Rising Sun: Civilisations of Old Japan (Updated for 2017!)

I'm guessing it's the peninsula on Ishikawa, so... Noto? Maybe Kaga?

Correct, but I'm looking for the clan name. You've done most of the work though.

Correct, but I'm looking for the clan name. You've done most of the work though.

Oh, well then it's pretty obvious (if you know about Japanese history/culture).

Spoiler :
It's the Maeda clan, isn't it? Most likely Maeda Toshiie? A yari-wielder, replacing the Pikeman?

Oh, well then it's pretty obvious (if you know about Japanese history/culture).

Spoiler :
It's the Maeda clan, isn't it? Most likely Maeda Toshiie? A yari-wielder, replacing the Pikeman?

Correct! Yeah, it's the Maeda. And yes, the leader will probably be Toshiie (although it could be his son). The only other notable faction in that area was Ikko-ikki, and I've already released them.

On the other hand, I haven't got any ideas for uniques yet. This is the first time I've heard about any Maeda connections with yari in particular, but that might be useful. Other than that, it's probably going to be a gold-centric civ, seeing as I'm pretty sure the UA will revolve around Hyakumangoku (maybe +1 gold from each farm? is that OP?). Maybe some sort of craftwork-based UB?

Any ideas would be much appreciated...

On the other hand, I haven't got any ideas for uniques yet. This is the first time I've heard about any Maeda connections with yari in particular, but that might be useful.

The Maeda aren't particularly connected with the yari, but it was Toshiie's favored weapon. They didn't call him Yari no Mataza for nothing!

The Maeda aren't particularly connected with the yari, but it was Toshiie's favored weapon. They didn't call him Yari no Mataza for nothing!

Thanks, any more Maeda stuff will be appreciated. I was thinking of maybe having an Ashigaru UU (essentially the same as the old Landsknecht)...

Thanks, any more Maeda stuff will be appreciated. I was thinking of maybe having an Ashigaru UU (essentially the same as the old Landsknecht)...

Ashigaru would work, although they're not necessarily Maeda and not necessarily yari-using, they work nonetheless. Also, the naginata, another common ashigaru weapon, are pretty much pikes as well.

An idea I had for the UT was the "uniquely named" Yari no Mataza, which would give a combat bonus to spear-wielders (i.e. Spearmen, Pikemen, Lancers), which would work wonders against mounted units. It might be hard to code, though, as Pikemen and Lancers are coded as melee and mounted units (respectively) as opposed to their own unit names.

Ashigaru would work, although they're not necessarily Maeda and not necessarily yari-using, they work nonetheless. Also, the naginata, another common ashigaru weapon, are pretty much pikes as well..

I know both of those things, but ashigaru did use yari at least some of the time, and large numbers of them were key to Oda battle tactics (Toshiie, remember, rose to fame under Oda Nobunaga)

An idea I had for the UT was the "uniquely named" Yari no Mataza, which would give a combat bonus to spear-wielders (i.e. Spearmen, Pikemen, Lancers), which would work wonders against mounted units. It might be hard to code, though, as Pikemen and Lancers are coded as melee and mounted units (respectively) as opposed to their own unit names.

Good idea... but I was thinking of having Maeda nearer the peaceful end of the spectrum, but still leave them with a viable path to conquest victory. Hence my UA suggestion:

Kaga Hyakumangoku - (+1 gold from farms, +1 culture from farms after economics.

I know both of those things, but ashigaru did use yari at least some of the time, and large numbers of them were key to Oda battle tactics (Toshiie, remember, rose to fame under Oda Nobunaga)

Of course, and when worded like that, it just seems... right. Maybe they could be a sort of zerg rush enemy, fairly weak (maybe 14 CS, as opposed to the Spearman's 11 and the Pikeman's 16) compared to the average pikeman, but requiring a lot less production, allowing massive armies of weak troops

Good idea... but I was thinking of having Maeda nearer the peaceful end of the spectrum, but still leave them with a viable path to conquest victory. Hence my UA suggestion:

Kaga Hyakumangoku - (+1 gold from farms, +1 culture from farms after economics.

I can see that as a viable option, however the Kaga Hyakumangoku symbolized prosperity, so I was thinking:

Kaga Hyakumangoku - (+1 gold and food from farms)

Maybe the culture aspect as well, if you think it'd be balanced.

Of course, and when worded like that, it just seems... right. Maybe they could be a sort of zerg rush enemy, fairly weak (maybe 14 CS, as opposed to the Spearman's 11 and the Pikeman's 16) compared to the average pikeman, but requiring a lot less production, allowing massive armies of weak troops

I can see that as a viable option, however the Kaga Hyakumangoku symbolized prosperity, so I was thinking:

Kaga Hyakumangoku - (+1 gold and food from farms)

Maybe the culture aspect as well, if you think it'd be balanced.

I like your idea for the Ashigaru, although I've never heard of a "zerg rush" before. The idea of massive armies of weak troops, as you put it, sounds a lot like historical ashigaru.

As for Kaga Hyakumangoku, is the UA you suggested balanced? It seems fairly OP to me. If it really is balanced, then I will definitely consider it.

Now I just need to think about that second unique...

I like your idea for the Ashigaru, although I've never heard of a "zerg rush" before. The idea of massive armies of weak troops, as you put it, sounds a lot like historical ashigaru.

"Zerg Rush is an online gaming term used to describe an overwhelming scale of attack carried out by one player against another in real time strategy (RTS) games. The term originates from the popular RTS game Starcraft, in which the “Zerg” race is notoriously known for its ability to mass-produce offensive units within a short time frame, thus allowing the player to overpower the opponent by sheer number."

tl;dr, it's winning just by having a massive army. Although unit maintenance may be a problem in civ.

"Zerg Rush is an online gaming term used to describe an overwhelming scale of attack carried out by one player against another in real time strategy (RTS) games. The term originates from the popular RTS game Starcraft, in which the “Zerg” race is notoriously known for its ability to mass-produce offensive units within a short time frame, thus allowing the player to overpower the opponent by sheer number."

tl;dr, it's winning just by having a massive army. Although unit maintenance may be a problem in civ.

Thanks, it sounded Starcraft-ish but I wasn't so sure. Good phrase to know though.

The coding for Maeda is almost done, expect it sometime this coming week...

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The coding for Maeda is almost done, expect it sometime this coming week...

Aww yeah! The best bit, of course, is majority of people have no idea what the screenshots are of!

And... Maeda is released! (Both the CivFanatics and Steam links have been updated, as ever I recommend using the former)

Sixteen down and countless more to go. I wonder who should be next... Are there even any more holes in the map to fill?

I've been having some more thoughts about the concept of a Rising Sun scenario. This is essentially a sketch I did in World Builder:

As you can see, western Japan seems to be balanced, whereas eastern Japan has problems. And that's AFTER I guillotined part of Honshu off in a desperate attempt to stop Date being OP. Yes, it's completely history-defying, but this is Civ after all.

As you can see, the few western gaps were filled in with possible city states: Funai (Otomo clan), Izumo (Amako clan), and Kyoto. Toyotomi had to be moved to Himeji to fit Ikko-ikki in, which is pretty annoying considering all three of his uniques are Osaka-related.

There's a huge hole in eastern Japan, roughly comprising the former provinces of Hitachi, Kozuke, Shimotsuke, northern Shinano, and the Aizu region of Mutsu (or alternatively, Gunma, Tochigi, Ibaraki, Fukushima, and northern Nagano prefectures). The problem with this gap is that no clan of note ever came from those areas. Satake? Utsunomiya? They seem pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. How the jigoku do I stop the gap from giving some civs an advantage?

Hey Homusubi - I'm playing a game right now as the Ayyubid and I ran across Oda Nobunaga of Chubu from your mod. It looks really good! I just noticed one problem though: while the yellow-and-black icon is correct on the diplomacy screen and scoreboard, he still has the usual white-and-red color scheme for his units and cities. Hopefully that's a useful bug report!

Edit: I also noticed that West Kyushu has the Dutch leaderhead and Spain's icon/color-scheme.

So I did a little digging and found this mon for the Konishi:

I can make an icon out of it for you if you'd like. What colors would work?

Also, I found some art of him from other games. Obviously not enough for a full leaderhead, but maybe something to start with?

I don't mean to bump this, but I have to ask. For some reason I cannot upgrade any of Akechi's UU's into their respective units. Is this a bug or do I have a faulty installation?

Top Bottom