Quick Answers (formerly Newbie Questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Padma

the Absent Admin
Administrator
Supporter
You want to know something and can't find it in the FAQ?

Ask here!

Don't bother to read through the entire thread, just ask!

Lots of people are willing to help.

Please DO read throught the relevant section of the FAQ thread (which is also a sticky) before you post though.

Ok I'll go first

1) I've got a new pc in the last 10 days and when I go to CFC sometimes it logs me on and sometimes it doesn't. How can I get it to log me on automatically every time?

2) I've been wanting to use the "search forum" button in the last couple of days but it has been disabled, do you know if TF will get it back up again?
:)

1. I think there is an option that you can check in your user cp that will say somehting like "Automatically log in". Im not sure though....

2. Since the server has been having problems recently, Thunderfall has disabled the search function. Once everything is running properly again, he says he will enable it. :)

My own question: Since when was Steam Power the tech that you get when advancing into the Industrial age? Is this only with some Civs?, or do all of the scientific ones get Steam Power?

Thanks in advance :)

Gainy Bo: there used to be a 95% chance of getting Nat, but with PTW and some patch this was changed.....

sorry, this is not in the FAQ as the current FAQ-ers do not do updates it seems.

Thanks Gainy bo but I have already checked that I had the automatically login button and the use cookies button checked and they are.
I thought that it might be because I delete my cookies every couple of days and empty the temp internet files as well, but with my old system (windows 98) I could still log on automatically. Maybe with windows XP it's changed it somehow or works differently?

I thought that it always was the first tech of the industrial era. I cant say that I keep an eye out specifically for when I advance into a new era as I am more warey of getting to SP so I can build RR.

Originally posted by Sir Eric
I thought that it always was the first tech of the industrial era. I cant say that I keep an eye out specifically for when I advance into a new era as I am more warey of getting to SP so I can build RR.
As I understand it the free tech for Scientific civs was always supposed to be a random first level tech, so newest versions of the software work as designed. Previous versions had a bug that nearly always chose the same tech in each age.

Sir Eric

I had similar problems on another computer board using vBulletin also. Here are some of the suggestions people had for fixing things there:
Regardless of what's in your CFC profile, it's your browser settings that govern cookies. Although there's no reason why the setting should have changed (unless you fiddled with it), check that you are accepting cookies. Tools,Internet Options, Advanced, then scroll down a ways.

Also you can check that there actually is a CFCcookie on your system. (Delete your temporary files first to reduce the number of entries). Tools, Internet Options, Settings, View Files and look for an entry something like <yourname>@www.civfanatics

Have you tried clearing your CFC cookies? (Logging off then back on using your username and password)

Have you tried deselecting “Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)” and “Browse board with cookies?” and then reselecting them in your CFC user cp?

Have you tried turning off your firewall, anti-virus, etc, one at a time and checking for the same problem?

Have you tried another browser like opera or mozilla.

What privacy settings do you have on IE?

Anything above Medium blocks cookies on vBulletin.

Hope this helps.

When I deleted all my cookies, things got back to normal:
tools>internet options>delete cookies.

I still have the problem on the other system of having to manually log in, as are other people two (from the thread that discussed it) but some people did have some of these things fix the problem.

Originally posted by MadScot
Regardless of what's in your CFC profile, it's your browser settings that govern cookies. Although there's no reason why the setting should have changed (unless you fiddled with it), check that you are accepting cookies. Tools,Internet Options, Advanced, then scroll down a ways.

Also you can check that there actually is a CFCcookie on your system. (Delete your temporary files first to reduce the number of entries). Tools, Internet Options, Settings, View Files and look for an entry something like <yourname>@www.civfanatics

Ok I checked and there is a file named <mark@www.forums.civfanatic.com/ (shouldn't it say Sir Eric which is my cfc username)?
That file is also in my cookies folder as well so I opened it up to have a look and it was line with a whole heap of writing that didn't make sense to me but I figure that it just tells my IE where to go.
There isn't an option to allow cookies from the internet properties menu. I'm using windows XP for the first time so I'm still trying to get use to the new interface and where everything is.

Have you tried clearing your CFC cookies? (Logging off then back on using your username and password)

Have you tried deselecting “Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies)” and “Browse board with cookies?” and then reselecting them in your CFC user cp?

Have you tried turning off your firewall, anti-virus, etc, one at a time and checking for the same problem?

Have you tried another browser like opera or mozilla

Yeh I cleared my cookies and temp internet file when I logged off a few hours ago and when I re-logged on it didn't automatically log me in to here.
I dont want to turn off my anti-virus as this is a minor inconvience and I dont want to potentially pick up something that could be damaging that will make things worse.
I'm using the latest IE browser, is it version 7? I'm not sure

What privacy settings do you have on IE?

Anything above Medium blocks cookies on vBulletin.

Hope this helps.

I've turned them down to low so hopefully that will help, I had them on medium.

I think the problem is when I delete cookies and empty the temp internet folder because that is what happened when I logged off a couple of hours ago.
So I'll just have to play around with a few things and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help MadScot.

Im a little confused as to what is wrong with my game play mainly whats wrong with my science. Throught most of the first era I am technolgicaly advanced and try to get 2 defencive units per city. I usualy rush to republic and thats when the problems start. From here in I fall well behind in tech and it doesn't recover till the industrial age which means I loose 90% of my games (only game I ever one was a space race game) I don't understand how it is possible to fund science city improvements and more importantly a military in republic. Ive tried to make less units but that doesn't seem to work because the AI just attacks you cause they know your weak and you end up in a long drawn out defencive war which only cripples your science further. So Im wondering if anyone can give me any advice. Thx :)

It's hard to give any more than general advice, so I suggest you open up a new thread, where you post a save of your game, and ask for advice. Preferably in the strategy section of this forum. :)

And remember to mention if you play vanilla civ or PTW.

Originally posted by Stop Killing Me
Im a little confused as to what is wrong with my game play mainly whats wrong with my science. Throught most of the first era I am technolgicaly advanced and try to get 2 defencive units per city. I usualy rush to republic and thats when the problems start. From here in I fall well behind in tech and it doesn't recover till the industrial age which means I loose 90% of my games (only game I ever one was a space race game) I don't understand how it is possible to fund science city improvements and more importantly a military in republic. Ive tried to make less units but that doesn't seem to work because the AI just attacks you cause they know your weak and you end up in a long drawn out defencive war which only cripples your science further. So Im wondering if anyone can give me any advice. Thx :)

I used to have this problem as well - switching from despotism to republic used to send my treasury plummeting, making it hard to keep up in tech. Now, I have no such problems, and the key is to understand the differemces between despotism and republic. Here are some of the features:

1) 2MP in despotism, none in republic
2) each city gives you 4 unit free support n despotism, none in republic
3) there is a tile penalty in despotism, not in republic
4) the corruption difference between despotism and republic is very large
5) each tile that already produces 1g will produce an extra gold in republic.

What does this translate to in your game?

1) the first thing you'll notice as soon as you switch is that you'll intially have a harder time keeping your people happy in republic, because the 2MP has gone. Solution: use luxury expenditure. When I'm in republic, my lux slider tends to hover around 30%; the more luxuries you can hook up or trade for, the lower you can reduce your lux slider, but the important thing is, do not hire a bunch of entertainers when you get into republic, use the lux slider to keep as many citizens working as possible.

2) As soon as you enter republic, you'll find that you're suddenly paying a huge amount in military expenditure - every unit, every worker you have costs you 1gp that you previously never noticed in despotism, because you had free support. Understand that you do not neccassarily have to cut your military in republic, you just have to use it smarter to keep your income high. You say you get 2 military into every city you have? That;'s fine in despotism, but there's no point in republic, because they don't act as MP. Defend your borders heavily, you can leave the center of your empire relatively lightly defended. I would urge you to abandon this thinking of "I need x military units in each city to have adequate defence". Sometimes I leave the cities in the center of my empire completely undefended, sometimes I have a token warrior in there; there are suggestions that if you leave your cities completely undefended, this may encourage the AI to sneak attack or make more demands of you...I don't know if this is true, there has been no proper study of the subject...but you certainly do not need 2 units in all your cities. Defend the borders, the center is safe. Suddenly, you might find you don't need quite as much military to be safe, or even if the AI does attack you, you can easily repulse theirn attempts if most of your military is concentrated on your borders...

3) with the tile penalty lifted and corruption less of a problem in republic, you'll find your cities a lot more productive...your luxury expenditure will pay for itself if you develop your lands, and your cities will be able to produce many more shields. The key: have lots of workers to get your lands improved and your cities growing...remeber, you get 1 extra gold from every tile that already produces 1 gold in republic, so try to ensure that every tile you work is roaded, so you can claim the extra gold - you will need a lot of workers to do this.

4) following on from the last point, try to get all your cities to size 12 ASAP - irrigate over mines if you have to, set up worker factories to boost your pop if you have to, but get your cities large. If every tile you work gets you an extra gold, the more tiles you work, the more income you get. As I stated above, do not be afraid that the growth will outstrip your ability to keep your people happy - it will in the short term, but with every tile producing at least 2 gold and corruption much more slight, the lux expenditure will pay for itself and get you extra gold. This is perhaps the most important thing with regards to making rebublic a success, and why republic is so much superior to monarchy: a size 12 city in a republic will produce 12 gold more EVERY TURN than a size 12 city in monarchy - this more than makes up for the fact that monarchy and despotism give you free support and MP; the free support and MP add up to only 7gpt: so you are getting an extra 5gpt from each city in republic if you maximize their potential.

Many thanks for the reply will try to use some of that when I player later tonight. and Im sorry if its in the wrong forum had a look around but since Im new decided this was the best place :)

Originally posted by Nad

This is perhaps the most important thing with regards to making rebublic a success, and why republic is so much superior to monarchy: a size 12 city in a republic will produce 12 gold more EVERY TURN than a size 12 city in monarchy - this more than makes up for the fact that monarchy and despotism give you free support and MP; the free support and MP add up to only 7gpt: so you are getting an extra 5gpt from each city in republic if you maximize their potential.

This depends on the corruption level. If you have a highly corrupt city, then the "virtual" 7 gpt from MPs and free support could be worth more than, say, 30% of 12gpt (because your city is 70% corrupt). Despotism/monarchy gets more value out of ICS-like strategies with lots of highly corrupt cities; republic/democracy get more value out of fewer, larger, less corrupt cities.

Also, MPs are more efficient than luxury slider, because you can put them only where you need them, instead of everywhere. Of course, if you aren't actively fighting a war, then the free unit support may not have "full value" since all it's giving you is MPs.

I agree this seems outside the scope of "Quick Answers". Maybe we should have a "What am I doing wrong?" or "Please help!" thread in the Strategy forum, to complement this one.

Originally posted by Stop Killing Me
Many thanks for the reply will try to use some of that when I player later tonight. and Im sorry if its in the wrong forum had a look around but since Im new decided this was the best place :)
If you're new to the forum, this is the best place to ask a question. If it turns out to be beyond the scope of this thread, e.g., a more detailed description and analysis of the problem is needed, we can always direct you to a better place. ;) I would much rather have a question be asked here, than not asked at all!

:D

Here's an easy one.

I can't EVER vote in polls, always says something like "The auction can't be performed, bla bla bla"

What gives??

Here's a quicker one.
Does this site have a history link?
Somethng that tells a little bit about it, how long it's been running, what it is about, things that go on here etc

click on the unit type to be upgraded and press "shift-U"

Note to self. Don't answer after leaving PC for an hour without refreshing page first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom