Quick question about building cities in vast swaths of jungle

Rosicrucian

Chieftain
I have this vast swath of jungle on one side of me (it's all surrounded by water so there's no enemy there to take it...yet...). I am wondering if this is a good idea or not.

Pro:
- will eventually be turned into good land
- enemies won't be able to settle there

Con:
- cities will suck until thejungle is clear
- clearing the jungle will take insane amts of time

What Say You? Good idea or bad? BTW this is not a small jungle, this is like a jungle 1/3 of my continent...

I dont think the time thing is a huge deal given that by about midway through the game you usually have more workers than you can use once your cities all have all their roads/mines/irrigation in place. Jungle can have some good resources later in the game, so it's fairly important to get your slice of those!

I'd say settle it when you've settled everywhere else.

Build cities around the perimeter of the jungle, rushbuild a temple in each, then simply sit back and let your culture occupy all the valuable potential resource squares. Set them at 'Wealth' production after that ;)

If you and the AI's already own some jungle, it's probable they'll already get resources. If this is the only swath of jungle on the continent, try and get it all! Also, if you have a graphic mod that lets you see the underlying terrain, try and get a fair mix of Grassland and Plain. If there's a nearby hill or lake, build near those, because you need commerce and production. And rush temples!

Build build build. Put two workers togeather clearing the jungle and watch it come down and watch a productive city pop up and hopefully coal for the future railways.:)

Build, of course. More, plan the cities as there was no jungle, since they're gonna disappear later.

Don't be shy. 2 workers? Noooooo, use like a dozen or 2. It takes a couple of turns to clean a square this way, or even less, depending on their speed. I'm not industious, use slave labor, and even under non-democratic governments it's still possible to clear 20 squares of jungle in record time.

Have you ever heard about the psychic powers of workers? When in auto mode, they seem to guess which grassland has a shield. Heh. Cheating AIs.

You've got all the time in the world, literally. So saturate that jungle with cities. If you're sharing that continent w/ another civ or if you've already traded maps w/ another civ I wouldn't wait for your culture to envelop the jungles. Once another civ finds territory near you they'll build cities wherever they can fit 'em in. The best defense is a good offense, expand, expand, expand.

"do or do not, there is no try."

Always have at least three settlers ready no matter if you've already finished expansion. In a War the AI might raze some cities, and you'll want those Settlers ready by the time you can cross the ocean anyway, if you're playing Continents.

Just a quick reminder for all you players used to earlier Civ games: the jungle is automatically cleared in the tile where you found a city (unlike Civ2). So just put your settler where you want the city and the jungle will disappear under it.

Build those jungle cities on the coastline. Build Harbors. Watch your population rise. :) Build Workers to clear jungle squares.

Also, if you happen to be a Democracy, jungle clearing times are reduced (workers are more efficient).

Originally posted by WOPR
Build those jungle cities on the coastline. Build Harbors. Watch your population rise. :) Build Workers to clear jungle squares.

Also, if you happen to be a Democracy, jungle clearing times are reduced (workers are more efficient).

Good tip.

Clear them all. Resources are determined from the start.
Reappearing resources, though, depends on terrain. If your cities aren't so close to each other, you have enough jungle and forest to in the prize ;) .

I personally don't mind having cities in jungles, there are often good resources and luxuries there, just don't go overboard. Maybe three or four 1-population cities just for the luxuries and resources, otherwise, jungles are just a plague(literally;). If you can, clear some of the jungle that you think may hold some strategic value. I am just a newbie, so don't blame me if i'm wrong. Cheers!:beer:

I've seen it speculated that ai civs are cheating and can see the resources because they invariably have cities in jungles where resources turn out to be.

Maybe not a cheat, however, as the ai civs seem to use every scrap of land they can, right from the start, and so will always appear to have known where resources were.

Originally posted by Hurricane
Just a quick reminder for all you players used to earlier Civ games: the jungle is automatically cleared in the tile where you found a city (unlike Civ2). So just put your settler where you want the city and the jungle will disappear under it.

Actually, that's not exactly true. What happens is that no matter where you build a city, it will provide at least 2 food, 1 shield, and 1 commerce. If you're buy a river you'll still get +1 commerce, and if you settle on a resource you will still get it's bonus too.

And if you settle on a jungle/food plain, that single tile won't produce disease (to my knowledge, anyway). However, you will still get the defensive bonus from it!

So settling on a jungle is perfectly fine, and is actually better than settling on grassland or plains! But only as a city tile...any surrounding jungles/food plains still can cause disease.

Same goes with Hills, so if you have a choice you always want to settle on a Hill (+50% defense to units in the city, plus the fortification bonus, plus the bonus for walls/city/metropolis...you do the math).

For what I know, there are no cities over forest or jungle. Right click and check it. Or raze a city you know was built over jungle, or use ctrl-shift-m.
The initial production is always the same, but it starts to get different as time passes. Still, it's a nice idea to settle over jungles, deserts, tundras and hills.
Flood plains, however, does produce disease, as well as nearby jungle.
As for the defensive bonus, I guess it doesn't apply once the jungle is gone.

Jungles can be a pain in the neck, especially when the city has just started out.

In my current game, I started my first THREE cites in jungles, and set others further away in different terrain. It was painstakingly slow, but I these jungles were next to mountains with lotsa resource. I had once city with 4 sources of iron in its radius and another with 3 sources of coal (cleared jungle tiles). Had my entire empire networked with railroads in the by the 17th century.

Sure you'd run into problems like disease and slow terrain development, but the jungle tiles between each city can hide really interesting surprises when resource types appear through research.

If you want to speed jungle clearing up, try about 4-6 workers per jungle tile. Clears 1 tile in a couple of turns. If you are on democracy, try half that many workers. Worked for me.

Oh one more thing, don't use barbarian/captured workers. They suck at jungles.

Top Bottom