SCENARIO: American Civil War - C3C only

The reason you can wipe out the US Navy with the starting CSA ships is that the AI is even more clueless wrt naval operations than land warfare. If we make the starting CSA fleet so weak that even the best human admirals (who are way better than me) will not be able to to beat the AI US Navy, a half-way decent human Union player will be able to wipe the starting CSA fleet with both hands tied behind his back. If initial CSA victory at sea is a virtual impossibility in MP games with experienced players, I think we should be content.

Re: healing in enemy territory: Since Battlefield Medicine is available early on, it's of limited practical concern, but what disturbs me about the current setup is the totally unrealistic way how pre-BM healing in "enemy territory" is restricted to certain areas, but totally indep of supply lines. In short, I say fill the gaps for now, and pray for a system in CivIV which bans healing when you cannot trace a line of supply.

The proposed new ironclad stats are a step in the right direction, but I still do not see why there should be a defensive advantage in ironclad warfare. Am I missing something?

Playing the Rise of Rome Conquest, I encountered the "retain culture on capture" option, and thought this might be something for ACW C3C (and perhaps ACW"). For those unfamiliar with it, this option simply allows you to keep the culture, and therefore the expanded culture radius, of a captured city.

The point would be that you would capture the countryside along with the cities, instead of the somewhat curious present situation, in which occupied territories consist of small city enclaves surrounded by unclaimed countryside.

New terrain - done
City alterations / removal - done
Tech tree - done
New artwork - done
New wonders - done
Revised unit costs - in progress

One problem I ran into with the new artwork was that is changed some of the units on the existing map. Therefore I have to check each unit to ensure: a) it has the correct artwork; b) it remains the correct unit type.

I'm on alpha version .7 of v4.0. I suspect I will have a beta ready in the next couple of days.

I'll need help balancing unit costs and tech costs from those willing to beta test. We have made quite a few changes and need some feedback on whether we improved.

Regards
Misfit

Originally posted by The Last Conformist
Playing the Rise of Rome Conquest, I encountered the "retain culture on capture" option, and thought this might be something for ACW C3C (and perhaps ACW"). For those unfamiliar with it, this option simply allows you to keep the culture, and therefore the expanded culture radius, of a captured city.

The point would be that you would capture the countryside along with the cities, instead of the somewhat curious present situation, in which occupied territories consist of small city enclaves surrounded by unclaimed countryside.

Yes, that would be a must in my opinion.

Originally posted by Misfit_travel
New terrain - done
City alterations / removal - done
Tech tree - done
New artwork - done
New wonders - done
Revised unit costs - in progress

One problem I ran into with the new artwork was that is changed some of the units on the existing map. Therefore I have to check each unit to ensure: a) it has the correct artwork; b) it remains the correct unit type.

I'm on alpha version .7 of v4.0. I suspect I will have a beta ready in the next couple of days.

I'll need help balancing unit costs and tech costs from those willing to beta test. We have made quite a few changes and need some feedback on whether we improved.

Regards
Misfit

I will help test when ready.

The first beta should be ready tomorrow (Monday). Changing the artwork created a problem with certain units types getting switched (ie HOME GUARD (SMALL) wound up as Division sized infantry units). As you can imagine, that's a lot of Divisions running around. I've checked (and started changing) all of the affected unit types.

Its slow going as each unit stack needs to be checked and validated against the order of battle from V3.91. I'm about 1/2 done the Union side and still have to do the Confederate side.

I anticipate I'll get it done tomorrow. I'll post V4.0 beta1 up tomorrow. This will not have been playtested for anything other than basic functionality. We'll have to adjust settings as needed.

Regards,
Misfit

Beta 1 of V4.0 is ready. Its 22mb in size so I'm waiting for Thunderfall to grant me temporary access to the ftp server to the get upload up in one piece.

I post a link as soon as I have it.

Misfit

Last Conformist:

I agree with getting a PBEM started. I've been playing a very stimulating game with eric_A. We are at week 48, 1861. My CSA troops have done a lot of hit and run attacks looting and pillaging cities, but I haven't been able to hold anything. At the moment I have the CSA Corps and a demi-division holed up in Dover & Wilmington. A goodly portion of the Union navy is bombarding me back to stone age, but I'm a thrust away from Philadelphia. I bypassed Washington (since it had between 4-5 divisions holed up there), but Baltimore was left a burning wreck.

Both Whizkid1950 and eric_A have started up another PBEM. We are all playing v3.91.

(For those interested, the thread for those PBEM are here .

We don't we play v4.0 as PBEM? I'm playing CSA with eric_A, so I'd rather play the Union for our match (if that's okay with you). We can treat it as a beta test and report in this thread on it.

Misfit

Goto to post#2 and download the beta release. I've renamed the scenarios subfolder from "ACW" to "ACWC3C" in order to insure that people can continue to play the older v3.x releases.

I'm looking forward to hearing the feedback. Many thanks to Last Conformist, dreadknought, Procifica, Rocoteh, eric_A, Whizkid1950 and Nolodan for their feedback.

Regards
Misfit

Originally posted by Misfit_travel
Goto to post#2 and download the beta release. I've renamed the scenarios subfolder from "ACW" to "ACWC3C" in order to insure that people can continue to play the older v3.x releases.

I'm looking forward to hearing the feedback. Many thanks to Last Conformist, dreadknought, Procifica, Rocoteh, eric_A, Whizkid1950 and Nolodan for their feedback.

Regards
Misfit

Hi Misfit, I downloaded and put the folder in the conquest folder and received the following error when loading.

missing entry in text/Pedialcons.txt. iCON_BLDG_CAPITOL.

I am able to open up the folder in the editor to make changes.

I should have some time to beta-test today.......dread...

I, for some reason, do not get the same error.

First thought when loading the thing: why is Map Revealed not enabled? I mean, many of the leading generals were fairly intimately familiar with enemy territory, and good maps were available. And you can no longer trade for maps before declaring war.

The new artwork looks great. But we should get those half-naked worker graphics for the engineers replaced, I think.

I've only loaded and saved the scen now. Might get time to start an actual playtest (as the Union again, seeing I'm going to play the CSA in our PBEM) later today.

Speaking of our PBEM, does me playing the South mean I should be the one setting the thing up? When do we want to start?

On the subject of the South going first, we could try out the new C3C option "Skip First Turn" for the Union. I do not know how the thing actually works, but this seems to be the kind of thing it's intended to achieve.

Ok Im up and running now. I forgot the art file needed to be moved also. Im running it through the civ content section with the files in the scenario section.

I will play test the Union side and report back turn by turn. I will be on and off through out the day as I am testing one other modded game also.

First thing I noticed is the REGENT (only choice) at start. Should other diff. levels be included?

The art I notice 1st is the multi-rifle unit......LOOKS TERRIFIC. and the new fortress art......ditto.....

morecoming......

Update------I agree the whole map should be revealed at the start.

I start the first turn by fortifying all my units-and selecting a few builds-applying wealth to mose very small cities until I decide what to build .

I like the look of the new tech tree alot but will take awhile to judge its speed.

Decided to research infantry tactics 1st (6 turns) w/o adjusting.

I feel the Union Skimisher is useless as compared to the volunteer at the same cost.

The Militia is about the best deal for a 10-12 shield city from what I see.

I advise it either has a little more offense (keep defense the same) or it costs a little less than the volunteer in order to make it have appeal. Probaly a bit more offense would be nice as a starting offensive unit and that way it could harrass small towns otherwise I doubt I ever use it because the defense on volunteers is so good.

I believe 8 of my towns went under-plague-disease effect on the first turn. Does this sound about right to you? I was thinking it might be a bit high.

All the art-work looks amazing-all that Ive seen thus far:goodjob:

BREAKING FOR LUNCH-----more later......still going through the towns.....the first set-up turn is a doozy----

I have the same load problem as Dreadknought, but don't know enough about the editor to fix it.

I was tinkering around as the Union on 3.91. That first turn to get everything set up is long, but it plays pretty short per turn after that. Will tinker with 4.0 when you get the load problem fixed or whatever next version you come out with.

Looks entertaining!

Originally posted by Klyden
I have the same load problem as Dreadknought, but don't know enough about the editor to fix it.

I was tinkering around as the Union on 3.91. That first turn to get everything set up is long, but it plays pretty short per turn after that. Will tinker with 4.0 when you get the load problem fixed or whatever next version you come out with.

Looks entertaining!

Hi, The load problem I had was that when you download the zip it creates 2 files (actually a file and art folder) and both of those files need to be in the scenario folder as 1 files contains the updated art-work. The missing art-work created the error for me and probaly you also. Go-back and download the file again-unzip- and copy and paste both files into the conquests scenario folder and it should start working at least it did for me. You probaly only have 1 file in the folder now. Then load up the game under the civ content screen.

Hope this helps......dread

Top Bottom