Patria Grande: Civilizations of the Americas

perhaps, that's true, but in the case in my game, it got me a new lux and a natural wonder I didn't have. I did it right after we made peace, so Songhai couldn't DOW me, even if they wanted to.

If it happened to me it would be really frustrating, because I could see him move the Liberator and not be able to stop him from stealing land. It's that part that bothers me.

It's more likely that people would use them as preliminary settlers than for land-stealing on anything but the front line of a war.

Perhaps having the ability to build Citadels outside your cities' downside is... well, having a hugely circumstancial UA? hehe...

So, it is true, the boost for liberation must be increased... My options are the following:
1. Make it a percentage culture boost (75% of the total cost of your next policy)
2. Make it Era-dependant (which I don't know how to do yet)
3. Make the bonus a Golden Age rather than a culture boost...

I honestly like option 3, because it does give a better bonus, isn't exploitable, and best of all, isn't so specifical to one Victory Condition, which after all, for now, doesn't fit with domination and expansions that much (while Simon Bolivar is certainly focusing on that)

About the AI... eh, ouch, I'll change it...

I like 3 better too. Getting % culture to next policy for doing something is neat, but I don't think it works that way it was set up. Perhaps a similar idea can be used later on.

question. What happens if I liberate while I'm having a golden age?

question. What happens if I liberate while I'm having a golden age?

It will add up 10 turns to the current Golden Age... still doing some testing...

Well, sorry for the lack of updates, but you know, life and BNW...

At any rate, I decided I would update the Qullana (which will now be the Aymara), the Bolivian (its UA will be overhauled) and the Gran Colombian (with the golden age change) civilizations before BNW...

The first one to be updated is the Qullana. A list of changes:
  • Changed the name from Qullana to Aymara. Although Qullana is a bit recognized by some of the indigenist movements at Bolivia, the name itself doesn't have much approval historically and isn't know world-wide... So, decided to go with the recognizable name and that's Aymara.
  • Changed the trait to reflect a bit more of the Aymara.
  • The Chullpa now replaces the shrine instead of the monument.
  • Changed the Diplo screen to be more in line with most depictions of Tupac Katari.
  • Changed the Civ's color, to better represent the usual dressing colors of most aymara provinces by now.
  • Changed the Civ's symbol, because I plan to use the former symbol for another unannounced civ, and the new symbol represents the Aymara modifications to the chakana betterly.
  • Changed the leader's icon.
  • Added new music for Tupac Katari.
  • Changed the AI Flavors a bit. Formerly Tupac Katari ended up being a religious powerhouse (specially with the Chullpas replacing monuments), now it is more of a Denouncer with strong defense.

AND, I also made this nice chart for all the civs that are to come, click it to download.

Screenshots.
Spoiler :

It will add up 10 turns to the current Golden Age... still doing some testing...

I think it would be a better idea just to make it the same amount that a Great Artist gives, which I think also changes depending on game speed but is always constant in that setting. So do a check what the game speed setting is and then give 6 or 8 or 10, etc.

Looks awesome (Love the infobox thing!) but I don't like not being able to upgrade the UU. If you've got veteran units that are highly promoted from the start of the game, they get stuck at the UU. If it's an issue with an OP bonus you could just make the promotion lost on upgrade, which I think would be better than not being able to upgrade the unit full stop.

Looks awesome (Love the infobox thing!) but I don't like not being able to upgrade the UU. If you've got veteran units that are highly promoted from the start of the game, they get stuck at the UU. If it's an issue with an OP bonus you could just make the promotion lost on upgrade, which I think would be better than not being able to upgrade the unit full stop.

It's more of an issue because the Ponchos Rojos are fairly cheaper to produce, but the cost for upgrading them was still the same, so in the end you'd end up with a nice chance of suddenly having lots of riflemen... And also, it does represent a bit the real situation of the Ponchos, they still use old muskets when they fight...

But, I'd ask something, how do you make an upgrade lose the promotions?

EDIT: Or, perhaps I could give our Poncho Rojo it's own promotion path? Increasing the bonus of adjacent units strongly each time...

It's more of an issue because the Ponchos Rojos are fairly cheaper to produce, but the cost for upgrading them was still the same, so in the end you'd end up with a nice chance of suddenly having lots of riflemen...

Are you sure? I thought I remembered the German Landesknact (or however you spell it) actually being more expensive to upgrade than normal pikeman. I figured the game calculates upgrade cost based on the difference in hammer cost of the two units, so cheaper units actually cost more to upgrade. Maybe they changed this when G&K came out.

But, I'd ask something, how do you make an upgrade lose the promotions?

<LostWithUpgrade>true</LostWithUpgrade>

In the promotion XML.

Are you sure? I thought I remembered the German Landesknact (or however you spell it) actually being more expensive to upgrade than normal pikeman. I figured the game calculates upgrade cost based on the difference in hammer cost of the two units, so cheaper units actually cost more to upgrade. Maybe they changed this when G&K came out..

Ok, you're right, uploaded a new fixed version... (Also fixed an issue with the music)

Question, why is it str14 instead of like the normal str24? Is this meant to be?

Question, why is it str14 instead of like the normal str24? Is this meant to be?

It was, in the older (not oldest) version, the adjacent bonus was huge, so in fact it would encourage to only use them that way... But the current version has a str of 22, and an adjacent bonus 30%... (and if not, I'm reuploading it right now, could be I forgot to double check the modification)

I''ve encountered a bug with the aymara where they appear to be missing their UU and the mod it making strange things happen at the civ selection screen, like removing the scroll bar.

Hmn... odd... That happens when the override isn't well mentioned... And thus it appears that for some reason it isn't referencing the Poncho Rojo... Thing is, it doesn't happen to me... Anyone else has this problem?

So, since no one replies, I'm going to assume that no one else got that problem... Maybe, if you had an old version (which was called Qullana) now both exist causing conflicts to the database... So I suggest erasing all versions of the Aymara and the Qullana you find, and download again...

So... Bolivia's update will likely be today or tomorrow... But I'd like some opinions on the change of the UA:

UA: Mestizo-Baroque Syncretism: Gain +2 Culture for each foreign religion on each city. Holy sites yield +4 Culture. Holy Sites may be built by Missionaries with half its yields.

Explanation: Bolivia is an incredibly syncretic nation, because of the influence of precolonial religions and beliefs, and colonization itself. The beliefs here have merged and turned into hugely cultural heritage, and that keeps happening with whatever crosses our borders.

About the Holy Site, Bolivia is also very known for its Baroque-Mestizo temples, thing is they are only temples so I couldn't make them a real UB... So instead, Holy Sites are a reference to thsoe temples built during the evangelization.

Missionaries can build Holy Sites for two main reasons. First, because of the Culture per Religion thing you'll likely not even want to found a Religion, so you'll end up without the possibility of generating Prophets and thus, you will not be able of using the bonus. And second, because Missionaries always established "missions" in Bolivia by building temples, that also ended up as part of our cultural heritage.

Aside from that, the UU and UB remain the same... So now Bolivia is sort of a Faith-Culture oriented Civ, but not Religion-oriented... Any Opinions?

Also, for the Gran Colombia update, these are going to be the changes:

UA: The Independence of a Continent: Conquered cities start with a Courthouse. Liberating a Civilization or City-State starts a Golden Age.
UU: Libertador: Can build Republiquetas, which are citadels outside friendly territory. AND, they can conduct a "Liberation Campaign" with other City-States, granting a lot of diplomacy points and some culture. (like the Great Merchant's Ability but without gold).

Explanation: The Golden Age for Liberation is mostly a balance change, which manages to keep bonuses in a far less static way than just an ammount of culture. The Liberation Campaign is for two main reasons: To promote more a diplo victory with Gran Colombia but not depending on whether the other civs conquer a city state or not. And to give a reason to prevent Republiquetas to be spawned everywhere.

So, Diplomacy + Domination, Gran Colombia is our favorite Liberty-Monger now... Opinions?

Finally, I made some changes to Eva Perón's Leaderscene (still a WIP, I'm still not completelly liking it):

Spoiler :

Opinions?

I preferred Bolivia's old trait. The old trait is a true ability, the new one is just a bonus. I know that it probably represents Bolivia better (you do live there after all) but strategy-wise the first is better.

I like the Gran Colombia update though. Speaking of which, I know I've asked you this millions of times before, but do you now get a Golden Age upon liberating any city or just city-states?

I preferred Bolivia's old trait. The old trait is a true ability, the new one is just a bonus. I know that it probably represents Bolivia better (you do live there after all) but strategy-wise the first is better.

I do think that Missionaries building Holy Sites is quite an ability hehe...

I understand though, but after much reading and all, the Capital issue is truly a touchy one here depending on the city... (Here in La Paz we like it, there in Sucre they hate it; so it generates a lot of political problems and all that)

I like the Gran Colombia update though. Speaking of which, I know I've asked you this millions of times before, but do you now get a Golden Age upon liberating any city or just city-states?

Both, which should increase the chances a bit.

Top Bottom