Changes for v1.10

Great work so far.

Dale could you please separate the music files and the sailing movie to something like :Media Pack: so that users with slow internet (dial up) like me could easily download the mod. I know that it would create some confusion but everyone here would probably know how to add the media pack back if someone wanted the extra stuff.

Please note that sell-of is not 100% of excess. The amount of excess sold off is the same as the percentage of Europe price for that building. So for warehouse, 10% sold at 10% price. Then 25% sold at 25% price. Then lastly CH sells 50% of excess at 50% price.

Ooops! Sorry, I thought he was yours. :)

Hey out of curiosity, are you going to be putting in the art from the blu mod that has the conquistador for Spain and the new uniforms for the French, etc?

Please note that sell-of is not 100% of excess. The amount of excess sold off is the same as the percentage of Europe price for that building. So for warehouse, 10% sold at 10% price. Then 25% sold at 25% price. Then lastly CH sells 50% of excess at 50% price.

Hi, I joined this forum just to comment and help with this, but first off I have to say thanks to Dale for making this Mod... you pretty much saved a game that was horribly put together off the shelf.

Anyways, re the above, I tried running 1.10 and the custom house would not sell more than 10% of the excess per turn. The price seemed to be correct (although it said 60% on the building when you scroll the mouse over it). The other thing is, and I'm not sure how easy it is to fix, but is it possible to set the level at which it'll start selling? Ie, sell anything over 100 units (and perhaps sell 100% of it)?

Craig

Re the changes to the other Euro colonies, wow what a difference. They were definitely too wimpy before, however I'm pondering that the immigration for them might have increased a little too much. I was blown away by the number and size of cities the comp had very early in the game, and I was only on Conquistador level to try it out.

Might require a bit of a strategy change from how I was playing before with wimpy comps. I'd be interested to see how others have found it.

Craig

Hi craigdh. The 1.10 you're using from above is a "beta" of the AI changes. :) The economic changes are not reflected in it yet. You'll get all those goodies (and a better scaled AI to handicap than the 1.10 test) when I fully release 1.10. :)

Thanks Dale

@ Craig Yup, I also have the same feeling now. AI gets too much help.

Let alone with so many AIs now, the FFs are not distributed as they should.

You can still have some fun, if you disable all AI - till it gets balanced- and play against indians, and pirates.

The 1.10 you're using from above is a "beta" of the AI changes. The economic changes are not reflected in it yet

Yes, new AI is pretty impressive. I played a few games and AI player populations always outnumbered me. And I like it. My only remaining concerns about AI are
- city placement: AI player still founds cities in stupid places (eg ice, desert without any resources and food to grow)
- AI warfare: AI player is too passive. I played a game in govenor handicap + agressive option and I survived first 500 turns with an army of 2 dragoons and a soldier (I had 6 settlements with 3 of them in constant danger). Russia attacked me a few times but only with cannons, one by one. If they had mobilized 4 or 5 units at once, I would have been lost. :)

< Ahem > So, the point is to make the AI beat us at every level, no matter what? :p

With all that help AI can whipe our ass in three turns.

There is no way to have a long game in patriot any more, cause the AI will DoI in ~150 turns. It also has an empire 3-4 times mine! And believe me I am a wacko expansionist. :p

I tend to disable it, and play against pirates and indians only.

Koma, I have never, ever been attacked by AI colonial forces. Natives, sure, but AI colonials have never made a go for even the least defended of my cities.
However, running on v1.09, I find the AI far better able to defend its own home territories against my invading armies. In previous versions I could send in one or two dragoons and wreak havoc. With a couple canons, I could wipe them out. Now I'm finding the AI has mobilized a few dragoons - something it had never done before. In the very early game I find one or two enemy dragoons ready to eliminate my invasion force, and later in the game as many as six or more. This forces me to include a couple soldiers in the force, slowing the whole thing down, but since the soldiers get defensive bonuses on woods & hills, that's usually enough to ensure success, as long as I keep my dragoons in the same squares with the soldiers. At least until the AI dragoons have been eliminated.

It's a good thing that the AI nations are able to grow and present more of a threat. I'd like to see them being even more aggressive.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

On what difficulty level do you play mate? Have you been able to DoI before AI?

I think the AI is just gathering forces to defend the King and early DoI. It knows it will win faster like that. You can notice AI almost always delclares war on nearby powers, but doesn't give a damn about players being 1000 tiles far away.

If your colonies are right next to its nose, it will attack.

< Ahem > So, the point is to make the AI beat us at every level, no matter what? :p

With all that help AI can whipe our ass in three turns.

There is no way to have a long game in patriot any more, cause the AI will DoI in ~150 turns. It also has an empire 3-4 times mine! And believe me I am a wacko expansionist. :p

I tend to disable it, and play against pirates and indians only.

I just want to point out here, that except for an economic boost, the AI is "unfetered" now. Basically I have removed all the restrictions on the AI. So what you saw in the 1.10 beta is quite literally the AI without penalties.

This is what I've done:
- boosted amount of gold AI gets in trade (scaled to handicap)
- fixed bug where AI wasn't rushing immigrants
- fixed bug where AI wasn't arming colonists in Europe
- fixed bug where AI wasn't correctly determining how to defend cities
- modified the AI behaviour a little bit to streamline and increase its performance

That's about it I'm sure.

EDIT:
Oh, and I fixed up some issues the King AI was having with its REF landing and attacking.

I'm playing a game with the RC version of 1.10 at Patriot level. I tried a small map and it's interesting because the AI's are constantly crawling all over each other (and me). The rapid expansion of the AIs and the lack of space makes for lots of aggressiveness between the nations. Personally I like it. You really have to change your tactics to arm up quickly because the AI won't simply sit around and wait for you to out-earn it.

On the flip side, the AI seems somewhat reluctant to utilize it's force (I assume because they are trying to build up for the WoI). Also it seems to respect your defenses. So, it balances out.

Personally I -love- the AI changes.

I like the fact that the AI is a little more challenging, however they're pretty much impossible to compete with size-wise... that and they seem to setup tiny cities absolutely everywhere.

How about them triggering native hostility? I know with the changes that if I expanded that way plopping cities down all over the natives that they'd certainly attack me (and given how much stronger the natives start unit-wise, this is a realistic impediment), but I haven't seen too many instances of the other colonies running into more native trouble than usual.

Hmmm... AI has always a tiny REF to oppose. I know it because I've sent my guys to observe just from curiosity.

AI always achieves DoI win way too easy and way too fast.

Also there are many AIs (more than 3), and this means the FFs are now divided by 5 or 6 and not 4.

For anyone who thinks something else, please post a game on patriot level where you do beat the AI with a DoI win -trigger eco and industrial wins off. It seems AI is always a step ahead than me. Also you are not allowed to delcare war on any other European. Why? Just to prove you are able to DoI win, before AI does.

Even if I make war and completely beat 2-3 AI powers, the reamining AIs always have the time to expand and achieve DoI about 1650-1700. I try to avoid load save spam, and this means I have also casualties, when i fight them.

Something very similar with the game you posted Dale.

Top Bottom