Inca - Manco Capac

gia

Chieftain
Workshop Link

UA: Children of Wiraqucha
  • Starts with the Ayar brothers.
  • All Cities founded on a Recommended tile generate +2 Gold and start with a Temple.

UU: The Ayar Brothers
  • Replaces the starting units: The first settler, the first combat unit and adds two scouts.
  • After Wiraqucha caused the Great Deluge to cleanse the earth, he sent Ayar Kachi, Ayar Uchu, Ayar Auka, Ayar Manco and their wives out of the caves of Tampu T'oqo on a quest to find fertile land to settle.
  • Gain bonuses for fulfilling their tragic fates, or face penalties for defying the creator.
  • You may need to give the legend a read.

UB: Intikancha
  • Replaces the Grand Temple. Doubles religious pressure emanating from this City.
  • +1 Food, +3 Faith for all mountain tiles within working range of this City.
  • All Missionaries born in this city start with the Medic I Promotion, and gain the Medic II Promotion while within their own territory.
  • Must be built in a Holy City. Must have built a Temple in all Cities. The cost goes up the more cities there are in the empire.
  • May be purchased with Faith.

Other
  • LUA+XML mod without dependencies, should be most compatible.
  • The Civilization uses some UI events to fulfill its UA, as such, I can't promise it works "perfectly" on anything but single player.
  • On load, there might be some heavy processing. The problem with this is that if you settle your capital while this processing is going on, you'll catch the game without all of its variables properly set and you'll break the game (you may lose, or win straight). Please wait until the game is not processing.
  • On the first turn, some terraforming is done. Civilization V is not kind to that kind of modding, so you won't be able to see the terraforming (a lake and a mountain are added -unless there is a lake and a mountain on your starting location already). Their yields, or lack of, will be visible, but the terrain will not, making it confusing. In order to make these visible you will need to reload the save once. As such, the best way to start a game is to wait for it to load, save, load the save, and then start playing. Further sessions on that save wont need to reload again, this is only for the first session on a new game.
  • The Civilization is named The Qheswa because the game does not allow two The Inca to exist. Before becoming Inca, they were just Quechuan tribes (people that spoke Quechua) that traveled into Cusco, an area without Quechuan people. Qheswa and Manko Qhapaq are spellings I found on very old texts, to give flavor to the civ as it follows the very first Inca. Modern Quechua has different spelling.
  • There are several "hidden" mechanics, if lost, use the civlopedia, read the promotions, etc, for pointers. While the civ is not infinitely versatile, it can play a very wide variety of strategies. Even strategies that rely on triggering the penalties.

Credits
  • gia, design, programming, civlopedia
  • Libraries by Pazyryk, Machiavelli, LeeS, whoward69, DJSHenninger

The code is basically done, bar bugs or minor details. No custom art, if anyone wants to tackle that (or my other civs), be my guest.

I played a lot of games, although only on Emperor, seemed okay to me. The combo I was going for from the beginning didn't work so well (worked but wasn't that effective, it was fully faith with a UU prophet), and was not so accurate to the leader.

Texts give emphasis to his origin legend(s), that he built Intikancha, that he brought progress (social/knowledge) to the land, that he did attempt to expand but met heavy resistance, which is funny, because it is pointed that it is sort of impressive he managed to survive at all being surrounded by hostile tribes (he sort of forward settled them). So I focused on the mythical, religion and military but mostly turtling-oriented bonuses.

After several changes I think it is in an okay spot but it has so many different possibilities now I may have missed something big that should be nerfed.

I had a go at creating a leaderscene for Manco Capac. What do you think of this? Definitely still some improvements that need making, but is this in the right general direction?

lol, I can give you incan pictures if you want to try, although their resolutions might not be great, just add me on steam.

btw the bg would be better the titicaca lake (as if he's emerging/walking on the water) if going for a mythical portrait, or coricancha/qorikancha for realism, but replacing the top floor that has modern construction with more incan walls.

This civilization is all mythical origin, forcibly so I'd say. So Lake Titicaca is the best option by a longshot, less work dealing with preparing the background too.

btw the bg would be better the titicaca lake (as if he's emerging/walking on the water) if going for a mythical portrait, or coricancha/qorikancha for realism, but replacing the top floor that has modern construction with more incan walls.

The Pyramid is not even a real one, its just a picture I found on google images of a non-specific latin-american pyramid reconstruction. Anyway, I have removed it and replaced it with a small settlement and temple with the Coricancha wall around it. I have also edited out modern brickwork, and have changed Manco a lot so he no longer looks so low quality. I feel comfortable enough with the leader itself, but the background is still far from perfect obviously.

If you still think it is no good good then I can work on it more, or, as you say, switch it out for the Titicaca lake. I just wanted to have a go at using as much of the background I had already made as possible. Obviously if you don't like anything I make, then you don't have to use it anyway. I'm just playing around and discovering different things you can do with editing images, so no hard feelings if you decide not to use the pictures I have made, especially if they are not suitable for your mod.

Attachments

• Manco_Capac_scene_3_PNG.jpg
    Manco_Capac_scene_3_PNG.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 350
But the Pyramid in the background isn't even Incan...

Have now removed it. It isn't actually a real Pyramid anyway. Put it there because I couldn't initially find anything more relevant to give some interest to the background. As you and Gia have both pointed out, lake Titicaca is also an option for the background, but I still feel that there is room for improvement on this one, so have not yet given up. Obviously a lake would be a less fiddly background, but it would also look less unique. If it were to add to the mythical feel of the mod I would have to make the lake look more fantastical anyway though.

Have now removed it. It isn't actually a real Pyramid anyway. Put it there because I couldn't initially find anything more relevant to give some interest to the background. As you and Gia have both pointed out, lake Titicaca is also an option for the background, but I still feel that there is room for improvement on this one, so have not yet given up. Obviously a lake would be a less fiddly background, but it would also look less unique. If it were to add to the mythical feel of the mod I would have to make the lake look more fantastical anyway though.

You mean its a 3d render or drawing of a pyramid? because it looks like a mayan pyramid which is real if it comes from a photo.

To improve the current one you have to make it less blurry I feel (or does that look good ingame?). Get rid of the perspective issue on the right. Perhaps force Manco not to skip leg day. Make his face smaller because right now he got no chin.

I looked at several Coricancha photos since you gave me some interest and everything is modern construction photos, I dont see how that would be easy to work with.

Looked at Titicaca photos and the most breathtaking ones I saw, with a snowy mountaintop are apparently from Bolivia's side which would be so far away from Cusco, Titicaca being already far away from Cusco. There are still some cool looking pictures from indeterminate places (to me).

Looked at Manco Capac photos and most of it is cartoon depictions :/, although there are a few cosplays. This one I liked it gives an idea on how you dont really need to make the lake mythical http://www.saluxuryexpeditions.com/blog/know-your-inca-manco-capac/ its all about that splash/crests around the characters.

I leave you these pictures in case any is useful to you:
http://www.deviantart.com/art/The-Return-of-Manco-Capac-60224838
http://catic.deviantart.com/art/Manco-Capac-518054534
http://ekladata.com/jq4NiN-KMWxaFIn3lCCVjvX2Uvc.jpg
http://novalysperu.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/VILLE-de-CUSCO.jpg
http://perufolklorico.blogspot.pe/2012/11/noticias-hoy-se-represento-la-salida-de.html (it seems when they make reenactments they dont emerge from the waters, just come in ships?)
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-POJ1CGWwO...xBY/s400/02+Manco+Capac+y+Mama+Ocllo+dpfx.JPG
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-POJ1CGWwO...xBY/s400/02+Manco+Capac+y+Mama+Ocllo+dpfx.JPG
http://www.worldglobetrotters.com/Travelogues/2013F June 113/DSC03407.JPG (says pachacuti but im pretty sure Ive seen other pictures of him that said he was dressed as manco capac)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/46680793@N05/5610512980/in/photostream/
http://www.runawaybrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/DSC03364.jpg

Thanks for those pictures, they are very useful. I have already used one of them to replace the ugly looking feathers on top of Manco's head. I have also done some other editing to the leader (including the addition of a chin!) and my next step will be to make a new background featuring Lake Titicaca.

I think this picture you found is particularly good, and I plan to use it as a basis for the new background:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/466807...n/photostream/
What do you think? Do you think a background resembling this would be good?

that photo would work great for the splash screen

A few questions relating to that picture from flickr:

-How dramatic do you think the splash effect should look?

-How central should Manco be to the scene? I currently have him situated roughly in the same place as the original in the picture, but would you prefer it if he was more central? I currently have him there so he does not block the boats, which are a nice feature. Of course I can move them along too if neccasery.

-Should I keep the face in the water, or do you think it would make the scene look to outlandish?

If you mean the splash art, all leaders go to the side, if you mean a leader scene art, I dont think it works for that since all the leaders are at the center and facing forward, and the scene only has a simple background location, the bg is not the main "attraction" of the picture.

Also that puma would probably have to go, that photo is too much of a forum signature with it :p

You mean the Dawn of Man image?

That's basically a combination of the map of the civilization with the leaderscene proper. You don't really need a different image for the "splash art".

You mean the Dawn of Man image?

That's basically a combination of the map of the civilization with the leaderscene proper. You don't really need a different image for the "splash art".

Oh, right, that clears up the confusion. I did not realise that 'Dawn of Man' image was being referred to. I thought the reference to the 'splash' image was to the literal water splash effect for Capac's emerging from the waterin the leader scene:blush:.

I agree with you on this that it would not be worth using an entirely new different image just for that; vanilla civs don't have one. It would look inconsistent.

If you mean the splash art, all leaders go to the side, if you mean a leader scene art, I dont think it works for that since all the leaders are at the center and facing forward, and the scene only has a simple background location, the bg is not the main "attraction" of the picture.

Also that puma would probably have to go, that photo is too much of a forum signature with it :p

Not all leaders are at the centre, for example Gajah Mada, Pocatello and Isabella are on the right, and Oda Nobunga, Attila, Pacahuti and Theodora are on the left. What is important is that leaders appear to be looking at you, and that they stand out. But they don't even all need to dominate the screen the way Suleiman does; there is a lot going on in Sejong's screen, and he is further away than other leaders, yet the scene still looks good. Having said that, you are probably right in this case; if Capac is to far on one side of the screen, then attention will be drawn from him and towards the boats in the background.

I will follow your advice and remove the puma face in the water; it suits the original picture but not a leaderscene.

Yeah but you could have two different images if you wanted right?, The dawn image would be the representation of the dawn text which would mention the legends. While the leader screen would show the leader "in the flesh" and on solid ground of course.

I just dont see how the leader not facing the player at all could work, but if you make it work I dont mind.

I did this as a possible image for the Intikancha building icon and the ayar brothers (I dont know if it will look good in the game but I like the images themselves). I dont know how to put it in a nice frame and also how to compile it to be used by the game. If anyone can finish it up I'd appreciate it, the attachments have a circle showing more or less what centering I think would work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amhqkbj9pyygtij/intikanchanocircle.png?dl=0 <- intikancha lossless with no circle
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8i0gfsl0q7c3rmf/ayarbrothersnocircle.png?dl=0 <- ayar brothers lossless with no circle

Attachments

• intikancha.jpg
    intikancha.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 247
  • ayarbrothers.jpg
    ayarbrothers.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 308
I was not proposing that the leader didn't face you (I agree that that wouldn't look good), what I said was:

Not all leaders are at the centre, for example Gajah Mada, Pocatello and Isabella are on the right, and Oda Nobunga, Attila, Pacahuti and Theodora are on the left. What is important is that leaders appear to be looking at you, and that they stand out.

Anyway, here (in the attachment) is a screen I have made (though admittedly the backdrop is largely the same as the original picture you sent me, minus the original Manco Capac and the Puma face in the water). I feel like it could work as a leader scene.

Obviously Manco Capac is not centered, but I feel that he is central enough that the scene works- he is definitely not further to the right of the screen than some of the leaders in the vanilla game, and he definitely appears to be looking at the player.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Manco_Splash_PNG.jpg
    Manco_Splash_PNG.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 237
What's up with all the Totora boats?

If it's meant to be the mythical origin, there shouldn't be anyone there.

What's up with all the Totora boats?

If it's meant to be the mythical origin, there shouldn't be anyone there.

There has to be witnesses for the legend to catch on, perhaps not on screen but someone should be there. The image he used had them and it would be a pain in the ass to remove them, but I'm not too hot about them either, I still think he should be on the ground if he's speaking with you. I managed to find an article of the recreation of the legend by people from the area and they used boats! (as walking on water might be hard IRL, I guess they do that yearly as an attraction).

That totally looks like he's just surfing, mystery solved?

Top Bottom