Writing a story in the Stories & Tales section

Niccolo Edwards

Looking busy
Rule #1: The people that read your story are invested in its outcome, don’t leave them hanging.

Rule #2: Know that your story will get a fair trail, update it, make sure its edited and people will read it. There are however 41 pages on this sub-forum, if you don’t update it may end up on page 41 and won’t get a fair trail.

Now onto the guide:

There are three general types of stories:

History books:
There are different ways this can be done; they can be told as if they were general history books in your world or they can also take the form of excerpts from different books, they can even be a character in 2050 reading about the events of the past. There is no limit to what you can do here, just make sure that you stick to this format once you have started.

For an example check out Zoolooman’s end of history (unfortunately incomplete) http://lparchive.org/Civilization-4/

Narrative:
Again may different ways you can do this; most common is to follow different people around the major events of the empire. You will need a lot of characters to keep up with the different events and the passage of time. Of course other forms such as history books and comedy can be added in to make it more realistic.

For an example check out Vanadorn’s Pax Romana (sadly it is also incomplete) http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=88714

Comedy:

Either character or game based with the intention of making readers laugh; this is the most free and least restricted format of story.

For an example check out MaxWar’s RandomLand http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=445176

It is recommended that you take detailed notes on every event
My method is

Turn:
Year:
Events:

Under events I list what happened, what happened, where did it happen, who was involved.

For example if I were to build a theater in my city of Memphis on turn 105 in the year 500 BC I would write
Turn: 105
Year: 500 BC
Events:
Theater built in Memphis

Similarity for military engagements one would write where they occurred, who was involved, and the result

Turn: 105
Year: 500 BC
Events:
Theater build in Memphis
Defending Horse Archer near Thebes defeated by attacking Roman spearman. Roman spearman sustained 2.8 damage
Attacking Horse Archer near Thebes victorious against defending Roman spearman. Horse Archer near Thebes sustained no damage.

These notes help later on when you need to write about what happened when. This also helps you to not have to open up your game and load it to the year to see the events.

I recommend you finish your game before beginning a story. This does two things; first it makes sure your game is worth a story being told. I had a game once where I took an entire continent in the first eighty turns, I had two wars and limited contact with other civilizations. This also ensures that you know how the story will end it allows you to decide what events are relevant to your story; you may have ten thousand words in notes across fifty pages, but, are all of those words relevant to your story; without a doubt the answer is NO! Not all your events are relevant, but some of them that you would think are inconsequential may not be, thus, you should know roughly how your story will play out. If you look at my story, The Ascent and Betterment of Rome (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=543391) you can see that I had been planning several events well in advance. From my third update until my eighth I had been planning a revolution. I however also know how that revolution will affect events thousands of years into game future; dozens of updates into the future.

If you have questions leave them below and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Depending on if I believe there is enough for another lesson I will add one.

Until then, I wish you the best of luck writing and hope to see you on the forum.

I agree with everything but the end. If I finish a game then try to do a story on it, I get bored. I want to know what happens with the reader. I want to play a game and go "ooo! I can't wait to write about this in a day or two!".

Also, I find the pictures are enough for me to figure out what happened. I just look at the picture and remember why I took it, (although that's harder for a story with no pictures like yours I suppose :p)

I agree with everything but the end. If I finish a game then try to do a story on it, I get bored. I want to know what happens with the reader. I want to play a game and go "ooo! I can't wait to write about this in a day or two!".

Also, I find the pictures are enough for me to figure out what happened. I just look at the picture and remember why I took it, (although that's harder for a story with no pictures like yours I suppose :p)

this

another thing about writing after you play a part of the game as opposed to after you finish the whole game is

*Recollection of the events is easier
*Possibility of having votes on different paths to take

and im sure there are more

You can also just listen to advice in general.

I recommend you finish your game before beginning a story. This does two things; first it makes sure your game is worth a story being told.

Even if it is purely an After Action Report getting a bit of feedback is always nice. Of course we have to keep in mind:

A category characterized by updates made with little to no reader interaction

I had a game once where I took an entire continent in the first eighty turns, I had two wars and limited contact with other civilizations. This also ensures that you know how the story will end it allows you to decide what events are relevant to your story; you may have ten thousand words in notes across fifty pages, but, are all of those words relevant to your story; without a doubt the answer is NO! Not all your events are relevant, but some of them that you would think are inconsequential may not be, thus, you should know roughly how your story will play out.

I disagree building a theater in every city could and should be talked about in great detail in all stories. But yeah I see your point it can be kind of hard to avoid writing about inconsequential events.

Wow; apparently this drew a lot of reactions.

First I’ll go through what members brought up then I’ll do a lesson on embedding images and interactive stories.

I disagree building a theater in every city could and should be talked about in great detail in all stories. But yeah I see your point it can be kind of hard to avoid writing about inconsequential events.

It entirely depends on the style of the narrative. In my story the Ascent and Betterment of Rome (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13686503) I never mentioned discovering aesthetics because it didn’t fit with the story and aesthetics isn’t necessarily a technological breakthrough but more of an acquired culture (and it changes through history.)

I’m beginning to regret not taking more pictures I spend half my time writing going back to save games to better remember events. :Cry:

You can also just listen to advice in general.

I can’t tell if that’s passive aggressive or if my office environment is getting to me… if you want to elaborate and/or clarify that would be appreciated (either by PM or on this sub-forum.)

Now for the lesson:

Interactive stories are a special type of story they can be in any format. The writer can give responders the events that occurred and allow them to piece it into a story, or the writer can provide the details of the situation and allow the responders choices. Some of these stories have the responders act as a council of advisors, other times polls are conducted to find the most popular options while other times the responders simply provide suggestions that are undertaken at the discretion of the writer. All of these options are like all others, they require frequent updates. However due to the unique nature of these stories they require more regular and scheduled updates to keep readers interested.

For an example check out CaterpillarKing’s Ethiopia: The Land of Wonder (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=527774)

I never actually found out how to embed photos so if someone could shed some light on that I too would greatly appreciate it (I intend to have photos fro my next story, whenever that is)

I was just saying that if I'm doing an AAR and I posted an update someone can yell at me "Hey you dumb sack of crap! You should settle above the cow to get the gold you idiot!", and if I've only played a bit I can take their advice :p I wasn't aiming that at you I promise, sorry about that :p

How to embed images:

first of all, take those screenshots!

You can use Civ's built in commands, just press the PrintScr button and whatever is on your display at the moment will be saved in the \Users\YOU\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\ScreenShots folder
these get automatically named Civ4Screenshot0000.jpg and so on, so be careful to take them in a roughly sensible order or you'll have a difficult time sorting them later.

Also be careful: if you rename or remove some of these, and leave "gaps" in the numbering, (say 0000,0001, 0003) then the next screenie you take will be named with the lowest available number, so it'll become 0002. Of course, you can sort files by creation or modification date when looking at the folder, so that can help.

Or you can use some external programs (Fraps for example) that will use their hotkeys and save images in their specified folder. These might give you better quality images (Civ's automatic screenies are somewhat grainy on the text).
Your choice.

After having made the images, you can choose to edit them if you like.
Basic stuff can be done in Paint (cutting, resizing, adding text, boxes, arrows...).
Of course if you know how to use better programs like Photoshop or others, then go on and amaze us with your artwork :)

After having the final image you want to post, you need to upload it somewhere.
There exist several sites that do free image hosting. Personally I use imgur.com, but there are a lot out there, just do a quick google search for free image hosting.

After uploading all the images you need, you will have a list of urls to those images (provided by the hosting site, usually they have some way to give you this list when selecting a bunch of images).

The next step is to start writing your new post on this forum!
I suggest first writing up in word, then pasting here.

To make an image appear directly in the post, use the tags (img)URL(/img), only istead of ( ) you have to use [ ]

If you want the image to be hidden inside a spoiler, which is a good thing if you have big pictures and/or a lot of them, the (img)URL(/img) must be inside (spoiler) (/spoiler) tags, again using the proper [ ] brackets.

The forum limits you to a maximum of 30 images per post (smilies are included in this number).

Before posting, remember to click that "preview post" button to see if everything works as intended, maybe you mixed up a couple of links, or will want to move something around.

Also be careful that, if you rename or remove some of there, and leave "gaps" in the numbering, (say 0000,0001, 0003) then the next screenie you take will be named with the lowest available number, so it'll become 0002.

Found that out the hard way :p

I was just saying that if I'm doing an AAR and I posted an update someone can yell at me "Hey you dumb sack of crap! You should settle above the cow to get the gold you idiot!", and if I've only played a bit I can take their advice :p I wasn't aiming that at you I promise, sorry about that :p

My apologies, my office is probably the most tense and hostile environment on Earth (I swear everyone hates everyone :trouble:) so I just read into that the wrong way. Again I'm Sorry.

Hey no problem :) I definitely know that feeling :p

Rule #1: The people that read your story are invested in its outcome, don’t leave them hanging.

I just realized what this one person said on the other story said fits so well here.

"If a story is dead in the mind of its writer, it's dead even though words continue to march across the pages."

Sisiutil shouldn't continue out of guilt for his readers. It's a masterpiece by itself, already.

First thank you to Noyyau for that lesson. Now because of this...

I just realized what this one person said on the other story said fits so well here.
"If a story is dead in the mind of its writer, it's dead even though words continue to march across the pages."

Sisiutil shouldn't continue out of guilt for his readers. It's a masterpiece by itself, already.

...today I want to talk about ending stories. If you want to abandon a story, first tell people that you’re abandoning it don’t just abandon it. Second give readers some closure, kill off your characters, let them complete their quest, destroy the entire planet (hard to do in the ancient era, but if someone wants to try that…) make peace with your enemies, just don’t leave the readers hanging (one update is all that’s necessary.) Yes, the story might be dead in your mind but, it may not be so in the minds of your readers, give them something… anything… Just a small update and a notice that there will be no future updates is fine.

...today I want to talk about ending stories. If you want to abandon a story, first tell people that you’re abandoning it don’t just abandon it. Second give readers some closure, kill off your characters, let them complete their quest, destroy the entire planet (hard to do in the ancient era, but if someone wants to try that…) make peace with your enemies, just don’t leave the readers hanging (one update is all that’s necessary.) Yes, the story might be dead in your mind but, it may not be so in the minds of your readers, give them something… anything… Just a small update and a notice that there will be no future updates is fine.

The trouble with this is: Sisiutil's and Tomorrow's Dawn's (among others) stories have had updates long after they might have been considered abandoned. The story-lover readers would much rather have the two updates two years later, than the premature-with-hindsight ending/announcement which prevents any further storytelling...

Sometimes it just happens. It took me 7 months to end my very first story (in fact, it didn't have any pictures either) just because I could not get into the feel of it. As soon as I sat down to finish it, my mind went totally blank. I don't like abandoning stories, but sometimes it happens. I've never technically abandoned a story, I just put them on hiatus. I overwhelmed myself with like 5 stories so I just had to stop. I'm going to get back to them, but I just can't right now.

I agree with Yudishtira. I just killed off my pictureless story with a quick ending because like 3 people were reading it :p It was not very good.

Top Bottom