Sid Meier's Civilization IV Info Center

Okay, I have played a couple games from the Sim franchise. I also borrowed Cossacks and Tropico from someone and fiddled with them, and by the sound of it they are RTS games as well. Thanks for clearing that up.

W.i.n.t.e.r said:
[...]
it seems that one will be able to assemble "multi-units" together from single units built and send them into battle- or that's what I thought about when I read the particular part of the article ??? That would then resemble armies on the campaign map of games such as Rome Total war...

Any attempt to make moving large number of units easier, would be a good one. I still would like to find a concept similar to the one as of CTP/CTP2... or at least to have a chance to mod this in.

hmm, Ctp series... that's a different approach again- a game within a game (when looking at the way the battles were fought) but yes, similar in the movement. Again, I am merely speculating cuz I couldn't think of anything else RTS could apply to when in an essentialy turn-based genre game...

I on my side have some doubts about being able to do things during the intra-turn.
In the beginning, it is just to short, later on it is only that long, since the engine has some calculations to do. If it would help to have to check for the human player's turns? I've to admit that I have some doubts about this.

My impression is the RTS stuff is strictly an interface thing. Not that they're planning on destroying the idea of turns, or that units get pumped out of special buildings... But controls:

- Right clicking allows you to perform a quick "go to" action
- Right clicking on an enemy unit automatically triggers an attack, in war time
- Right clicking on a city automatically fortifies the unit in that city
- You can move to "hot spots" with # keys, and create them with CTRL-#

Stuff like that.

I'm pleased with civics. It's addresses many of the things I hoped would be addressed by diverging tech trees. Particularly, the idea of unlocking different civilization-shaping choices. Whether you unlock the chance to research slavery, or you unlock the ability to flick slavery on, it's a valuable choice players need to have.

Yeah, although nothing is certain, civics appears on the surface to conform to what I had hoped for. Of course, this is the area I am MOST waiting to hear yet more about-i.e. whether it is wholly within the tech tree, or whether the points on the tech tree allows you to adjust civic settings.

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

As a side note, I'm still completely confused about religion. Not that I hate it or like it, but I'm just not sure what route they're going.

To some degree, I hope that religion is just an extension of your political system. It will "offer myriad tools to control your people more effectively and keep them happier" -- which actually sounds a lot like the function of a SMAC-style Social Engineering system, or other existing concepts like city improvements and wonders. In other words, I hope that religion is icing on the cake, rather than a "killer feature" in of itself.

legally: in the magazine

otherwise there is a thread on civfanatics in which someone uploaded the pics in a zip file. dont remember who. sorry.

the100thballoon said:
otherwise there is a thread on civfanatics in which someone uploaded the pics in a zip file. dont remember who. sorry.

you mean the two NEW pics that will be released in the April issue?
If yes, be more specific about where are those files, pls... :)

V. Soma said:
you mean the two NEW pics that will be released in the April issue?
If yes, be more specific about where are those files, pls... :)

We all would appeciate if someone who have these pictures could make them avible....

ainwood said:
Yes - Please DO NOT post any pictures that may be subject to copyright.
it is illegal and that is enough of a reason for me not to post them. another reason is that i do not have them nor have i seen them. :D i was reffering to the first gfx that came out.

Ah relax about the screenshots. We should be seeing them soon™ on internet previews. And this begs the question, “how soon should soon actually be?”
:crazyeye: All the info is still mostly from Magazines which only a very small number of people have gotten.
Edit: And yeah, if it was legal, I'd post them here already.

Hi all, new here.

Very interesting and exciting info, too bad no screenshots yet.

I was looking at the Game informer site. To list yet another date for release they mention the first of december (for what it's worth). They can't push it back much further or they'll miss christmas sales ;) As it seems they have the most recent article there might be some truth in to though. Posting this b/c I haven't seen it yet.

But the strange thing is they list it as an action game :confused:

here's the link:Release date

No Michaelangelo, it clearly says TWELTH of the FIRST (i.e. 12/01/2005). This clearly means that the game was released in mid-January, and somehow we have been too busy suggesting new features, for Civ4, to notice it on the shelf-and now its all SOLD OUT :eek: !!!! :lol: :mischief:

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Top Bottom