Post-1.8 patches

I thought you preferred the other way; +1 water, but 30% storage?

I think we must have had our wires crossed. Theme-wise, usage of deathstills surely means a larger amount of water is retained by the tribe than would be otherwise? Anyway, I don't mind too much either way.

Ok, but I quite liked seeing a nasty barbarian, it changed the game a lot.
Is there a way we could make a barbarian UU version that tied to a different (later) tech than stillsuits?
So the AI would still get an equivalent unit, but it would come a bit later.

Yeah, I quite like that too actually. I took it out because it was an accident rather than a deliberate design choice. No one complained about it so perhaps Barbarian CFs should be allowed. The previous complaints were because goody huts were spawning CFs which was pretty game-breaking. For barbs to get CFs now they need to have some cities that last a while.

Maybe you can merge the Growth flavor tweaks I posted into the next version?

Sure thing. I will probably be making a 1.9.2 soon - since 1.9.1 is pretty broken without 1.9.1.1.

Then I can release 1.9.2 to ModDB. Around 45% of 1.9 downloads came from ModDB direct rather than CFC downloads page so only releasing stuff here misses a significant portion of would be players.

Also, on the diplomacy text, is there a way to detemine which faction would be responding or providing the text?

Yes, indeed - it is possible to make all diplomacy text different depending on the Leader just by XML editing.

If you look first at Gameinfo\Civ4DiplomacyInfos.xml, you can see that some responses are generic (e.g. AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_ASK_FOR_HELP) and some are Leader specific (e.g. AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_FIRST_CONTACT which has a different text tag for each Leader e.g. AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_SHADDAM_1).

The actual diplo text is split between Text/DuneWarsText.xml and Text/Civ4DiplomacyText.xml - I should probably move it all to the latter.

The flavour leader diplo text is in DuneWarsText.xml, but you'll see that they are all the same for all 22 leaders. In other words, AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_SHADDAM_1 is identical to AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_PAUL_1. This is where we can edit the text to convey some character.

The generic text is in Civ4DiplomacyText.xml - that's where I've changed (for example) - the war declaration from "Your head would look good on a pole!" to "We shall wipe you from the face of Arrakis!".

In fact, all responses can be made Leader specific, but in vanilla they didn't do this and I can understand why due to sheer volume of text that would need to be written.

I think we must have had our wires crossed. Theme-wise, usage of deathstills surely means a larger amount of water is retained by the tribe than would be otherwise? Anyway, I don't mind too much either way.
I don't really mind either.

Have you had a chance to fix the Atreides unique promotions so they don't require a level-up promotion? Would be cool to see that too.

Sure thing. I will probably be making a 1.9.2 soon - since 1.9.1 is pretty broken without 1.9.1.1.
Oops. Don't use previous version, tag error.

Attachments

• Growth_flavor_tweaks.rar
    15.8 KB · Views: 163
Thanks. Merging in your changes I notice that you have 2500 as the cost for the Prescience Tech and I have 1500. Did you change that? I can't remember changing it myself.

Yes, I changed it.
Looking at the eras reminded me that it should be a later-game tech. Plus a game with Fremen I was able to beeline it too early.

In a test game, the flavor changes seem to make quite a difference in terms of propping up AI score, the AI players are doing pretty well (except Harkonnen, off on a small island in the corner), and I was unable to found Qizarate despite a fairly early beeline for it - AI Bene Gesserit beelined earlier (and built the Collected Teachings wonder for free tech).

Updated earlier post with a link to patch 1.9.1.2.

The main change is fixing Homeworld persistent data. The Homeworld data wasn't being stored in savegames due me misunderstanding the way BugData works. I think this may have been causing OOS errors in multiplayer when reloading saves.

Also including the updates growth flavors.

In the new version with the polar sink change; we need to change the improvement entires so they're buildable.

I was able to build turbines and cottages on the polar terrain (should be cottage and solar farm) and was unable to build anything on the polar sink terrain (should be cottage and solar farm).

Along similar lines, we should check to make sure that both polar and polar sink can terraform, and that forests can grow in polar sink/sinks.

I like the look of it though, and I imagine it should make the AI better at warring over it when its a single landmass.

The welcome thread says there are no patches for 1.9, it is very confusing.

Thank you for the reminder. Although I have not worked actively on DW for some months, I still own the first post in the welcome thread and the first post in the DW mod thread. I have updated both posts with the current patch information for 1.9.1.2.

In the new version with the polar sink change; we need to change the improvement entires so they're buildable.

I was able to build turbines and cottages on the polar terrain (should be cottage and solar farm) and was unable to build anything on the polar sink terrain (should be cottage and solar farm).

Along similar lines, we should check to make sure that both polar and polar sink can terraform, and that forests can grow in polar sink/sinks.

I like the look of it though, and I imagine it should make the AI better at warring over it when its a single landmass.

Trade also doesn't work. I've placed city on sink/polar sink and planned to grab ice and diamonds nearby (also on polar sink) but resources were not connected nor the city had no trade or connection. I thought that simple entry in xml will fix that so I've pasted fragment to file CIV4TechInfos.xml:

Code:
<TechInfo>
	<Type>TECH_WATER_TRANSPORTATION</Type>
<TerrainTrade>
	<TerrainType>TERRAIN_POLAR_PLAINS</TerrainType>
	<bTerrainTrade>1</bTerrainTrade>
</TerrainTrade>

it's visible now in pedia but still now effect on gameplay. No further ideas.

Fada85

Thank you for the reminder. Although I have not worked actively on DW for some months, I still own the first post in the welcome thread and the first post in the DW mod thread. I have updated both posts with the current patch information for 1.9.1.2.

There is a problem in that 1.9.1.2 is not a patch for version 1.9 which is the impression that the welcome thread currently gives. Installing 1.9.1.2 over patch 1.9 will give very unpredictable results.

1.9.1 is the latest full version of the mod and 1.9.1.2 is the latest patch for it.

I should have used 2.0 instead, but I wanted to wait until I had a more significant list of changes and more artwork done. I think I will just make a 2.0 version to save the current confusion.

I have updated the welcome thread to mention 1.9.1.2 and point to its release note page. The release note page says: "Note: 1.9.1 is the latest full version of Dune Wars - you need to install it first before installing 1.9.1.2.". That seems clear enough to me.

Shall I add a comment to the welcome thread which repeats this point?

Hey there, long time reader, first time poster, have a quick concern. My buddy and I have installed version 1.9.1b of Dune Wars and patched up to 1.9.1.2. The problem is that we're still getting OOS msgs when trying to reload a saved game. Just wondering if there's anyone else getting these issues? And if so, is there a fix available?
BTW, just wanted to say this is the most AWESOME mod i've run across for Civ4 since i started playing 4 years ago. Cheers!

I also installed 1.9.1b and can't load a saved game. I didn't install the patch but I did install the 1.9 music files.

H4H, if you try to load a save game without exiting and starting up DW, you will get the OOS message. It has always worked like that.

My problem is that I can't load a saved game - I get a message about the game being unable to decompress files or something like that - it flashes up very quickly.

I removed 1.9.1b via Windows Control Panel, used cclenaer to clean up any registery leftovers and loaded 1.9 final. It works fine - saved games load up after restarting DW.

Right on Mike9o, I was aware of the save issues, needing to restart the mod for single player. I wasn't exactly clear, though, my issue was with multiplayer saves.

I found an earlier post that recommended loading a multiplayer game from the autosave files, which works just fine, but was wondering if there were any plans to address the OOS issues from created saves in multiplayer.

Hey guys,

My first post on the forums! I registered just to be able to comment on this awesome mod!

Currently I'm using 1.9.1b with patch 1.9.1.2 and here are a couple of things I noticed:

- Tooltip for Slig resource still mentions the Slig Charcuterie building, which is not buildable. (Was removed with 1.9 Beta I believe.)
- Polar Sink does not allow trade, as fada85 mentions above. Not sure if this is intended behavior.
- The Inquisitor seems to be missing the ability to remove religions; odd, since this is specifically what the unit is for.
- Annex City espionage mission causes a CTD or game hang sometimes. (Also mentioned elsewhere on the forums.) In one game I took a city from the Tleilaxu but later, when I was at war with them, I experienced a CTD/hang when attempting to annex another one. (I had hoped to take the city through espionage and then move in my occupation force of Fish Speakers :sad:)

I'm hoping you guys are still working on this mod and are able to resolve these issues.

On another note, there was a list of 'stub'-pedia entries posted (from 1.8 iirc) but I'm not sure if that's still up to date. If there is an updated list for the current version I'd be more than happy to have a look at it and provide some quotes/text entries.

Cheers,
Natasha

I think we should make the next release 2.0 just to sort out the welcome thread install confusion... :)

We were going to call it 1.9.2 just since it's a minor update. No really new content, just a few fixes and upgraded game systems. At any rate, the number is not so much important, as getting a full download up without mismatched patches will solve the issues. Right now the real issue is the main download link points to an older full release, it should point to the 1.9.1 download.

Perhaps it is time for a new welcome thread. Or ask david to relinquish control of the existing one. When I get a chance I can grab some more up-to-date screenshots that sell the mod a bit more (even though it's free).

The reason I'd prefer to call your fixed and polished version 2.0 is that A LOT has changed since 1.9 not least moving to the Better BUG AI codebase from RevDCM.

Edit: Also, it would be good for releasing to Mod DB which is where a lot of downloads happen. Marketing you see... we can have 2.0 beta phase if that helps.

David's been around, I think it's not necessarily necessary. I'd leave it up to him. And more screenshots are always good :thumbsup:

The reason I'd prefer to call your fixed and polished version 2.0 is that A LOT has changed since 1.9 not least moving to the Better BUG AI codebase from RevDCM.

that makes sense.

Top Bottom