The Modder's Guide to Civ4

Niice!! Thanks for the info and link!

Could you please tell about city graphics ?
- file type
- file organisation ( number, names,... )
- how they look ( whole city or just parts )

EDIT : nevermind, just saw your other post..

I have something I need help on Weasel Op. I've looked at it and I'm struggling to find the right answer. I would like to take the Earth map and put it into the py format so it can be loaded through the single player - custom. This would allow for us to quickly choose who we want to play as and with(#). An option to choose to randomize the starting locations would be a nice touch. Thanks so much.... ;)

Olorin0222 said:
There may be more FLC files as well, since CIV LH's seem to have emotions that Civ3 LH's did not have.
Another possibility is that we have the same amount of .flc files, but they're longer to incorporate the different emotions.
Are leaderheads in Civ IV era-specific or is it the same clothing/background throughout the game?

Weasel Op said:
Leaderheads are going to be rough. :wow:
1 C header file (list of animations)
9-10 .dds textures
8-9 .KF files
2 .KFM files
3 .NIF files
:help:
For a game that's supposed to be completely moddable, they're making it extremely hard. Can one add a new civilization or at this stage, would an existing civilization need to be replaced?

This thread needs stickification. I can see myself refering to it alot now that we know modding Civ4 isn't exactly straight forward.

Weasel Op said:
Since the map uses square tiles this time, (0,0) is the upper left corner, and (X,Y) is the number of tiles right and down respectively from there. I'm not sure what you mean about what certain portions are.

Actually be careful here.....

(0,0) is actually bottom-left. ;)

X = shift upwards
Y = shift right

Dale

Weasel Op said:
:bump:
Does anyone have any specific areas that they would like me to concentrate on? I'll try to update the graphics section tomorrow with what we have figured out so far.

Yes, sir. I'd like to know about changing/editing/adding unit promotions. :)

Thanks.

Weasel Op said:
@CK: I'll check it out.

Thaks, Weasel Op! Just did. Looks like there are three relevant files:

(1) \XML\Units\CIV4PromotionInfos.xml
(2) \XML\Text\CIV4GameTextInfos_Objects.xml
(3) \XML\Text\CIV4GameTextInfos.xml

• (1)Used to describe what the promotion does:
    • PromotionPrereqOr1/2: the required pre-req promotion
    • TechPrereq: duh!
    • Next are all the different abilities: pretty obvious what they do.
    • UnitCombatType: which units may use this promotion
    • UnitCombatMod w/ UnitCombatType: Percent combat increase against that type of unit.
  • (2)Used to merely give the actual text name that'll appear for that promotion (e.g. Combat I)
  • (3)I believe this is the in-game text help. (??)

That was from a quick scan. I may be wrong on some of it.

See what you can come up with, Weasel.

Elsewhere in the forum it has been implied (probably explicit instructions have appeared) that you can put modified Assets into a custom assets folder, which will be preferentially loaded allowing you to leave your originals unmolested. If the search feature in the forums were enabled I'm sure I could find this out without asking.

I see my Civ IV directory has a short-cut titled - "_Civ4CustomAssets" - but it doesn't seem to work (modified XML files put in the correct directory tree location are not loaded). I assume that I need to do something - rename the shortcut? Replace it with an actual directory? Call the executable with a flag?

Whatever it is I need to do - this is the sort of meta-instruction that should go in the overview section of a useful guide. A brief discussion of the entire directory structure might be helpful as well (outside links would be perfectly acceptable there, though,) to help reduce the panic factor, if nothing else.

Ok, this might not be the right thread, but I'm asking anyway. Does anyone know what files would have to be changed to change the diplomacy. There is a bug in the hotseat diplomacy that seems like it's probably a pretty simple fix if I could find the right file. When you offer a human player a trade, the trade is immediately pulled off the table as if you had hit clear table. I was wondering if there was a python file that covers this and could be fixed.

Top Bottom