Civ5?

How likely is Civ 5?

• Total voters
I don't see why not. Civ is such a good franchise, I've been playing this game ever since I was in 5th grade till college

I don't see why not. Civ is such a good franchise, I've been playing this game ever since I was in 5th grade till college

Seconded, altough I started playing it even earlier :)

The Civ franchise just makes to much money for them not to do it. Over 3* million copies plus expansions is a ton of potential money.

*3 million is how much civ 4 sold 7 months ago, according to wiki

If it was (and we knew about it) we wouldn't be speculating about how likely it is now would we ;)

Its very likely. Civilization is pretty much "the king of turn based strategy" titles on the market. This title is far from a hidden gem in the video game industry. It's well known and well respected. Like final fantasy for RPGers only Firaxis doesn't constantly say, "this is the last one" every time they release one. There is so much money involved with this title, the industry wouldn't allow it to sink. It is held on the same scale within Take 2 as Grand Theft Auto(Rockstar) and Elder Scrolls/Bioshock/Fallout 3 very soon(Bethesda).

That alone sells it but then figure in the Game of the Year Awards Civ 4 has achieved and that should be enough to put your mind at ease.

The only reason I voted most likely instead of for sure is because of Take 2's current situation. Many things could still happen involving rights and whatnot to possibly (although unlikely) suspend a release. But even if Take 2 sank it would most likely sell the rights for a huge wad of cash to EA or Activision or someone with the money. But really you can see my vote as another 'for sure' vote. Just not technically.

Also, Welcome to Civfanatics. :dance:

I voted most likely for the same reasons stated above. Take Two (and the whole world) is on shaky ground right now, but Civ is a classic and even if Take Two were to collapse, someone is bound to buy the rights to the franchise just like Firaxis took on the franchise after Sid left MicroProse.

I estimate 2009 January as date when work on Civ5 will officially be stated... ;)
(game released in 2010, most likely, 2009 Q4 seems too early by now)

Of course there'll be a Civ V and a Civ VI and.... It hasn't flopped yet, you know. This Cash Cow still has plenty of milk in it!

I am pretty sure there will be a Civ V, the question is when?

Welcome to the Forums n00b$h@vr1gh+s2. :beer:

I seriously doubt Take2 will falter given the success of GTA-4. It still holds sales figure records that Spore couldn't take down, IIRC. I think the question is if Civ4 will get milked or if it's time for a total redesign. I think they're likely to keep milking Civ4 and CivRev.

I seriously doubt Take2 will falter given the success of GTA-4. It still holds sales figure records that Spore couldn't take down, IIRC.
Yeah, its not probable but is possible. EA has became a monster in the last few years and I think Activision is now well on their way. I am interested in seeing where Vivaldi/Activision end up going a couple years down the road and lately Microsoft Games has been demanding my attention. So who knows?
I think the question is if Civ4 will get milked or if it's time for a total redesign.
Well Civ 4 was a total redesign so its very likely Firaxis will try to venture further with this model. Since they ran the first 3 versions off the same model its likely they will try to expand more on this one as well. I wouldn't call it milking so much as exploring their system better.
I personally would like to see Civ 5 finally pull out of land/tile based economy and begin to work more off trade but that may not be an area Fiaxis wants to venture off into. As it would steepen the economic learning curve to first timers. However with Civ Rev out now, perhaps the regular series will be granted more leniency towards complexity. As Firaxis seems to aim to make Civ a strategy title that does not appear "intimidating" to first-comers to the genre.

warpstorm said:
Actually Bioshock is Take 2 also.
Yeah, all the games in my previous post are in 2K's arsenal. I was providing examples for the OP to compare the Civ title to, to maybe get a better idea of what he is asking. It would be like asking "Will there be a GTA5?" I actually look for most of those games I listed to see sequels come out. I even left off Midnight Club from Rockstars production line which I see as an asset but not as large as the ones I mentioned. I also left off 2K sports.

The question is not whether they will make it or not - they sure will - but whether they will screw it up or not.

But let's stay optimistic ;)

I agree with Refar, except that I'm not optimistic. I religiously (pun intended) bought Civ4, Warlords, BtS and CivRev for the DS; I still play Civ3 because it still has those Civ2/SMAC elements that got me addicted in the first place. Civ4 has lousy maps and all those fiddly +1, -1 additions that make it more like Sudoku than a war game. However, providing CivRev for consoles may eventually see PC users regaining the grand strategy, empire-of-the-ages game that I crave. And finally, a small plug for terraforming and a unit design workshop, eh?

I put down 4 because nothing is for sure. However if EA was to acquire it I think they would make it but corrupt it some how. I mean they corrupted a Will Wright title, what's to say they won't corrupt Civ?

It's Civilization without User Mods! But if you get the EA download manager you can buy mods for $5 a piece!

Top Bottom