start date I'll need to adjust the SpawnInfos.xml to start things spawning at reasonable times. Is there anything else that references the start date or the dates in general that would need changing?
I don't think so. The only other year reference is the doubling of culture (and some other things) after 1k years.

Franchises
(x72, y9)
Req. Tourism And Applied Economics
Required For: Globalization

Buildings:
Restaurant chain
Supermarket chain
Car Dealership
McDonalds / McBurgers (Wonder)

Spoiler :
ranchising is the practice of using another firm's successful business model. The word 'franchise' is of anglo-French derivation - from franc - meaning free, and is used both as a noun and as a (transitive) verb.[1] For the franchisor, the franchise is an alternative to building 'chain stores' to distribute goods and avoid the need for investments and liability for a chain. The franchisor's success depends on the success of the franchisees. The franchisee is said to have a greater incentive than a direct employee because he or she has a direct stake in the business.

More galactic era stuff (or maybe transhuman). Don't have a clue where they would go in the tech tree or their effects right now - just throwing ideas out. Each of these requires the previous:

Mind backup (obviously requires brain machine interfaces)

Mind virtualization (instantiate yourself in different places, or multiply)

Mind image reintegration (pull back instantiated partials into the aggregate whole taking their memories etc.)

Group mind (extend aggregation to the virtual images of a large number of originally separate individuals)

Overmind (group all minds of an entire civilization)

Group Mind --> Hypersense
Overmind ---> Omnipresence

Guys take a look at this very large and colorful info-graph from http://envisioningtech.com/ i saw on Reddit.

Emerging Technologies for 2012 and Beyond
Understanding where technology is heading is more than guesswork. Looking at emerging trends and research, one can predict and draw conclusions about how the technological sphere is developing, and which technologies should become mainstream in the coming years.
Envisioning technology is meant to facilitate these observations by taking a step back and seeing the wider context. By speculating about what lies beyond the horizon we can make better decisions of what to create today.
Spoiler :

In my latest test game, I auto-piloted to tribalism, and then later realised that 'portable shelters' gives me access to nomads. According to the pedia, nomads can found cities, defend, and you can have up to three of them at once (and portable shelters is easier to reach in the tech tree than tribalism). Are tribes totally obsolete now? I can't see why nomads are not just hands-down better...

In my latest test game, I auto-piloted to tribalism, and then later realised that 'portable shelters' gives me access to nomads. According to the pedia, nomads can found cities, defend, and you can have up to three of them at once (and portable shelters is easier to reach in the tech tree than tribalism). Are tribes totally obsolete now? I can't see why nomads are not just hands-down better...

Well, the AIAndy's Nomad mod is supposed to be experimental, so if you have that enabled it could mess with the 'traditional' Prehistoric progression.

Well, the AIAndy's Nomad mod is supposed to be experimental, so if you have that enabled it could mess with the 'traditional' Prehistoric progression.

I have not enabled it. Some of it must be present in the core which needs to be addressed before V23 is released.

I have not enabled it. Some of it must be present in the core which needs to be addressed before V23 is released.

However only nomads can build nomad units and you need the nomad prototype option on. Then you would need the XML that tells the nomad units that they can build nomad to be written. ;) In other words, nomad units can not yet be built. No matter what it says in the pedia.

There has been no discussion on how nomads will work. Or how they will work with cities or tribes.

However only nomads can build nomad units and you need the nomad prototype option on. Then you would need the XML that tells the nomad units that they can build nomad to be written. ;) In other words, nomad units can not yet be built. No matter what it says in the pedia.

There has been no discussion on how nomads will work. Or how they will work with cities or tribes.

So is portable shelters a meaningless tech with nomads turned off? If so is it possible for the tech to be modular also?

So is portable shelters a meaningless tech with nomads turned off? If so is it possible for the tech to be modular also?

Yes and yes. There are a whole bunch of techs that are currently related to the nomadic start option. Just as there are a whole bunch of techs associated with the Advanced Economy option. I never see the latter because I never play with Advanced Economy on. It does make for interesting bug tracking - I had a repeatable bug happening because of some thing in AE but Hydro did not because if you had AE on there was no problem.

Yes and yes. There are a whole bunch of techs that are currently related to the nomadic start option. Just as there are a whole bunch of techs associated with the Advanced Economy option. I never see the latter because I never play with Advanced Economy on. It does make for interesting bug tracking - I had a repeatable bug happening because of some thing in AE but Hydro did not because if you had AE on there was no problem.

So is it a bug that I am seeing it (and can research it) in a game with nomadic start off?

So is it a bug that I am seeing it (and can research it) in a game with nomadic start off?

I would say yes, Hydro would probably say no. A huge amount of work went into upgrading the tech tree but a lot of it was in my opinion knee jerk reaction to the nomad demo by AIAndy and the publishing of the proposed RoH tech tree.

Top Bottom