Destiny wins BAFTA award for game of the year

sherbz

Deity
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31862717

All i can say about this is - "what a freaking joke!" :mad:

Were the panel bought by the developers? Whats the point in awarding game of the year to what has been largely seen as a lacklustre failure. It averages about 60 on Metacritic. And it also won a number of "most disappointing game" of the year awards. The gaming industry and the awards they dish out have lost some serious credibility with this gaff.

IMO 2014 was a pretty poor year for gaming with a lot of let downs. I think there are probably 3 games that lived up to their hype and could be considered successes. They are:

Divinity
Alien Isolation
South Park Stick of Truth

But certainly not destiny.:confused:

Yeah I read about that on reddit, the BAFTAs are just as much of a joke of an award ceremony as any other one really, and getting down to SPIKE's VGA awards joke level.

Most of the choices aren't that bad though, still:
Category Winner
Best game - Destiny (Bungie)
British game - Monument Valley (UsTwo)
Debut game - Never Alone (Upper One Games)
Story - The Last of Us: Left Behind (Naughty Dog)
Performer - Ashley Johnson for The Last of Us: Left Behind
Artistic achievement - Lumino City (State of Play)
Audio achievement - Alien Isolation (The Creative Assembly)
Family game - Minecraft: Console Editions (Mojang/4J Studios)
Game design - Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor (Monolith Productions)
Game innovation - The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (The Astronauts)
Mobile and handheld game - Monument Valley (UsTwo)
Multiplayer game - Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft (Blizzard Entertainment)
Music - Far Cry 4 (Cliff Martinez, Tony Gronick and Jerome Angelot)
Original property - Valiant Hearts (Ubisoft Studios)
Persistent game - League of Legends (Riot Games)
Sport game - OlliOlli (Roll7)
Ones to watch - Chambara (Overly Kinetic)
Bafta fellowship - David Braben (Frontier Developments)

What the hell is persistent about LoL? I feel like there had to be a better choice for game design than Shadow of Mordor too, although at least it seems to have been decent with one really cool mechanic.

Yeah I read about that on reddit, the BAFTAs are just as much of a joke of an award ceremony as any other one really, and getting down to SPIKE's VGA awards joke level.

Most of the choices aren't that bad though, still:

What the hell is persistent about LoL? I feel like there had to be a better choice for game design than Shadow of Mordor too, although at least it seems to have been decent with one really cool mechanic.

Well LoL is a very popular online game. Although i suspect many more people play DOTA.

From what i can see Shaodw of Mordor looks pretty decent. Have not played it yet though. But from videos and stuff it looks a bit like batman only with orcs haha.

People care about video game awards?

There was one that happened years ago by I think it was BAFTA, where the game that won best original soundtrack was Guitar Hero, and the game that won best Nintendo game was Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

Considering how few games nintendo puts out some years and how much shovelware the Wii got that could very well have been one of the best games on the Wii that year.

EDIT: THey don't have a category for Nintendo.

It is for the 'best' game for Nintendo's platforms and looking through the list of 2009 Wii games there honestly weren't very many that I even recognize let alone seem like they were worth buying.

"Well LoL is a very popular online game. Although i suspect many more people play DOTA."

League has a ton more players than dota2. It's older and more established in asian markets. I'm not sure which is more popular in the US or Europe but league is huge in asia. Here's some articles for comparison though, LoL is basically blowing away every other online game right now in terms of players.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...-27-million-daily-players-67-million-monthly/

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/dota-2-vs-league-of-legends-by-the-numbers/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/do...r-world-of-warcraft-subscribers/1100-6419431/

Note this is only for dota2. Original dota mod is still played but there's no official centralized server so near impossible to get accurate counts of players and I would suspect most have migrated to dota2 anyway so I highly doubt the numbers rival LoL.

More on topic most of the big best of awards of kind of stupid anyway, they almost always go to the top triple A titles or someone tries to be too different like the year ign gave game of the year to that Journey game which could be argued is barely a game at all. I mean you're not going to see an excellent indie title like Bastion win anything except maybe best indie title.

I heard it actually won a BAF, and was expecting the T and A in upcoming DLC.

Top Bottom