BUFFY & HOF Mod Releases

I've always been a fan of HOF Mod's autolog and Buffy's is even better. I have a couple remarks about it, though:
1. When I change the autolog file name in the options menu, it seems that said change won't work until next time the game is loaded up - current session will be saved under previous autolog name. With previous HOF Mods, name changes were updated real time. As I always create a new autolog for each new game, this can be a bit awkward - is there a workaround for this?
There are a number of options with the autologger and it its been a while since I have looked at the code but you could try using the manually method to stop and (re)start the logger (Alt-L) after you have updated the file name. It might work.

2. The autolog now shows the nationality of the privateers which have engaged combat with your ships. Not sure how relevant is this info (maybe it's meaningless since there's nothing you can do about it, even friendly AI's privateers attacked me) but I thought I wouldn't have access to this info before this mod. Just wondering.
oops - this has been reported before and we haven't logged it as a bug. I'll do that now and look into fixing it for the next release.

Edit: Error logged (id 2855471)
Edit2: privateer nationality bug - fixed in revision 1923 of BUG.

Some of the Adviser Screens list at most 6 AIs before they "force" scrolling up and down via scroll controls on the right margin.

Most of the advisers use only about half the vertical space. If they used the full vertical space, at least 12 AIs (maybe as many as 17) could be listed without scrolling. Again, the actual Adviser Screen is only about half the height of the Game Screen.

I'm currently playing a game with 8 AIs. The Resource/Trading Tab shows at most 6 AIs at a time. In this case the scrolling could be avoided by just making the Adviser Screen height the same as the Game Screen (or slightly less for aesthetic reasons).

My game screen is set to 1600 x 1200 which should be a very commonly used size, since all graphics cards that are supported by Civ4 and the corresponding 19" monitors are now the norm for even low-end game systems.

Also, I thought there was a way to increase the vertical space utilized by the Adviser Screens, but I can't seem to find it now.

Sun Tzu Wu

Ok, I'm trying to install the BUG 'mod' under custom assets, so I can use it for succession games without it being a 'mod'. I think I have it working, but don't want to mess with my current G-major save until I am sure.

- first I backed up my Custom Assets folder

- I installed BUG as a single player installation, as a custom asset.

- When I tried to run the BUFFY mod it didn't quite work, so with further research, I went into the BUFFY.ini file and changed nocustomassets from 0 to 1.

Now everything seems to work. I even tried creating an illegal game (locked modified assets wasn't checked) and BUFFY did flag it as an illegal game. So now, if I want to run the BUG mod only, I just start the game. If I want to run BUFFY, I load the mod. Did I do everything right? I do NOT want my current G-major work to go down the drain :eek:.

@pholtz - that sounds right.

In this case the scrolling could be avoided by just making the Adviser Screen height the same as the Game Screen (or slightly less for aesthetic reasons).

The problem is that it's not a simple matter of changing the height of the screen. The code that lays out all the on-screen components needs to be modified to handle it. The way the original screens were coded makes this an extremely unpleasant ask, and I have limited time to devote to an ever-growing list of feature requests.

Also, I thought there was a way to increase the vertical space utilized by the Adviser Screens, but I can't seem to find it now.

The Customizable Domestic Advisor can be adjusted since that is a single-tab screen and someone else did the work for us. ;) Go to the Advisors tab of the BUG Options screen.

sigh. Like an eternal optimist I downloaded BUG mod thinking I could just play that when I wasn't playing HoF.
I used the autoinstall option but now whenever I try and load up Buffy it loads BUG instead and say something like "BugCore - mod BUFFY not initialized, removing"
and there's no BUG mod in my Mods folder for me to delete and I there's no mod to "unload" before I try loading BUFFY.

I'm banging my head against the wall here.
I'd like to
a) just get rid of BUG completely again
or
b) be able to play with the BUG mod when I want and with the BUFFY mod when I want that.

Please help me, you're my only hope. and stuff.

sigh. Like an eternal optimist I downloaded BUG mod thinking I could just play that when I wasn't playing HoF.
I used the autoinstall option but now whenever I try and load up Buffy it loads BUG instead and say something like "BugCore - mod BUFFY not initialized, removing"
and there's no BUG mod in my Mods folder for me to delete and I there's no mod to "unload" before I try loading BUFFY.

I'm banging my head against the wall here.
I'd like to
a) just get rid of BUG completely again
or
b) be able to play with the BUG mod when I want and with the BUFFY mod when I want that.

Please help me, you're my only hope. and stuff.
See the 4th FAQ in this post. You can either rename customassets or edit the BUFFY.ini file so that it ignores customassets. This is a known issue that we are working on correcting for the next release.

It sounds like you installed BUG using the Single-Player (default) option which puts it in the CustomAssets folder, interfering with BUFFY.

From your Start menu, go to Programs : BUG Mod 4.0 : Uninstall*. Check everything and uninstall BUG. Now run the installer again and choose Multi-Player installation (3rd choice). Make sure AutoStart is off, and install it.

Now BUG will be a separate mod you have to load just like BUFFY. Of course you can also use the Play shortcut in the Start menu or on the desktop if you checked those.

* If you didn't have the installer create a Start menu shortcut, go to My Games / BTS / BUG Mod and double-click Uninstall.exe.

Upon loading the last saved session of a Game, a message (CTRL-TAB) says a Civ I'm at War with "will Sign a Peace Treaty", but the Civ still refuses to talk. The message is apparently incorrect.

Sun Tzu Wu

Upon loading the last saved session of a Game, a message (CTRL-TAB) says a Civ I'm at War with "will Sign a Peace Treaty", but the Civ still refuses to talk. The message is apparently incorrect.

The message is actually correct, but the refusal to talk overrides the desire for peace/capitulation/trade. I have been testing the fix for this issue over the past month and hope to include it in the next release of BUFFY.

It shouldn't require anything more than BTS. BUFFY adds a tiny number of new graphics (all small) for the unit's on the selected plot (the stack) if you have mission tags enabled. But this a drop in the bucket compared to the BTS textures and models for the units which BUFFY doesn't change at all.

I would say that if you are using a borderline computer this difference is significant. Before BUFFY I never had crashes if I stick to Standard or smaller maps. With BUFFY, I find that if I use a stack attack with more than about 7 units, my computer will crash, regardless of era or mapsize.

Caveat: I only use stack attack when I am losing and getting very frustrated, so it hasn't been too big a problem... I take the resulting game crash as a gentle hint to forfeit the game. :lol:

Yes, Stack Attack will crash if your stack kills all the units left and moves onto the tile. I have fixed it and it will be all good in the next update.

I can't rollback to 3.17. The game crashes while starting. My goal is just to look at 3.17 games downloaded from the HoF. Did BUFFY do something to break the old mods? I can't see how.

I can't rollback to 3.17. The game crashes while starting. My goal is just to look at 3.17 games downloaded from the HoF. Did BUFFY do something to break the old mods? I can't see how.

This is a BTS issue. Once you patch to 3.19, you cannot open 3.17 games. See my other reply.

Any progress on the approval of the version submitted by AlanH for the Mac users?

Not yet. I'll see if I can make some time to integrate his changes this weekend. I expect they'll work fine.

Top Bottom