What did you learn from Civ 3?

deo

Emperor
What things did you learn from civ 3 you didnt know about?

I for Example never knew about sumeria and that it was the first civ, now i know about gilgamesh too. Maya, aztec, inca, i did know that they existed but i thought they were barbarians, but instead they were a realy culturaly advanced civ. And abut those UU's, Sipahi, Man o War, Musketeer etc, never knew about them. Plus many many things from the civilopedia.

You shouldn't believe everything that is said in the civilopedia. Some of it lacks research from those that have written it.

I have learned something from civ3 though. I had never heard of some of the historical persons, like Sun Tzu for instance.

The major thing I learned from Civ3 was that spearmen can defeat tanks.

Theoden said:
I have learned something from civ3 though. I had never heard of some of the historical persons, like Sun Tzu for instance.
It's quite easy to find his Art of War in libraries. Expecially when there's a war in Iraq or something like that! :D (I mean, in real world! :D)

YNCS said:
The major thing I learned from Civ3 was that spearmen can defeat tanks.
Yay :spear:

-Learned about some civilization's great leaders

-And that the scince level can never be too high.

Wow, where do I start? Sometimes I would stop playing for a minute and just read the civilpedia. Some pretty cool stuff in their.

That a ruler in order to be succesful has to do evrething by thrmselves, without advisors. And that war is nessesary for survivial.

Seriously Deo, you didn't know anything about Musketeer???

Thx to Civilization i know the 7 Wonders of the world and their little story ;)

I've learned that computers are evil and are bent on world domination

Theoden said:
You shouldn't believe everything that is said in the civilopedia. Some of it lacks research from those that have written it.

Yeah, actually, the civilopedia isn't entirely on as far as history goes, but its good enough if it actually put within me an appreciation for history.

One thing I should bring up, however, is that the games gave me the false impression of Iron's superiority over Bronze. I did some research and was surprised to discover that Bronze is superior to Iron in many respects, and was only replaced because of the fact in ancient times, getting ahold of Tin and Copper usually required that at least one of the materials be imported. Iron, on the other hand, required greater technology to use. Once this hurdle was overcome, iron became a more attractive material because it could reasonably replace Bronze in the production of weapons and tools, but was cheaper and easier to acquire.

A good military is important even for peaceful nations. (Except for those crazy no-military variant game:D )

I learned that I had to be patient and plan ahead for what I wanted in order to succeed.

That, and that you can't trust an Aztec with nukes. :D

That foreign trade is good for everybody.

That foreign AID can be good for everybody. (Never really understood that before.) Now I understand what they mean when they talk about "investing in a trading partner."

One thing I might have thought I learned, had I not known better than to believe it:

Democracy and Republic are different. (They are not, the civilopedia in a roundabout sort of way, admits as much. No society has ever revolted from the one to the other, as they are the same thing.) It almost seems as though the "Republic" and "Democracy" are the U.S. governed by either the Republican Party or the Democratic Party. But we don't have anarchy after an election.

Top Bottom