The Forgotten: The Other Civilizations (BNW)

Is a Pechin like a Nunchaku-using soldier?

P.S. Gusuku is the Japanese word. Ryukyuans say Gushiku (when nobody's listening)

I haven't heard of them. If they are that "generic", then surely it would be a better idea to reference either the Ryukyuan unarmed combat techniques that saw them through the Shimazu weaponry ban (and later evolved, or devolved depending on how you see it, into karate), or the baffling assortment of weaponry that was not seen outside of Ryukyu.

Also, what are you thinking concerning Ryukyu's UA?

Edit: Did a few seconds' worth of background research on surku archers, looks like that's what I had in mind when I came up with the Japanese term "dokuyumi" for my Ainu UU. Well done for finding the Ainu word!

I haven't heard of them. If they are that "generic", then surely it would be a better idea to reference either the Ryukyuan unarmed combat techniques that saw them through the Shimazu weaponry ban (and later evolved, or devolved depending on how you see it, into karate), or the baffling assortment of weaponry that was not seen outside of Ryukyu.

Also, what are you thinking concerning Ryukyu's UA?

Edit: Did a few seconds' worth of background research on surku archers, looks like that's what I had in mind when I came up with the Japanese term "dokuyumi" for my Ainu UU. Well done for finding the Ainu word!

For the Ryukyu UA I'm going with a trade focus like you suggested. Free harbours will be one part of the UA but I still need another component to the trait to make it distinct from Carthage. I was looking at the Scramble for Africa scenario and one of the civs has a trait that increases the gold bonus for harbours, so given what the XML looks like I might adapt that into their UA.

Oh, I got the Surku Archer from the version of the Ainu in CivGold (for civ4), haha. That old mod is an excellent resource.

I would advise against using free harbours. Ryukyu was known for trade outside of its borders, whereas harbours in Civ mainly deal with trade within a civ's borders. BNW has added loads of trade-based stuff. If you can't find what you want in the traits XML then I can teach you how to make a shadow building if you want.

I advise doing something concerning international trade routes.

I advise doing something concerning international trade routes.

How about this,instead of having to trade food and production separately they can do both at once.
If that is too OP,it should give less food and production than a regular route.

For Example:
#1 +4 Food
#2 +4 Production
#3 +2Food and +2Production.

Edit:Never mind,I thought that you said Internal Trade routes.

I said international trade routes. That idea concerns domestic ones.

Stecak:
Spoiler :

Newer version

Krstjan:
Spoiler :

A version without the house in the background...(I'm an idiot)

An updated Bosnia Map(I replaced Vrhbosna with Bobovac as the capital,historically it's more accurate).
Spoiler :

Tvrtko Kotromanic (First time making a leader screen and icons...)
Spoiler :

I'm not really sure about the UA now.It has to be something like:If you have a Missionary of your religion stationed in a city it gets more hit points and produces Culture (or maybe even Faith?) per turn.

First time making these icons,so any advice is welcome.

The starburst backgrounds on the icons are a bit too opaque and shouldn't always be centred. How about aligning the starburst backgrounds with Krstjan and Tvrtko's heads, along with the carved head on the Stecak statue? Just a thought.

Now what exactly did you need the art for? Everything here?
I'd be glad to make a map or two (ever since I found out a new way of making a papery texture in GIMP) and the don't take terrible long to make, but they do end up with a lot less embellishment than, say, TPangolin's or sukritact's. (So about the same or slightly less than COF's)

Stecak:
Spoiler :

Newer version

Krstjan:
Spoiler :

A version without the house in the background...(I'm an idiot)

An updated Bosnia Map(I replaced Vrhbosna with Bobovac as the capital,historically it's more accurate).
Spoiler :

Tvrtko Kotromanic (First time making a leader screen and icons...)
Spoiler :

I'm not really sure about the UA now.It has to be something like:If you have a Missionary of your religion stationed in a city it gets more hit points and produces Culture (or maybe even Faith?) per turn.

First time making these icons,so any advice is welcome.

Great stuff! That certainly bumps Bosnia up in the list of civs to be made! I'll get to work on the XML soonish.

Anyone know how to implement the UA that COF suggested? I believe it was a combat bonus against civs following a foreign religion.

Also, if anyone is interested in making some art I'm pretty keen on stuff for the Celtic civs! Info on the uniques and such is in my earlier post.

Granted, I don't know very much about Ryukyu and its history beyond what I've read on Wikipedia, but is Sho Hashi really a better choice than Sho Shin?

Sho Hashi is marginally better known. Although Sho Shin (and Sho Tai) are also eligible, Sho Hashi, as unifier of Ryukyu, gets my vote. In the same way, when I made the Shimazu civilisation, although the obvious choices of leader were Takahisa, Yoshihisa and Yoshihiro, but I went for Nariakira, who was a more politically successful leader (and one that fit the UA etc. better, and one that is regarded in higher esteem in Kagoshima today).

I think that,art wise,the only thing Bosnia is missing now is the icon for the Krstjan (the one that is over the unit on the map). If anyone knows the size in which the icon need to be I'd be grateful if they told me,I was thinking of using the Gnosticism cross.

As far the Stecak is concerned it would probably be better if it was a Monument replacement,since that is what they are in the first place.

I think that I'll work on the Wales stuff after that.

Anyone know how to implement the UA that COF suggested? I believe it was a combat bonus against civs following a foreign religion.
I believe that LastSword uses something similar in his Jerusalem mod.

I think that,art wise,the only thing Bosnia is missing now is the icon for the Krstjan (the one that is over the unit on the map). If anyone knows the size in which the icon need to be I'd be grateful if they told me,I was thinking of using the Gnosticism cross.

As far the Stecak is concerned it would probably be better if it was a Monument replacement,since that is what they are in the first place.

I think that I'll work on the Wales stuff after that.

I believe that LastSword uses something similar in his Jerusalem mod.

I've come up with a pretty good XML based UA:

Combat units receive a 20% combat bonus in friendly territory. Free Great General appears upon researching Theology.

Edit: Uploaded new versions of Sibir and the Uyghurs, nerfing the Yaranga and Grape Arbor.

Combat units receive a 20% combat bonus in friendly territory. Free Great General appears upon researching Theology.

Sorry,can't say I'm a fan of that UA.
Friendly territory combat bonuses are really generic and boring,and the great general doesn't really put much emphasis on the resistance of the Bosnian heretic church.

In the end maybe something like this could have a similar but more unique effect.
UA:Missionaries stationed in Cities provide experience to new units in that City.

Sorry,can't say I'm a fan of that UA.
Friendly territory combat bonuses are really generic and boring,and the great general doesn't really put much emphasis on the resistance of the Bosnian heretic church.

In the end maybe something like this could have a similar but more unique effect.
UA:Missionaries stationed in Cities provide experience to new units in that City.

You make a fair point there. I'm going to ask around the forum to see how to make it work!

In other news I had a crack at recolouring the Bosnia icon. Gimp wouldn't open the psd file properly but I was able to come up with this:

You make a fair point there. I'm going to ask around the forum to see how to make it work!

In other news I had a crack at recolouring the Bosnia icon. Gimp wouldn't open the psd file properly but I was able to come up with this:

Hmmm...tbh the quality isn't really that great.
Can you tell me the color hex code thing so I can edit it in photoshop,it'll probably look slightly better.

Does all this mean that the next civ you'll release is Bosnia?

P.S. The icon size you need for unit alpha icons is 32.

Top Bottom