CIV IV (Gold Edition) Stopped Working; Windows 7

srynas

Chieftain
We played CIV IV (Gold Edition) on a Windows 7 computer. After stopping play, Windows 7 ran an update. We reloaded CIV IV but it no longer loaded.

We did the usual tweaks with "run as compatible mode" and reinstalled the game. That did not work. Then did a "system restore" to the the Windows 7 version prior to our play date. The game reloaded.

However, Windows 7 of course re-updated itself and the CIV 4 once again does not load.

• Is this a known issue?
  • Is there a fix for it?

Microsoft disabled a needed feature for CIV and many older games and programs in a recent Windows 7 patch. There is discussion and a couple of ways to fix the problem in the thread titled "Please login with administrative privileges and try again" here in the Tech Support forum.

Thanks for the links. The thread "Please login with administrative privileges and try again" was very informative. I especially appreciated:
Isn't it ironic that after years of not using no-cd cracks out of fear for viruses, the copy protection itself turns out to be a security threat?:hammer:
Also, I'm surprised Microsoft can just shut down a 3rd party driver in a Windows update. I must have missed the "all your software are belong to us" clause in the Windows EULA.:dubious:
On the plus side: this little bit of nonsense has brought me back to CivFanatics after more than 3 years of absence :)
I've joined in 2006. Several years ago I switched to Linux (Ubuntu) but still liked to play Civilization.

I submitted a request for customer assistance from 2K Customer Support. In the event that you should also be interested in submitting a support request; below is a copy of their request for additional information so that you can provide it to them at the time of submission.

Georg S., Oct 8, 7:04 PM:

Hello Rimworldsmail,

Thank you for contacting 2K Customer Support. I'm sorry to hear that you experience problems with Civilization IV. I'm a big fan of the Civilization series myself. I will give my best to resolve this issue for you!

In order to further investigate this issue, we will need to see your DXDiag and MSinfo files, please.

To get these files:

1) Close all open applications
2) Press the Windows key +'R' on your keyboard > Type dxdiag > Click OK > Click Save all information
3) Press the Windows key +'R' on your keyboard > Type msinfo32 > Click OK > Select File and then EXPORT and save the file as a text file(*.txt)

Log in to your support ticket and then select the attach file option under the comments box to attach the files to your case. Alternatively respond to this email with the files attached.

Once I receive the DxDiag and MSinfo files, I'll investigate your issue and update your ticket. In order to provide a good solution for your issue, could you please also provide more details? For example, you could describe which steps lead to the issue and if you receive any error messages.

Do you, by the way, use the disc version or the Steam version of the game?

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Georg S.
2K Support

The response from 2K Support. I consider that unacceptable. My opinion is that they should either develop their own patch and/or work with M$ to fix the game.

You may also be interested in reading this post at TechDirt: DRM Still Breaking Games Nearly A Decade After Purchase

Georg S., Oct 10, 5:22 PM:

Hello Rimworldsmail,

Thanks for getting back to us.

It appears that the latest update to Windows has caused an issue with many types of copy protection software, and thus making these games inaccessible currently.

However we may be able to transfer you to a Steam installation which would remove this requirement and allow you to continue playing.
Because Glu Mobile announced that it would be shutting down servers for several older games using GameSpy Technology (such as the disk based version of Civilization:IV) we have transitioned Civilization:IV from GameSpy to Steamworks.

To be eligible to receive the Steamworks version of Civilization:IV you will need to have an active Steam account and provide us with the following information:

A photo of the physical disc and case accompanied by your email address written on a piece of paper in the photo.

We will review eligibility based on your photo, so if you get a Steam key it won't be right away and we'd like to ask you to be patient as we work through the queue.

With Regards,

Georg S.
2K Support

Top Bottom