The Civ Atlas: BNW Civs, City-States and Wonders on maps

Might want to update the dates on the maps. :p Great work on the updates of the maps themselves though, as always. :)

I love your maps but they make me sad. I just stare at the large white space of Africa and sigh unhappily.

Firaxis, y u no africa?

1. Civilizations
Spoiler :

• Vertical stripes: Countries whose historic or national features are used by a different but close civ. Eg.: Norway's "Norwegian Ski Infantry" is Denmark's UU.
  • Diagonal stripes: Overlapped civs. Eg.: Greece, Byzantium and the Ottoman Empire; China and Tibet (since Tibet is a popular demand, but is technically Chinese).
  • Horizontal stripes: Regions that share much (history, culture, in-game city list etc.) in common with a close featured civ. Eg.: Iceland and Greenland (Denmark); Central Asia, specially Afghanistan and Takikistan (Persia)

I love your maps but they make me sad. I just stare at the large white space of Africa and sigh unhappily.

Firaxis, y u no africa?

It's very Euro-centric. What are some good African civilization's that would fit the rest of the African continent? I can only think of the Kingdom of Congo but my African history isn't good.

My knowledge is not that good either and all I can think that could make some nice civs are Kongo, Mali or Swahili... I think. Then again, I don't know a lot about the continent.

It's very Euro-centric. What are some good African civilization's that would fit the rest of the African continent? I can only think of the Kingdom of Congo but my African history isn't good.

Kongo, Ashanti, Kanem-Bornu, Hausa, Swahili, Nubia, Sudan, Somalia (representing the earlier Somali states, not the screw-up of modern times), Great Zimbabwe, and others... There's plenty out there, honestly.

But indeed the civ series has always been Eurocentric. Virtually the rest of the world outside of the ancient Near East (which has always been stuffed together with Eurocentric history) and Europe has some gaps and silliness.

I would like to see a Mahdist Sudan civ. The battle of Khartoum is one of the most famous and dramatic in the history of Africa.

Argentina, Canada and Australia would not add much to the game. Boring civs with very little unique flavor. They are Spanish and English colonies, who are culturally European. I would even much rather have Hungary than any of these. Hungary at least has its own language, long history and unique culture.

Mapuche from South-America would be nice addition. Ashanti and Kongo would be solid choices from Africa.

Same thoughts as mine :)
Definitely no Argentina, Canada or Australia, I'm against "modern/colonial" civs
On the other hand, Hungary, the Mapuche and Kongo are all among my top remaining civs :king:

The regions that appear barren to a great geographical degree:

-Canada
-Australia
-Kazakhstan
-Parts of the Americas
-Small parts of Southeast Asia
-Large parts of Africa

As a believer in geographical representation, to me this screams that Civ 5 needs a Kongo or a someone from Africa. I would love a DLC for that. If they end up doing a third expansion, you can bet your money that's what we're getting - maybe even two

As a believer in geographical representation, to me this screams that Civ 5 needs a Kongo or a someone from Africa.

I completely agree with you. Actually I was so sure Kongo would be in BNW... At least we got Morocco, which is also great.

Hey, do we know what kind of CS Kiev and Ormus are?

The regions that appear barren to a great geographical degree:

-Canada
-Australia

-Kazakhstan
-Parts of the Americas
-Small parts of Southeast Asia
-Large parts of Africa

As a believer in geographical representation, to me this screams that Civ 5 needs a Kongo or a someone from Africa. I would love a DLC for that. If they end up doing a third expansion, you can bet your money that's what we're getting - maybe even two

But really, what are the likelihoods of Inuit or Aborigine civs? Who would their leaders be? What would their cities be named? I mean, I guess you could use Greenland for the former...

But really, what are the likelihoods of Inuit or Aborigine civs? Who would their leaders be? What would their cities be named? I mean, I guess you could use Greenland for the former...

Nobody is arguing for those civs. Just saying what areas geographically are barren and of those areas the strongest cases can be made for Africa

I am NOT a fan of the Inuit as a representation in this game, however I believe they would go along the Nunavut/NW Territory/Yukon route prior to Alaska and Greenland. Iqaluit would be the capital, I'm sure. Like you said, leaders? Who? Probably some kind of a mystical figure like Dido. It's a nice thought, though.. :king:

Updated to include all those new City-States. Let me know if there is something wrong ;)

Top Bottom