The Modder's Guide to Civ4

The 3DSMax 7 Exporter for Civ4 is now out, you should consider trying it out and modify the guide as needed.

:bump:

As you can see, I have utterly failed to keep this thread up-to date, or even complete the sections that I had begun. I rarely play Civ4 these days, because I spend my game time modding Civ3. Thus I am in no place to continue with this guide. However I feel that it would be nice to have a single thread with an overview of each aspect of Civ4 modding and plenty of links to the most helpful and informative tutorials, etc. Basically, a place where anyone can look to find what they need to know about modding.
So, since I'm not the one to compile such information, I would like to ask for contributions from those who are currently active in this forum. If anyone would like to post some information, be it a few links or a detailed essay, I will gladly edit it into my opening posts with credit to the author/provider.

Hi,

Thanks for this thread. I hoped that finally I found something that would help me to start modding and "Dale's World Builder Manual" really looked so. Unfortuantely, the link to http://members.dodo.com.au/~thesdale/Manual.zip does not work, I receive the following message:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~thesdale/Manual.zip on this server.

Does anybody have that file?

Thanks,

Ulysse

I need help. i have recently made several mods, but they are taking up space on my hard drive. can you tell me how to delete world builder files from my computer?

The World Builder

The World Builder (WB) is the part of Civ4 that is used to create new maps and scenarios. It can be loaded at any time during the game. Many people find the WB slow and clucnky, but fortunately there are other ways to edit the saves. An interesting thing about the World Builder Saves is that they are saved in ordinary text format. You can open, edit, and save them using the most powerful computer program known to man- NOTEPAD. The file is easy to understand, and for small changes it's probably easier to tweak the text rather than loading it in the World Builder. There is also a converter that creates maps from a series of bmp images.

Manual: Dale (who turned out to be another one of those elusive beta testers) has made a great World Builder Manual in pdf format.
Manual (7.1 mb)

Making Maps: There are 3 ways to build new maps. You can use the WB to make it in-game, you can manually set it up in Notepad, or you can use the BMP to WBS converter to generate maps using bmp images.

The World Builder Save (WBS): Dale is also working on a complete guide to editing the WBS in text format in this thread.

Unlock the full capabilities: If you have tried to use the World Builder, you have probably noticed that a lot of the functions have been disabled. This is to keep the World Builder from being a cheat machine, but you can't make good scenarios. Fortunately, Soren Johnson released the "cheat code": In the main ini file, which can be accesed through "Shortcut to _Civ4Config" in the main Civilization 4 folder, replace the line "CheatCode = 0" with "CheatCode = chipotle". This will unlock all the features of the World Builder, allowing complete scenario control.

The cheatcode for the world builder didn't work at all. Help please :confused: btw im useing bts that may be the reason right?

Hi,

This thread's pretty old, but I figured I'd post this here. I'm looking to do some serious modding to Civ4, and to, quite frankly, gut the game quite a bit. My question is, are there XML files for things like the city screen or does that kind of thing come in another format?

Thanks!

Python: Assets/Python/Screens/CvMainInterface.py

Hi, I don't know where to begin. I've been reading and experimenting with no success with what I want to do. I would like to know where to begin modding to have an "Auto End Turn" option put into the game. I have seen it in the BUG options in Rise of Mankind A New Dawn and Caveman to Cosmos. I downloaded BUG 4.4 and installed it in the mod folder its the mod I would like to add the auto end turn option to.

Where and how do I go about this?

I think you want to go to options, in the game tab, the third option down says "wait at end of turn". Uncheck the box and the turn auto-ends as soon as you've chosen your cities' production and moved all your units.

Is there a way for me to edit the Caravel's Unit Info in its XML document, to enable it to also transport Settlers and Workers, along with the special-type units?

I'd like to be able to do so, without having to change Settler and Worker to special type units. And when I do add them to the Caravel's Cargo line in its XML document, do I make a new, separate line within the tags; one line below the Special Units, for Settler, then below that, a third line for Worker?

Thank you for anyone's response. :)

I don't think that you can add another definition to the tag <SpecialCargo>.

On the other hand, if you feel like Settlers and Workers should be transported as non-military units, it's not so bad to include them as 'SPECIALUNIT_PEOPLE'.

The only problem that I see is that the Caravel has that special ability to travel in rival territory (bRivalTerritory), which I always found a bit awkward. I guess it was meant for overall exploration but then it would mean you could cross foreign territory with settlers without open borders agreement.

Top Bottom