Twillight of Byzantium

This looks like an excellent modification, and I am very interested in it since I enjoy Byzantine history. However, I have been unable to play it because of an error in the art files. When I try to open the scientific advisor window, the game comes up with an error message:

The following art file not found!

art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\JoustArenaEursmall.pcx

The game quits because of this error.

When I investigated that file directory, I indeed found that there was no 'buildings' file in the 'icons' folder. What is the problem? Has any one else had this problem?

EDIT: I have been able to play the scenario now. I did it by reverting back to the original .biq file. I suspected that when I changed the first one (eliminating the Player names under player properties), I had caused other changes in the map. In fact, it appears that unless one is very careful in altering Yoda Power's original settings, all kind of changes occur spontaneously and simultaneously. In short, the file can be corrupted.

Tank Guy - Sorry to hear, but thanks for the nice comment:)

Dhammapada - I'm not sure what went wrong, but just deleting the names, shouldn't cause any trouble. But I'm happy you made it work.

Everyone - If you are speculating when I'll finish the update, then I can tell you this: It has been on hold for two weeks or so, because of the heavy amount of school work I had to do. I don't know when exactly I'll be able to release it, but it won't be too long, I promise.

Tank_Guy#3 said:
I hate myself for uninstalling Civ3 Complete......

I can't reinstall, they won't answer my emails, and I can't play all the scenarios.....

Looks fantastic by the way!!!! :goodjob:

I have found this.

If my install goes south, i have to reformat first. Maybe this has something to do with copy protection. Uninstall does not remove everything.
The basic problem is 122 update. If the update ask "there is newer filles (.tiff), do you want to keep or replace them? If you answer yes, you got problems.

Hello. I just droped in to say that I DL this scenario some time ago, played several games and want to congratulate Yoda Power :goodjob: on creating a very nice scenario. I think that it is about time that someone made a scenario with the Byzantines in it. I am one of those people that think the Byzantine Empire is :cool: cool. But I think that descriptions are necessary bacause thay add a real flavor to the game.

I finally dled the scen :)

It looks very nice, and i ahve played almost ten turns as the byzantines.

The idea to link bulgaria and serbia with the seljuk sultanates was not perfect, but i see your point. However it should be noted that near the end of the Byzantine Empire there had been attempts for all the christian kingdoms of the region to unite against the ottomans, and possible delay in the ottomans declaring war on the other seljuks would make that impossible. Atm i have conquered two cities in epiros from the serbs, and lost two cities to the ottomans.

-Sea trade seems to be disabled; why so? (unless the building that allows it is not available yet)

-The Byzantine empire starts at war with the principality of Corinth and the Dutchy of Athens, principality of Cephalonia (in your scen those are united as latin duches). This too can become destabilising, particularly since those duchies are united unlike what they were.

-The varangian guard was not around after 1204 (at least not in any significant number of units and formations, and definately not as the strong guard of Constantinople)

-Philadelphia should have been more fortified/guarded; it was a lot more difficult to be conquered

-While i see why you have the ottomans in locked war against the Byzantine Empire, this was not at all the case. Infact the spread of Serbia in the lower balcans under Steven Dusan caused the Byzantines to bring the Ottomans into the conflict, so that they could utilise more troops against the serbs.

All in all the scenario looks fun to play :)

varwnos said:
-Sea trade seems to be disabled; why so? (unless the building that allows it is not available yet)

For some reason the "Port" city improvement enables sea trade, not the "Harbor". I found this out the hard way :)

Thanks to RedwallFortress for enjoying my scenario:)

varwnos said:
I finally dled the scen :)

It looks very nice, and i ahve played almost ten turns as the byzantines.

The idea to link bulgaria and serbia with the seljuk sultanates was not perfect, but i see your point. However it should be noted that near the end of the Byzantine Empire there had been attempts for all the christian kingdoms of the region to unite against the ottomans, and possible delay in the ottomans declaring war on the other seljuks would make that impossible.
I know, but gameplay>accuracy.

The Port building allows trade. However remember that the Byzantines won't be able to trade with a lot of civs, because their enemies are blocking their sea traderoutes in the begining of the game.

-The Byzantine empire starts at war with the principality of Corinth and the Dutchy of Athens, principality of Cephalonia (in your scen those are united as latin duches). This too can become destabilising, particularly since those duchies are united unlike what they were.
Again, I know. However if I split them, they would be become too weak to actually make any resistance.

-The varangian guard was not around after 1204 (at least not in any significant number of units and formations, and definately not as the strong guard of Constantinople)
I know this too. My only reason for including them was because they are so fun. Yes I really am a horror to any historian, but to be fair, you only get 3 of them, so sooner or later they usually die anyway. :p

-Philadelphia should have been more fortified/guarded; it was a lot more difficult to be conquered
I'll add that to my list.

-While i see why you have the ottomans in locked war against the Byzantine Empire, this was not at all the case. Infact the spread of Serbia in the lower balcans under Steven Dusan caused the Byzantines to bring the Ottomans into the conflict, so that they could utilise more troops against the serbs.
Well it was needed for ... guess what? Gameplay reasons! ;)

All in all the scenario looks fun to play :)
Thanks again.

I'm sorry I just ignored your comments like that, but it really are some points I already took into considderation when I began the scenario. So far I just hoped noone would make any comments about the Varangian Guard. ;)

BTW Mesodius: It should state so in the civilipedia?

Yoda Power said:
BTW Mesodius: It should state so in the civilipedia?

It does. But like varwnos, I was too lazy to read it before playing so I found out by building one and having nothing happen. :lol:

very nice,

looking forward to the new release btw ;-)

great job so far!!!

Nice to hear that a new release is not :) far in future. I will be gladly DL when it come's by.

It's actually ready now. But I just want to have one more test game to ensure that their are no bugs, so you are gonna wait a week more.

Can you give a list of changes then instead?
Or a change in power/gameplay for any of the civs?

Well you can see the link in my sig ofcause;). The most important change in power is that the Mamluks are somewhat weaker than before. There is also less resources (not that much though), so some civ's will have a harder time to build up their military. Ex: Genoa no longer has iron, just like Venice.

Well you can see the link in my sig ofcause;). The most important change in power is that the Mamluks are somewhat weaker than before. There is also less resources (not that much though), so some civ's will have a harder time to build up their military. Ex: Genoa no longer has iron, just like Venice.

Thank you very much!!!
although this doenst make the waiting more fun :king:

be carefull what you ask for...

Well here's something to keep you waiting ;)

I'm actually considdering adding a mercenary ship of some sort, but I still haven't thought the idea through.

My 128 mb RAM can handle it just fine

64 mb ram can handle any of the scenarios with the exception of that really popular ww2 one.

Top Bottom