Civ4 PitBoss Available

I'm unable to connect to my pitboss server even inside my own house by direct ip. I used whatismyip.com to find out what ip to connect to (right?) and it times out. Is there some error in here that is fatal?

culdeus said:
I'm unable to connect to my pitboss server even inside my own house by direct ip. I used whatismyip.com to find out what ip to connect to (right?) and it times out. Is there some error in here that is fatal?

Most of the time you cannot connect to your external IP from behind your own NAT. To try to connect to it from inside your NAT, use the internal IP address. If you're running the server on the same machine you're trying to connect to it from, put "localhost" as the IP address.

Have you opened up in your router so connections can be made from the outside and route that traffic to the machine running pitboss?
Also some routers dont allow you to connect to the external IP from the inside of the network.

From the same network you should be able to connect using the IP address on local network.

OverloadUT said:
Most of the time you cannot connect to your external IP from behind your own NAT. To try to connect to it from inside your NAT, use the internal IP address. If you're running the server on the same machine you're trying to connect to it from, put "localhost" as the IP address.

This will be the issue - if you are within your network you need to connect to the internal ip address. Also try connecting on the pc by running civ iv on that machine when pitboss is running. IP of 127.0.0.1 will work.

People outside your network should use the internet ip address - but only if you have port forwarded port 2056.

Tals

culdeus said:
Ok, I'll try that. I started an internet game and I was able to connect that way. Is it faster on internet or direct ip? Has anyone tested loading times?

It won't be any different - although an internet game do you need to login to connect? And if so it will be slower with all the rubbish that entails.

tals said:
Ok this one is out of interest - I installed .net 1.1 to try out the email notifier - was having different issues with that which the author was kindly assisting. However pitboss would not then restart - kept failing at stage 6 (XML). I have now uninstalled .net 1.1 and all is ok. Anyone any thoughts this pc is windows 98 se

Tals

Just to clarify - is anyone running pitboss on windows 98 se and if so have they installed .NET 1.1 and if so did it then not load (i.e stop it and start it again. I find it fails on stage 6 with an application fault. Uninstalling .NET resolves the issue.

I would like to install SCREE's app but can't because of this. It would be useful to know if .NET+WIndows 98+Pitboss = problem, as I only knew that .NET was the issue because I had installed .NET after a sucesfull pitboss install. If I hadn't I would never have understood why pitboss was not running.

Tals

Ok got my hotseat server up and running on the internet mode. Pretty sweet and runs just as fast as off gamespy. Some questions before I get into serious games.

Are the following possible?

1. Having a 4 civ map with 8 players. i.e. you could have each civ run by two people both to speed up play and to sort of gameplan as a pair? Is there some sort of setting in pitboss to make this happen?

2. We had the option of "saving" the game on my game computer and on the hotseat computer. Why would I want to save it on my game computer? Can you email those games back to the hotseat pc in case of server crash as a backup? This would be good to know for games in Texas in the spring.

3. What happens if the AI takes over. Can humans take it back over later? I'm sure this is covered somewhere in this board and I could easily test it, but someone has to know right off.

4. Succession games? Feasable on hotseat? Sure would save posting save files everywhere.

5. I'm assuming only one hotseat game at a time per server?

Is it possible to limit the turn timer (medium, fast, blazing, etc)? I tried and it was the worst problem for me (coz we must limit slow players, hehehe).

If not, thank you anyway. The program is great!

Arthur

arthur_rodrigue said:
Is it possible to limit the turn timer (medium, fast, blazing, etc)? I tried and it was the worst problem for me (coz we must limit slow players, hehehe).

If not, thank you anyway. The program is great!

Arthur

I'm not sure I understand :( At the moment the turn timer is running slow - but that is a bug it should be running at the correct time :)

Tals

culdeus said:
Ok got my hotseat server up and running on the internet mode. Pretty sweet and runs just as fast as off gamespy. Some questions before I get into serious games.

Are the following possible?

1. Having a 4 civ map with 8 players. i.e. you could have each civ run by two people both to speed up play and to sort of gameplan as a pair? Is there some sort of setting in pitboss to make this happen?

2. We had the option of "saving" the game on my game computer and on the hotseat computer. Why would I want to save it on my game computer? Can you email those games back to the hotseat pc in case of server crash as a backup? This would be good to know for games in Texas in the spring.

3. What happens if the AI takes over. Can humans take it back over later? I'm sure this is covered somewhere in this board and I could easily test it, but someone has to know right off.

4. Succession games? Feasable on hotseat? Sure would save posting save files everywhere.

5. I'm assuming only one hotseat game at a time per server?

This thread is really dedicated to all that is pitboss :) I would suggest starting a new thread re the hotseat aspect.

Tals

culdeus said:
Ok, I'll try that. I started an internet game and I was able to connect that way. Is it faster on internet or direct ip? Has anyone tested loading times?

I have found that direct connect is much more stable. We were playing through game spy and had a lot of disconnects. We have had a single on since we have started using direct. Exept when my brother in laws kid unplugged his computer but that doesn't count.

cmonster

Is there a way to change the game timer after a game has actually started? I really don't want to start our game over, however I wish we could change the timer on the game from 12 hours to 6 or 4. Any thoughts?

Also, how many players can actually connect to a Pitboss game at once. I notice when I have 2 people logged in, I just get the looping effect on login when I try, then goes back to the login. It doesn't give me the typical timeout that comes with firewall issues.. I can type an incorrect password and it will tell me that the pw is wrong, so I know the server sees me, and besides its in my network to boot. So anyone see more than 2 people at once logged into a pitboss? Do I need more ports open or a setting to increase it?

Firearm said:
Is there a way to change the game timer after a game has actually started? I really don't want to start our game over, however I wish we could change the timer on the game from 12 hours to 6 or 4. Any thoughts?

You can't change the turn timer after you create the game. If you set the timer to anything less than 12 hours, how do you expect people who go to school and work to take their turns?

Firearm said:
So anyone see more than 2 people at once logged into a pitboss?

The most players I've had logged into my PB game at once was 3 and no one ever complained about not being able to get into the game.

Just started trying to get pitboss to work and have the problem that the second player who trys to connect to pitboss never connects. Am I missing somthing about how this works? I've opened 2056 to point to pitboss and the a single player can connect to the server from either inside (using local IP) or outside (using Internet IP) of the router but both cannot connect at the same time.

Any thoughts on how to debug this?

verdin77 said:
Just started trying to get pitboss to work and have the problem that the second player who trys to connect to pitboss never connects. Am I missing somthing about how this works? I've opened 2056 to point to pitboss and the a single player can connect to the server from either inside (using local IP) or outside (using Internet IP) of the router but both cannot connect at the same time.

In my router, I have a virtual server for Civ IV with 2056 assigned as a private and public port with TCP and UDP protocol (according to Firaxis, only UDP is required, but I couldn't connect from an external IP after I changed it to UPD only). What's the downside of having both protocols assigned to it?

I also open port 2056 in my router's firewall.

verdin77 said:

I'm not sure atm what the problem is, but I can recreate that test on my LAN as well, if I get the same issue, I'll be sure to bring it to the dev's attention, and provide them with the logs as required.

CS

Thanks CanuckSoldier, would love to know of your results. I had 2 people logged into mine, but I could not get in until one of the logged, and im inside my network.

Is it possible to run a PitBoss server on one machine behind a firewall and have someone connect via Internert and have a player internally to the server connect using the private IP address from a different machine?

We seem to be having NAT issues. Only one player can connect to the server hosted game successfully. The other player hangs on "Contacting Peers" and is unable to join the game even though the server connection is successful. I believe this is because both players internally are trying to use 2056 UDP.

Is this supposed to be a viable hosting scenario and does anyone have any recommendations? We'd like to use DirectIP and avoid having to use the Internet lobby to middle-man the connection.

Firearm said:
Thanks CanuckSoldier, would love to know of your results. I had 2 people logged into mine, but I could not get in until one of the logged, and im inside my network.

I've noticed something similar as well - just not been able to drill down into it. I'm not sure whether it gets better after the initial game start up (or whether we're just not having multiple people connected at the same time now) but certainly the two games I played had issues in the first turn.

Tals

Top Bottom