SCENARIO: American Civil War - C3C only

Two for Divisions, one for mainline infantry, cavalry and artillery, zero for ships, homeguards, and scouts sounds good.

I'm not sure on Militia, Draftees, Garrisons; realism-wise, they should cost pop, but then why would anyone spend shields on draftable units when that does not save pop, and Garrisons certainly aren't overpowered as are.

Irregulars, it seems to me, should cost pop; guerilla warfare is costly demographically, and retaining the pop cost would allow us to give them a low shield cost, so they can be builts swiftly, but yet not in unlimited numbers.

For Raiders, I only worry it might make them too good value. But Basically I think removing the pop cost is good; we can always hike the shield cost if they turn out to be too good. They're not going to replace infantry brigades anyway.

Ok with irregular / raider units having a pop cost. Your argument makes sense.

I still think militia / garrison should be pop free. Garrisons are decent defenders but have no mobility. Militia have a relatively puny offense (and defense as the game goes on). Drafted militia have only 2 HP, so altough they cost 1 pop, their strength is even further weakened. Militia built with shields (especially in a city with a training center) have double the HP of a drafted unit. I think it makes them an attractive buy without the pop cost, especially for the smaller cities which won't be able to grow past pop. 4 (because of the Aqueduct setting we will be making).

I see smaller cities building militias, larger cities drafting militia and building mainline infantry / cavalry units. Seems to me that would work pretty well to create a balanced range of units (and strengths between each).

Misfit

Militia and Draftees aren't really meant to be built at all. :) Which is why they have a higher built in cost (20% increase).

Militia were meant as starting units for each "state". Draftees are meant to be drafted.

USA Brigade=4 HP total
CSA Brigade=4 HP total

USA Division=10 HP total (+6 bonus)
CSA Division=16 HP total (+12 bonus)

I've acquired new artwork for the following unit types:

Militia
Garrison
Home Guard
Cavalry (two different, one CSA, one Union)
Indian (both foot and mounted)
Volunteer & Rifleman Divisions (share one type)
Enfield / Springfield Divisions (share one type)
Spencer Divisions
Howitzer & Siege gun artillery
Horse artillery
Inflitrator
Raider

I like all of the new artwork, but am still not quite sure that the new look Militia / Garrison are enough of an improvement over the standard Musketeer look. I'll probably put it into a beta and see what people think.

The infantry divisions will appear as multiunit figures, which makes them look considerably more impressive on the map. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find suitable multiunit cavalry so we will have to leave with them the way they are.

Misfit

Unit graphics was one area which I struggled to get support with from others.

I'm looking forward to seeing these.

That's okay. Your MUCH better with maps than I am. I've started the tech modifications for ACW C3C, so I can probably save you some time there as well (positioning is a bit of a *****). It will probably take a few more days, but I should have an alpha copy of ACW C3C v4.0 ready. You can pickup stuff from there.

:)

Misfit

That's why ACW featured so much beelining, was because of positioning on the tech tree. :)

I hope you'll include my suggested modifications in the old ACW thread (I think they are there), as well as the tech I forgot.

I've been reading atlases and drawing maps since I was 4, its a bit of a hobby.

Oh, Napoleons purposefully don't require Iron. Two reasons, 1: If one side loses all of its iron, it still can build an artillery unit; 2: Alot of Napoleons were made from bronze/brass.

Procifica:

I did add the tech that was missed. I updated the project plan and posted it on the ACW forum a few days ago. I will post the lastest version of the project plan on post #2 of this forum today as well.

Misfit

The tech tree has been split into three eras. Era 1 (1861 to mid 1862) has been completed.

The new unit artwork has been added for Infiltrator, Cavalry, Home Guard, Militia and Volunteer Divisions. Home Guards will not display in their nation's colour, rather they all appear as a uniform tan colour. I like the look since its dead obvious when you look at them, relative to any other unit, that they are wimpy. The Cavalry artwork in particular really adds something to the scenario. It was specifically designed as CSA and USA unit types.

Modifying the unit artwork has introduced a couple of problems;

1) can't seem to use paths to link multiple unit types to the same artwork (the default path is the CIVIII art/units folder. Its seems that if I try to use anything else it won't work). This may mean that I have to put multiple copies of the artwork in individual unit folders, significantly increasing the size of the V4.0 download

2) Moving the techs around does not eliminate the old connecting line from the previous tech tree. I haven't spent a whole lot of time thinking about this one yet, there is likely an easier answer to this.

The Unit table was updated to reflect the new unit abilities as defined in the project plan. Pop costs of units has been adjusted as per the discussion on the ACW thread.

Regards
Misfit

Misfit_travel

It seems that you are doing a great work with version 4.0.

I am looking forward to see this new version of ACW.

Best Regards

Rocoteh

I've updated post #2 with the current version of the project plan. This took into account our pop. cost redistribution and the final tech tree. (Components inside each tech haven't been finalized, especially wonders and city improvements).

Regards
Misfit

That's straight from the v3.x Unit Table. I copied it down exactly.

I also checked the editor settings for V3.x and a golden age lasts 5 turns.

I have no opinion on whether golden age should or shouldn't be in ACW C3C. I open to either idea.

Misfit

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
Thanks.

I may take the opportunity to indicate that I'm flying back to Sweden tomorrow, and may be unable to follow the forums the next few days. So should I go silent for a while, don't worry.

Have a great Christmas. I was entertaining a business colleague from Ulricehamn (near Gothenburg) a couple of weeks ago. He had such great things to say about Sweden that it made me want to go there.

Misfit

Top Bottom