Civ IV: Colonization

it sound pretty well but i have reasons to not like it that much.
First i want civ V second i hate the fact that i m restricted to a single age..

i want EPIC

@woody1

I'm sorry to hear that, I disagree. It IS more micromanagement to produce what you want / specialize your colonies than traditional civ models, but I appreciate building as much as warring so personally I like the extra detail in the game.

@Willem

The difficulty scaling was more about rebel/tory settings making it more difficult to get to independence, not sure of other modifiers the AI gets. The military situation was pretty standard as far as defending against the motherland so I see your point, it was pretty much unit spam and the euro AI couldnt beat you very easily. You did have to recapture any colonies that were lost before you could win. It was cool cause soldiers in your colonies when you declared revolution would be upgraded to Continentals.

Not sure what difficulty you topped out on, but I found most of the higher difficulty levels in rebel sentiment building. Have to get those elder statemen :)

Anyway a modified CIV AI should be interesting, and I would hope Better than the original lol.

Continental congress, real trade routes where you trade the goods yourself (with customized automated trade routes for loading/unloading cargo), various interesting diplomacy features for natives and other europeans, etc.
There are so many other unique mechanics of colonization that are much fun, I hope they can incorporate many of them, and all of you civ players should at least read up more on it when the info becomes available for the new one as you may love it!

I guess founding fathers will be similar as tech tree. But in Colonization they appeared in random order... so who knows. Liberty bells are like beakers. I hope it will not be 100% Colonization 1. Hopefully this will be improved... Portugal should be added and there should be a possibility to play as indians... just as you may as barbarians in barb scenario.

If they want to make 100% colonization then they should include trade and crash bug too:D

it sound pretty well but i have reasons to not like it that much.
First i want civ V second i hate the fact that i m restricted to a single age..

i want EPIC

You really should check it out first before you discount the game. This is not a Civ mod, it's an entirely different game with objectives that have nothing in common with Civ. There's no need for any other age, there's plenty to do with what you have. Hopefully they'll do a better job of redoing this one than they did with Pirates and Rialroads. If they do, it might end up becoming one of your favourite games. I enjoyed playing the original almost as much as playing Civ.

I guess founding fathers will be similar as tech tree. But in Colonization they appeared in random order... so who knows. Liberty bells are like beakers. I hope it will not be 100% Colonization 1. Hopefully this will be improved... Portugal should be added and there should be a possibility to play as indians... just as you may as barbarians in barb scenario.

If they want to make 100% colonization then they should include trade and crash bug too:D

Yea that's right, I think liberty bells are like beakers towards your Founding fathers for Continental congress, but you were able to choose which category you wanted to get next. That seems pretty easy to adapt to a tech tree style. Also though liberty bells made your colonies more productive, by a large margin actually if you were doing well. I can see that implemented fairly easily as well modifying existing CIV mechanics.

Extra options for playing natives would be sweet!@

Can't wait! :thumbsup:

JosEPh :D

Civ IV is my first Civ experiance, but from what I've heard about colonization from this site and others this seems very intriguing. I've become a total Sid fan, so I think I'm going to buy almost anything he has his name on from now on.

I hope the diplomacy is more indepth than what we get in Civ IV. My biggest complaint about Civ IV is that the diplomacy is fairly simple and not much to it. I want more options with other nations/colonies/vassals/whatever and this sounds like it might do just that.

Civ iv is also my first civilization game.The one i got used to play and my favorite game too.

It looks like a civ mod so much only because the models used to represent worked tiles(the little boats) are the same so i guess it would be wise to change them.Also i don't like the water too much,the reflection thing ..well doesn't work.Because let s say the units have their own scales right?(if they would be proper scalled we could'nt see them.)
But the map it scaled the same even if it's ocean lake or something like that.
But the ocean seen from plane let s say seems just a blue green mass like that one in Civ IV.I won't continue it cause it s only graphics wise and that s not that important.

Second,what time period this game has??
Does it allow for railroads and such??
And i guess natives are like barbarians...or not?
And cityes still produce food,commerce and something else that took the place of resarch?
heard strategic resolurces work different pls explain

Civ4 units have no equipment... but pioneers must have tools... So they must change the engine anyway. Also Wagon train must be something new.

But does Remake mean 100% or it has the same idea but still a little changed gameplay?

Also Wagon train must be something new.

Not really, there's a wagon in the Charlemagne scenario. Of course it doesn't do trade routes like the ones in Colonization should.

But does Remake mean 100% or it has the same idea but still a little changed gameplay?

No, according to the report I read it's going to be a 100% remake. The only thing that's going to be connected to Civ is the engine.

I know but I just hoped some improvement.. like you don't want to play civ1 in civ4 engine... that would be boring.

I know but I just hoped some improvement.. like you don't want to play civ1 in civ4 engine... that would be boring.

Oh I see, I misinterpreted. I thought you meant it would be more like Civ 4 in a colonial context. Chances are there'll be some changes in the gameplay from the original. I'm sure Sid and company have had time to think about some improvements since then, and computer technology has progressed enough to allow things that weren't possible back then. The reviews I read didn't say anything about that though.

A longer tech tree would be an improvement. The late game has a lot of focus on creating liberty bells. Having research as well would make the late game a lot more interesting, because you´d have to diversify more. Anyway, being able to do some actual research yourself would be a step forward anyway.

BTW, why is this in the BTS subforum? Seems out of place.

So Firaxis found the time to make a fancy new Civ4 mod but they didn't find the time to finish patching BTS?

I think this is another Firaxis product I shall not be purchasing. :)

Hope for 5 (FIVE) nations this time:
England
France
Netherlands
Spain
PORTUGAL

To create later:
US
(the French what were they call) Quebeq?
Surinam
Mexico
Brazil

Well for natives:
Aztecs
Incas
Sioux
Iroquois
(Maya ???)
Arawaks

Hope for more two new natives nations that over the original.

So Firaxis found the time to make a fancy new Civ4 mod but they didn't find the time to finish patching BTS?

I think this is another Firaxis product I shall not be purchasing. :)

Never ever purchase a Firaxis game until it has been out at least a year and undergone several patches. I never learned my lesson from Civ1 or Civ2. After Civ3, I finally learned. I waited with Civ4, and am quite happy with the final result (with Bhruic's patch).

I must say, I'm really pleased wih the announcement of Civ 4: Colonization! It's okay if it takes longer until Civ5, since I'm not done with 4 yet ;).

Judging from the pictures, the graphics look much better than standard 3.13 BTS. Would it be possible that they release a patch for BTS (or vanilla, warlords etc) to match the graphics of colonization. I'm sure many people could run the game this way.

Fabien what is the graphic difference between theme excepting the water

They said they'd use higher resolutions for all the textures and since the game requires a shader 1.1 card, I guess we'll see some differences anyway. Sid talks about it at Gamespot. So I guess we'll see many enhancements and it would be nice If they added it to BTS as well, but I'm quite sure they won't...

The Terrain does indeed look better, astleast in my eyes. Image

Top Bottom