[Map Script] Planet Generator

Well I tried the debug mode, and got some error. I googled the error and found out that it renaming the script causes this (so I had indeed installed them wrong...) I unpacked it and installed again and now its working, thanks for the help!

This map script is great! I'll propably test it a few more times (see what kind of maps it creates with differend settings) and then start a game

Small update, i noticed that random actions in several places were incorrectly implemented. This could often cause continents to "like" the bottom of map. Hopefully this solves it.

Also, new option - resources, is intended to have only one choice, because others are unfinished and therefore commented.

v. 0.64
- Random float number bug fix

This looks pretty cool. I tried it once, but even with flood plains set to "normal" I was getting them on plains tiles, and rarely on deserts.

Some suggestions to think about:

* A setting which puts flood plains on all desert river tiles, but not anywhere else. I often go into the world builder and fix the floodplains to make this true on any game I play anyway.

* If it's not already in there as the default (my experiment ended when I ran into so many plains flood plains but I notice some of your screenshot maps seem to be a little less icy), an option to reduce the number of near-useless tiles in the polar regions. The game insists on trying to start players on the tundra, and that makes for either a weakened opponent or a too-hard game. Personally I would consider getting rid of land ice tiles completely just fine, but just reducing the proportions of both tundra and ice substantially would be nice.

* I don't mind having the land go near the edges of the map, and a few sea ice tiles for flavor, but I'd like to be able to guarantee that northern and southern passages are possible; this makes trying for circumnavigation much less of a gamble and more of a concerted effort. (Although the BtS clarification that it's your maps, not an actual circumnavigation, that matter makes this less of a problem.)

Both of these latter two are also part of making the cylindrical map make sense as an approximation of a sphere. The core approximation in a cylindrical map is that you presume that the north and south edges are where the world becomes impassible, and conveniently that this happens at a low enough latitude that you can ignore the lack of modeling how much shorter a parallel is at high latitudes than low ones. Having your glacier-covered area extend at all into the playable cylinder, or your tundra extend much into it, gives up both playable terrain and the quality of the approximation.

This looks pretty cool. I tried it once, but even with flood plains set to "normal" I was getting them on plains tiles, and rarely on deserts.
Check out the new version in next post, i have made some changes in feature generation (still lots of things to tweak though)
* A setting which puts flood plains on all desert river tiles, but not anywhere else. I often go into the world builder and fix the floodplains to make this true on any game I play anyway.
New version should solve this, just use "standard flood placement".
* If it's not already in there as the default (my experiment ended when I ran into so many plains flood plains but I notice some of your screenshot maps seem to be a little less icy), an option to reduce the number of near-useless tiles in the polar regions. The game insists on trying to start players on the tundra, and that makes for either a weakened opponent or a too-hard game. Personally I would consider getting rid of land ice tiles completely just fine, but just reducing the proportions of both tundra and ice substantially would be nice.
There are several options to address that. First of all, you can set climate variation to Soft or Very Soft - that will reduce difference between equator and polar regions. Then, you can further adjust overall climate by changing Equator temperature.
* I don't mind having the land go near the edges of the map, and a few sea ice tiles for flavor, but I'd like to be able to guarantee that northern and southern passages are possible; this makes trying for circumnavigation much less of a gamble and more of a concerted effort.
Set "Land near pole ice" to "Never"
Both of these latter two are also part of making the cylindrical map make sense as an approximation of a sphere. The core approximation in a cylindrical map is that you presume that the north and south edges are where the world becomes impassible, and conveniently that this happens at a low enough latitude that you can ignore the lack of modeling how much shorter a parallel is at high latitudes than low ones. Having your glacier-covered area extend at all into the playable cylinder, or your tundra extend much into it, gives up both playable terrain and the quality of the approximation.
If I understand you correctly, you don't like idea about glacier area meeting tundra area. Neither do I, because with my generator you can make completely tropical planet, yet you will see glacier if you zoom out to globe view anyway - it is built in. That's why glacier area in my map is very minimal, and there is option to make land never touch it.

v. 0.65
- Many feature generation tweaks
- More forests or jungle (jungle depends on temperature)
- More flood plains on deserts
- More oases, better oasis placement
- Flood plain "Standard" generation options reduced to one
- Desert maps should be more interesting now
- Forests and jungle can start growing not only near water, but also near peaks which do not have many features around

Fair resource generator progress: ~ 15% done

If you load mod which have different world sizes than standard (i.e Rise of Mankind), they work now.

v. 0.66
- Mod map size support

v. 0.67
- Further improvements for mod map size support: now can understand completely customized sizes

I like the look of the continents your scripts are generating and especially the lonely island bit - I'm wondering if it's okay with you to try to merge your algorithms with the extra controls found in Sto's Full of Resources scripts? I like to play big maps with lots of civs and raging barbarians and find that if I don't give everyone quite a few extra units at the start, half the civs get eaten by the barbs!

I like the look of the continents your scripts are generating and especially the lonely island bit - I'm wondering if it's okay with you to try to merge your algorithms with the extra controls found in Sto's Full of Resources scripts? I like to play big maps with lots of civs and raging barbarians and find that if I don't give everyone quite a few extra units at the start, half the civs get eaten by the barbs!

I never looked into it, certainly, it could be possible, but fair resources have higher priority now ;)

I've been generating a few maps and the last couple I've noticed that the lonely islands are all devoid of hills or mountains. Intentional or something to look at?

Bug fixed, but I don't dare to call this version "stable", because of new code, which should prevent continents breaking in several parts with higher scattering. Also, higher scattering means bigger islands around continents, but now there is the limit how big islands can be (6 tiles for "rare islands" and 24 tiles for "coast varies a lot"). For lonely islands (they are like small continents), smaller islands around them can be up to 3 tiles.

Example, even with high scattering, path between continent parts is ensured (this is 3-continent map)

v. 0.68
- Coordinate system changed to circular for continent growth calculation (faster, not so blocky shapes)
- Continents should no longer break in several big parts (except with "archipelago continents")
- Bug fix: the lonely islands are all devoid of hills or mountains

I never looked into it, certainly, it could be possible, but fair resources have higher priority now ;)

Glad to hear this, because as well done as the script is in general, the scarcity of food resources makes it difficult to play with

Just to say that this map script is really good (my favorite), keep up the good work :)

Thanks!

Some rare bug found in latest version. It happens very rarely. It may take some time to catch it (also I don't have much free time now). Until then, this bug can halt continent or island generation at the very end (so generated map may lack islands or connected continent parts may not be ensured, or one tile islands may not be removed). If this is too much, use earlier version (0.64).

Just downloaded the newest version, and I must say this is a great script. Two things though.
-In the maps I've been creating, nearly every tile is covered by forest, even when humidity is on 'very small'...Is this intended, or could it be some of the other settings.
-Also, any chance of being able to control the general amount and length of rivers?

I was wondering as well about the forests. They are massively covering a huge percentage of land.

Nice script though, thx :)

I really like the map script too, although I agree with the comments about the amount of forest.

I mainly play Fall From Heaven which is slower to allow wood chopping than regular civ, and the AI players don't cope so well with it either. I also tried options to reduce the forest without much luck - if this area could be tweaked it would be really appreciated!

Just downloaded the map and I love it. Can't tell whether or not I care about all the forests, but it is definately noticable. I've also noticed a small amount of of tundra and ice near the poles.

I decided to read this whole thread because I love to play on maps generated by this script, but two things won't let me sleep calmly ;)
1. The amount of forests generated by Planet Generator, as mentioned above, and
2. In most cases when I start near ocean, I have two or three clam resources. Moreover clams are often all over the map, whereas crabs are very rare.
Will those issues be fixed?

Top Bottom