Language translations for leader sayings

sorry, i didnt mean that he speak garbage latin, i only think that no one can know how to speak it with right rhythm and accent, no offense intended by me in my post...only consideration about how i feel the latin speech under my italian native point of view...

I never studied latin nor i havent listen it ( some church in italy still have some function in latin language but im not a hardcore church user x) ) but i know very well that italian came from a medieval distrorsion of latin, pass trought varius barbarian invasion, and finally born in its ancient form in tuscany where they still spek a form of ancient italian (that now is their dialectal form)...i dont know if our rhythm and accent is the right one for using in latin speach...

I studied Latin for three years, though I claim to be no expert! The voice actor for Caesar did an awesome job of speaking "Classical" Latin, which sounds VERY different from later "Church" Latin. It might sound funny to your ear because you are more familiar with later "Church" Latin and vulgate-vernacular Latin dialects which developed into the Italian language today. Pretty cool how language can change so much over time eh? :D

I'm a big stickler when it comes to "Classical" Latin because there are some things that we DO know about in regards to pronunciation and speech. An example is softened 'V's and always hard 'C's and 'G's.

For example, in Classical Latin, street or road is pronounced "wia" from VIA.
In Church Latin/Italian, the same word is pronounced with the more familiar "via."

And Julius' name would pronounce something like: "Gai-oos Yoo-lee-oos Kai-sar" if you wanted to speak proper "Classical" Latin. :D

Here are some corrections for Isbella after listening to her files:

*Attacked: (Repugnante prole del Diablo! Lo pagaréis!)
*Declare War: (Probablemente Dios os perdone, pero yo no. Preparaos para la guerra!)
**Defeated: (Muy bien. Esta es sin duda la voluntad de Dios y debo aceptarla.)
Hate Hear it 1: (Adelante.)
*Hate Hear it 2: (¿Qué decíais?)
*Hate Hear it 3: (Continuad)
Hate Hello: (¿Y bien?)
Hate No 1: (Eso es inaceptable.)
Hate No 2: (Desde luego que no.)
Hate No 3: (¿Estáis loco?)
Hate Yes 1: (De acuerdo.)
Hate Yes 2: (Desde luego.)
Hate Yes 3: (Creo que es una obligación.)
*Intro: (Dios bendiga a aquellos que lo merezcan. Soy Isabel de España.)
**Neutral hear it 1: (Proseguid) (Yes, and not "proceded")
*Neutral hear it 2: (¿Sí?)
Neutral hear it 3: (Estoy escuchando.)
Neutral hello: (Saludos)
*Neutral no 1: (No ante Dios.)
Neutral no 2: (Rehusamos.)
Neutral no 3: (¿Cómo?)
Neutral yes 1: (Muy bien.)
*Neutral yes 2: (Excelente)
Neutral yes 3: (Con la bendición de Dios.)
Peaceful: (Dios os bendecirá por vuestra clemencia ante el enemigo derrotado.) Which changes the meaning and translates as "God will bless you for your mercy to the defeated enemy" or something along those lines
*Request: (Espero que este trato reciba su bendición.)

Well, at least now Isabella is coherent on how she treats the player. Thanks for clearing this out!
But remember that in Spanish, exclamative sentences begin with "¡". That probably is the pickiest I've ever been to someone: I forget them all the time too :)

It's still strange that she doesn't use the regal plural to refer to herself though, specially since she seems to use it in the neutral no 2: "rehusamos".

EDIT: answering to the next post (I think we have monopolized enough of this thread already talking about Spanish grammar):
Oh, I should have seen that too.You are right, without the "a", it's incorrect if you are talking about blessing someone, and not something. I think the Isabella transcription and translation are pretty much perfect by now.

By the way, I am by no means a teacher of anything, I just know my language. Are you Spanish, by the way (your "title" and "location" [Madrid in cyrillic] are somewhat confusing)? You do have some pretty solid knowledge of the language too.

Profesor:

One more thing: We are still missing the word "a" in the intro: "Dios bendiga a aquellos que lo merezcan..."

I had to listen to it a few times because the next word starts with A as well and it's not clear. The "a" makes a lot of sense thou, so I changed it in the previous post.

Wu Zetian agrees

NeutralYes01: Of course. (当然。)
NeutralYes02: I agree. (我同意。)
NeutralYes03: Excellent! (好极了!)

One of these phrases sounds just like "works for me!" in English, so much so that I wonder if this is not a coincidence.

There are definitely Mohawk (it might be Onondaga, being Hiawatha) translators out there. We've just got to find one.

Guys my dad DOES understand most of what Pachacuti says, he is fairly pleased with the translations (he mentions that it could be better ofc but its not like Civ5 will hire a true inca descendant to do the job). I will be editing this post as he tells me about it. Depending on the quechua zone you can swap the C for Q' or K. Thats a very deep discussion over here but since my dad is not from Cuzco he insisted that I use C hehe.

Greeting: Allillanchu Canchi. ñocami cami Pachacuti. Inca Cunapa *something* How are you? I am Pachacuti, Leader of the Inca People (note that the literal translation is something more poetic, akin to "I hope you are allright for I am Pachacuti, from the Great People of Inca their Leader")

Sadly I dont have here the Inca DLC and I am using the upload some guy did to internet. For further translating please upload it to youtube with more volume.

EDIT: I will be posting more in the next days because for now we have to celebrate the new year. Happy new year CivFanatics!

Interesting discussion on the Spanish. I'll get corrections up ASAP. Let me know if there's anything I'm missing in the edited version.

Bradicus, you're right! Emilie did a great job with Classical Latin. Some minor pronunciation errors that some Latin scholars (better than me) found, but nothing major, and certainly it was more accurate to use Classical Latin than Ecclesiastical. :)

Turboraton, I think it wouldn't be illegal for me to send you the sound files myself. I didn't buy the Inca/Spain DLC, but a friend of mine who understood my reasons got me a copy as a gift. PM me and I can email you the audio files? That's how I got my Mongolian friend to help out with Genghis translations (my friend doesn't own Civ V, but she wasn't in my geographical locality, so I emailed her the files to hear). Would be GREAT to get Quecha translations. :D

CHEESE! That's true. The question is, how many Mohawk speakers play Civ V and have found this site (and thread) to help out? I'd imagine none so far. XD

Update: I sent Turboration the Inca sound files, and he sent me a message confirming he'd received them, and that he'd have the Inca translations posted in 3-4 days. Now, several weeks after that message, he hasn't been replying to my private messages. So it looks like we're not going to get Pacachuti translations for a while. Anyone have any leads on translations for the other leaders? XD

As a language nut I can't but wait in anxiety for more transscripts. Would love to have Armenia as a civilization in the game, and then get the translations for it. <3

Sadly my native language isn't of any use in Civilization 5. Though I am half-German, but never natively learned German, I can tell you that the way Bismarck speaks is indeed "Hoch Deutsch". At least that's the pronounciation I use when I attempt to speak German.

Of course I'm wondering if one would create completely new sound files to provide more accurate speeches. I can just imagine how Suleiman sounds to Turkish people ...

Shame about Coptic though. Despite being such a near-extinct language it would have been a great move to include it. Sure it would take some resources to track down one who speaks it properly enough, but that would be the fans' job anyway...

i think Isabella's hate hear it 2 could be something on the lines of "what did you want?" "or something of that nature involving the verb decir (to want)

Anyone here speak Hawaiian? Kamekameha is begging for translations. I understand "Aloha" and the mention of his name but little else.

Also, why is this thread not stickied? Civilopedia online is stickied, and while useful, does not involve anywhere near the amount of collaboration the translation project drew from the Civfanatics community. I'd say this thread is worthy of stickification, esp. since future DLCs are bound to come up.

(Also, apparently people who speak Nebuchadnezzar's language exist in certain parts of California. Might be worth looking into, maybe?)

Anyone here speak Hawaiian? Kamekameha is begging for translations. I understand "Aloha" and the mention of his name but little else.

Also, why is this thread not stickied? Civilopedia online is stickied, and while useful, does not involve anywhere near the amount of collaboration the translation project drew from the Civfanatics community. I'd say this thread is worthy of stickification, esp. since future DLCs are bound to come up.

(Also, apparently people who speak Nebuchadnezzar's language exist in certain parts of California. Might be worth looking into, maybe?)

I speak Hawaiian, but not nearly enough to understand him sorry.

Aw. :(

What about the neutral greeting? Would you be able to translate that?

steam-->steamapps-->Civ5-->DLC (3, I think)-->Sounds-->Shared

Speaks German, though not the proper kind, according to Azalnubizar: "For example I have never heard anyone using the word "Bösewicht", which I have translated as "villian", when addressing someone - only when talking about a book or movie do you use this word."

Attacked: Depraved Villain! We will bring you under the earth!
I guess it is used as often as addressing someone with "Depraved Villain"

Also worth noting that Catherine uses "thou" instead of "you", she is being rude, or intimate. :king:

Isabella :" Hate Hear it 2: You said? (¿Que deciais?) I'm not 100% sure on this one."

1. I think you meant to spell it "Que decias" or you forgot an accent mark on the second I. But the first is more likely. Otherwise it means "what were you (plural) saying", which doesn't make sense, unless she's talking to your entire civilization.

2. The translation is more like "What were you saying?". I assume the insult here would be that she wasn't paying attention to you

Does Spain exclusive use Usted for formal or would they ever incorporate vosotros (I ask because, in Italian, they can be interchangeable and, in French, they entirely use vous)?

Small point, but for Napoleon's HateYes, "D'accord", and HateYes4, "C'est d'accord", I believe a more accurate translation would be "Agreed" and "It's agreed". I may be wrong as my knowledge of French is more from Canada than France, but I'm fairly certain about this.

Top Bottom