Legends of Citana: The First Era

The Doors to the Marble Throne were barred again, the guards on alert. Since the return of Baethor and the survivors of his group of Silent the whole town was in an uproar, enemies were crawling out of the dirt, giant, bloodthirsty ants.

"I need you to put Timmor in charge of the Academy, you know he's capable of handling the post."

"Yes, sir," Baethor responds, "What do you need from me."

"We must prepare the defenses of the city. I heard about your work near the Ziggurats. We will need you to defend our walls."

Baethor has a stunned look on his face until Thal Modan explains, "They call them 'Silent' but if you give them a pen and paper they are glad to tell a tale. I daresay that the Silent are in a unique position to find my requests… persuasive.

"But I want to speak about your work with these men, you have done well to enlist them at the Academy again, your actions at the Ziggurat seems to imply that they can be still be… more useful than I had imagined. Have you spoken with Sotha?"

Sotha remains in the Dungeon, apparently he had lead the camp, he had made the decisions, he had set the ransom and sent out notice to Baethor back when their plot… unfolded and crumbled.

"Yes, milord. I've spoken to him, but he is… nonresponsive. I spend more time with the guards worried that he is trying to concoct the salve of regeneration, some sort of balm powerful enough to regrow a lost limb. I've looked into it, we don't need to worry."

"Ridiculous legend, is what it is, but can it be useful? Can we send him on a wild goose chase if we give him a galley? Send him with a Novice loyal to our cause, to make contact with other nations who may have encountered the ants, or, Gods forbid, a place we might retreat to if we cannot hold the city."

Baethor frowns, "But why send a traitor to do this work? I can go and accomplish all of this for you."

Thal Modan shakes his head, "Baethor, I need a very intelligent, and powerful man to represent my interests here. The apprentice and the guards on the ship will keep an eye on him, and as long as he remains on the search for the ingredients to his salve, he will keep exploring, and opening up doors that our simple Novice could not do on his own. Baethor, you would do this job very well."

The Court Mage's chest swells with pride as the High Lord continues.

"But I also need this man to be expendable, and you, Baethor, are no longer expendable. I need you to prepare our defenses, and perhaps… our offense. But first I need you to speak to Sotha, and I need you to convince him to provide us with a backup plan."

-

The guard grumbles as Baethor pushes his way into the cell, "Traitors shouldn't have visitors," but the Court Mage delivers a frozen glare that silences the man.

"Sotha, Sotha Sotha, how have things been for you down here?"

A note, I heard about Nerav, I'm sorry, I understood that you were friends.

"That overstates our relationship, but I appreciate your condolences. We lost a lot of good men at those Zigurrats. No, Sotha, I came here to talk about your salve of regeneration."

What?

"Sotha, we know who the mules are, we know what you've been asking about, we read your notes Sotha, your men aren't as tidy as you are. We know what you've been looking for and who do you think they ask about the ingredients you've been trying to obtain?"

I don't know what you're talking about.

"Well, that's upsetting, because I know what you are doing wrong. In fact, are you familiar with the legend? The brave warrior who rose against the tyranny of a summoner king. The warrior slayed the tyrant, but according to legend this warrior's arm was cut off during the battle.

"When the king was dead immediately though, a summoner king from a nearby region appeared, sensing the absence. He thanked the warrior dearly and gave him a salve which, when applied to his wound, allowed him to regain his arm. The warrior was whole again and all seemed well until this grateful neighboring ruler invaded, took over the lands of his now dead rival and oppressed the population even more thoroughly than the original summoner king."

I admit, I'm familiar with the tale.

"Which is why I have messengers from the prison asking me if beach sand could be used to concoct such a potion. But I have things that you do not, I have the whole library of the Academy at my disposal Sotha, and I have done my research."

And?

"If you really aren't interested in it then it would be pointless to tell you. There are many Silent who have proven their loyalty to Sommerset. When the High Lord asked me to share my research with you I thought he had quite lost his mind. You are a dangerous traitor, Sotha, and if you weren't before you came here, well, how many of your lieutenants have you seen march off to the gallows? But, I suppose, the only thing that is really important is, how loyal are you to those men still?"

I'll admit, I've done some research, I've been trying to gather what I will need. What are you planning to do to my men?

"Sotha, I'm not here to threaten you. That's the torturer's job. I'm here to offer you an opportunity. You want your voice to be heard again, but will you share your salve with the other Silent? That is the question. If we could restore voice to the silent Sotha, we could be quite influential."

I… underestimated you Baethor… what have you learned about the salve?

"You have been seeking out local ingredients. Things that grow in Sommerset. Has it never occurred to you to ask yourself if this is truly a legend of Sommerset? Yes, there is talk of Summoner Kings that seems to place it here, but there is no historic record of events anything like this legend. In fact, according to the Library at the Academy there is no record of this legend until after the council of Alinor, after the rule of the Summoner Kings, when the city was established as a center of study, and it coincides strangely with another myth of the time. The story of the Not-Elves, shipwreck survivors who came to this land and adopted the customs of elves before the Dawn of the High Lords. In fact, I have multiple sources that claim that the Legend of the Salve you seek is a legend of the Not Elves, which means that you will never find the ingredients you need here."

Why would Thal Modan allow you to tell me this?

"We are in dire straits, Sotha, it is a turbulent time and no one knows what may happen tomorrow, ants may destroy the city, traitors may be forgiven, alliances may be forged, and policies may be… changed. We can be the saviors of Sommerset, Sotha, mages may rule this land again. But you are the only man who can figure out this legend, we need you to seek out new lands, and find the truth of the Legend of the Not-Elves. Bring back men who know the ways of these ants, or salves that can restore the tongues of the silent, and we will have the eternal gratitude of the city. Your position can be restored, higher still."

Sotha knew it was a trap, he could tell that he was being used, and he wondered if the prison of an exploration galley would be much better than the dungeon.

But it couldn't get much worse, so Sotha handed him a note that said, We are agreed.

Baethor smiled, perhaps he wasn't the strongest Mage in the land, but he was a Court Mage for his time… Thal Modan would be proud to see him convince an expendable fool to chase his fantasies on the chance that it would help the Marble Throne or at least avoid making Sotha a martyr.

Now, Baethor thought, the only thing left is to convince some poor apprentice to accompany Sotha on this suicide mission.

Ha, Not-Elves, if he can find someone fool enough to believe in Not-Elves he will have found his apprentice.

Tales from the Lands of Winter Fay: Part 2: The Beating Heart and the Raven Carcass

Sven, who was called Whitemane or Prince Regent or Commander strode through the cheering serfs, his aura of noble glamour parting the crowd of sword and spear-waving militia, like a ship through a sea. Though to them he might appear as a shimmering god of gold and silver, his noble fay blood easily pierced their glamour and he saw them for what they were, low-born serfs, many of them fishermen or hunters, who had flocked to the warrior’s banner in hopes of riches and stable pay, their furs dirty, often bloody, their eyes, though wide with victory, sunken and tired from many nights hunting.

The lowborn warriors were gathered around a fallen foe, its crimson red blood spreading across thin snow. The prince sneered. Like many Vanir, he held fay blood, and Vanir bood in particular, gold, red and sparkling, sacred. The plain crimson blood of humans and other name-givers he found vile or lowly and a brief grimace of distaste quickly crossed his features as he looked upon the creature. One of the serfs had slain the creature, which took the form of a tall half-man, half-wolf hybrid by opening its throat with a broadsword and its head now hung at an odd angle. A Desir acolyte, her glamour thick and flickering wide like so much moon-light upon the snow kneeled by the creature, holding her ear to its mouth and mouthing powerful incantations taught to her order by the dead goddess.

Suddenly there was a sort of gurgling sound from the creature and despite the fatal wound to its jugular, it lunged for the witch and, like one of the traps the serfs used to catch bears snapping shut, it bit into her face. With a sudden tug, it wrenched skin, muscle and tendon from bone. Despite the unexpected ferocity of the creature thought dead, Sven acted quickly, drawing upon instincts formed during several decades of hunting and war, plunging a spear deep into the creatures chest, parting its ribs, and sinking the point into its heart. The Desir witch fell back, her screams of agony quickly overcome by the merciful silence of shock and death. The creature lay limp again and the prince leaned hard on the spear, feeling it slide through its dorsal ribs and into the hard cold ground. He motioned for his herald to call for another of the Desir witches to come.

In only a few short moments the crowd parted again and this time a young blond-haired Vanir, her glamour lesser to the last acolyte who had died so recently, entered the clear space around the creature. She had known what she was being called for and in one thin hand held the carcass of a raven, its feathers ruffled and dirty from long travel in a saddle-bag. The young witch glanced, open-mouthed at her sister acolyte who lay twitching spasmodically in the snow nearby, her entire face a gruesome image of horror and violence, her bloody distorted tongue protruding from open wounds where only minutes earlier winter’s touch had bloomed on delicate youthful skin.

Still leaning upon the spear, the prince felt a strange stirring within the weapon, a sort of shudder, then through the length of the weapon the ‘thump, thump’ of the creatures heart could be felt, dim but rhythmic and gaining strength rapidly. Lest this acolyte witch join her sister, the prince raised the weapon and speared it again, again cleaving clean through the creature, feeling the creature’s beating heart cease once more, “Quickly now witch, lest it does to though what it did to thine coven-sister.”

The young Desir acolyte leaned close to the creatures maw, more careful than her sister had been and quickly spoke words of power while waving the raven’s shrunken and stinking carcass over its face. As she spoke the creature seemed to deflate somewhat, a final stale breath escaping from a bloody maw that still clung to the face of the first witch. As it did, the raven stirred, one shriveled claw clenching and unclenching spasmodically. The acolyte smiled and stood, ignoring the wolf-creature completely now. She smiled at the prince, a sort of pride evident in her face, “My liege, we have what we have come for.”

The crowd of serf warriors began to disperse, sensing that the creature would not strike again and as they did, Sven bent low, drawing his skinning knife. The high coven had asked that he bring them the creature’s pelt as payment and this he would do himself.

Good stories to allya'll, and this is your friendly 48 hour warning for getting those orders in for the update.

Working on them now EQ.

Tales from the Lands of Winter Fay: Part 3: Hall of the King Returned

The Vanir were slow to age, and indeed Prince Sven, who was called the Whitemane, or Prince Reagent, or Commander, depending on who was speaking, wore his two century and one score years with the light-stepping grace of youth. But as Sven walked side by side with his father, who was called Hermóðr, or King, or The Hanged One, or He Who Has Returned From Death, or The Hangadrott, he could not help but notice that in appearance, his years were beginning to overtake those of his father. The king had not aged since his return from beyond the death’s curtain and except for the hanging scars left upon his neck, there was no indication of his great ordeal.

Sven had returned from the cave of the Desir’s high coven after speaking with the witches there. He had watched as they called upon the spirit trapped by the Desir acolyte from the corpse of the dying wolf-creature and had learned much regarding its rage and a man they spoke of with the most wicked curses who went by the name of Emperor Vral. The dead generally, and this raging spirit, who was caught by some sort of mysterious curse, in particular, were often difficult to speak with or make sense of, the Desir had said and so there was relatively little they could tell him otherwise. Now he was sharing these details with his father as they walked along the wooden ramparts of the walls of Éljúðnir. They spoke not only of the attacks of the wolf-men but of more day-to-day affairs. The king’s visit to the other side made it much easier for him to keep the affairs of man and mortals in perspective and to appreciate the need for patience, or so he said; he was prone to act quickly and decisively when the mood took him. They spoke of the Jarls and the nobility, of the scouts reports and of the Hirdling training. They spoke of Ulfric, Sven’s brother, and his son, the first of the king’s grandsons and Sven’s only nephew, who was now learning to throw a spear with uncanny precision befitting his noble lineage.

As they walked, the warriors who manned the walls parted around them, shielding their eyes with their hands at the brightness of the King and Prince’s glamour. The two were so thoroughly similar in features, especially with the King’s unnatural youth, that very few who could not pierce the glamour with noble blood of their own would have been able to tell one from the other if it were not for the king’s silver crown. Both were tall men, with the width of shoulders and ease of gait of men used to hunting and war. They both had long nearly white blonde hair and shining silver and yellow eyes like those of cats and both wore polished steel hauberks, broadsword and dagger at the hip. No… as they made their way along the walls, few could tell them apart. Except for the Tuatha princess. She parted the warriors and the royal entourage with the strength of her own glamour while her own noble blood easily pierced the prince’s glamour and did much to uncover the king’s. Her name was Eochaid Indai, amd she was daughter of Lugh, champion of King Nuada, of the Tuatha Dé Danann who came from a distant island called the emerald but which was known to the Tuatha and the Vanir as Tír na nÓg. Sven thought her beautiful, a flowing creature, who like most Tuatha, were of the same height of men, but who like the Vanir, cloaked herself in glamour. The Tuatha were the ever-young and she was no exception, her age being known only to greatly exceed that of the king but her beauty to rival any of the royal court. While the Vanir had a glamour that suggested moonlight, winter and silver, hers suggested sun, spring, and gold and so too did her dress and modest smile. She strode towards the pair and with a lack of difference that Sven thought strange but which the king apparently did not, she took hold of both the king’s hands and leaned close to kiss him gently on the cheek. Turning to the prince with a smile she spoke to the king in a conspiratorial tone ripe with the musical tones of a Tuatha princess, “Have you told him yet?”

The king appeared apprehensive as he faced his oldest son, “You know that I loved your mother very much and when we cross, I will love her again. But… I have fallen for another, one with a beating heart and warm breath, who will love me in my eternal youth and for as long as my lungs draw breath and my heart beats, one with whom I can spend all my long long years with and bring me happiness and to whom I can also bring happiness. Son, I have decided to marry this Tuatha princess.”

His words were not completely unexpected. The prince had heard the rumors. His own memories of his mother were modest, fuzzy, golden-covered with the gentle fuzz of childhood recollection. He knew that his mother had been sacrificed on the alter to the dead goddess on the winter solstice of the last year of the silver comet, the greatest honor that could be awarded by the messengers and a death he and all his people were extremely proud of, and so, for most of his life, the queen had waited in the next life, sacred and distant and never really seen, at least to him, as partner to his father. He also knew that his father was a man, like him, and handsome and noble and that there had been dalliances, but nothing with any seriousness. Despite his lack of objection, he did not know what to say. Extending a hand beyond the wall, he watched a snowflake land and slowly melt in his palm before he spoke again.

This time he turned to the Tuatha princess, “Welcome to the family… Queen Eochaid Indai.”

The king beamed uncharacteristically and placed a hand gently on the stomach of his wife to be, stroking the thick ermine robes no Vanir would have need of, “Son… there is something else I must tell you,” he said with a glance at him, his wife, and at her waist where his half-brother or sister grew.

I'll have my orders in tomorrow morning, need some time to think over with them.

Baethor pulled the chair out and sat across from Timmor, "Tell me what you have, the Novices who are prepared for an Apprenticeship."

Timmor returned a confused glance, "What?"

"I need to know who has been training at the Academy. I'm the Court Wizard, you are the Headmaster, please let me know."

Timmor smiles, "Well, since you put it that way, you know Baethor, I never saw us making it here. I must commend you… I didn't know you had it in you. But I can tell you that right now I have a pretty limited list. We don't have a lot of Novices who are truly ready to be Apprentices."

"Give me the list, who is the most loyal to Sommerset?"

"Loyal…. To Sommerset… or to Thal Modan?"

"You know what I mean," Baethor replies.

"Of course I do. The Academy must be preserved and if the High Lord suspects us of treason then we will not be. But I have good news, if your loyalties lie… to the Academy."

"What do you mean?"

"I have a Novice here, in fact I've suspected him of being a spy for the High Lord. I haven't done anything about it, we always assumed they had spies about, but this little bastard. If he is really one of Thal's men then he is heavier handed than we ever expected."

"Tell me his name. If I can preserve the Academy and get everything I need to keep Sotha in line then I can clear up two headaches."

"Sotha?"

"Yes," Baethor sighs, "Thal Modan thinks that he can be useful as an… exile. But still, we need people to look after him and make sure he doesn't start any trouble. Right now, it seems that the hope is that some foreign help across the waves will help us manage the… ant problem."

"And so you need an apprentice, maybe someone who could learn under Sotha, preserve the knowledge, but also keep him in line. Someone literate and loyal, who can give his messages to foreigners who want to know?"

"Yes, but, I suppose it would be best if they were able to put up with the sort of wild legends that Sotha has been sent to 'investigate' Sotha might be talking mostly about 'Not Elves' and 'Salves of Regeneration'."

Timmor laughs, "I have just your man."

This is the final 24 hour warning for orders for the update

I have done lots of projects in my orders, might be worth you looking over them now rather than later EQ.

Tempted to do a project... maybe next update.

Orders in a half an hour.

Posting that orders were sent as I forgot to append a read receipt. Can be resent if necessary.

diD YOU get my orders?

I did receive your orders Immaculate. Same goes for Lord of Elves.

@Boundless, I'll look at your projects as I do the update.

Now, this update may take a tad longer to arrive. The pastor who officiated my wedding, and a long-time family friend was taken off of life support this morning, and we're expecting the call at some point soon. Therefore, until this matter is more or less sorted out here, I'll be doing other things predominantly with my wife. I will still be lurking and on AIM for a few hours at least, so can be contacted if any stragglers have questions relating to orders. Good job in getting them all in though. I wish that CIEN players could be like most of you *cough*crezth*cough*.

Apply any expertise that is needed for my projects please.

Go ahead and do that, EQ. Real life is more important than a NES.

Go ahead and do that, EQ. Real life is more important than a NES.

I wish someone had told me that before I quit my job, broke up with my girlfriend, and dropped out of school. :(

Well if that is the case, when are you next updating the NES you sacrificed everything for?

Top Bottom