(NEW)Players Guide to the C2C Combat Mod - Size Matters game option VERSION 2.0

Seems like folks are finding the first (and now fairly outdated) thread on Size Matters more than this one so I'm bumping it but also:
@DH: In the documentation links that lead to the Size Matters thread, could you link them here instead please?

Observation: Under the Capture Ships in Combat, the one not governed by slaves capturing but taking a "War prize", when getting a ship from any size group you always get a standard ship in return (with no xp or anything but I suspect that part in the War Prizes is deliberate).
I accept and even like taht when it is a larger group I attack, or a normal group, but when I attack a split group that is smaller than the standard it feels weird to get a standard ship. That also means that if the AI has split I have three chances of getting a war prize, an extra ship, instead of just the one chance, or if merged the 1 in 3 chance.

Maybe it is possible for you to set that the size captured always is 1 group size lower than the ships one attacks or maximally a normal sized, so when attacking a minimal group you never gain a ship, and when attacking a twice merged group one gets a standard ship?

Cheers

Seems like folks are finding the first (and now fairly outdated) thread on Size Matters more than this one so I'm bumping it but also:
@DH: In the documentation links that lead to the Size Matters thread, could you link them here instead please?

There is no link in the documentation threads to size matters that I can see.

Observation: Under the Capture Ships in Combat, the one not governed by slaves capturing but taking a "War prize", when getting a ship from any size group you always get a standard ship in return (with no xp or anything but I suspect that part in the War Prizes is deliberate).
I accept and even like taht when it is a larger group I attack, or a normal group, but when I attack a split group that is smaller than the standard it feels weird to get a standard ship. That also means that if the AI has split I have three chances of getting a war prize, an extra ship, instead of just the one chance, or if merged the 1 in 3 chance.

Maybe it is possible for you to set that the size captured always is 1 group size lower than the ships one attacks or maximally a normal sized, so when attacking a minimal group you never gain a ship, and when attacking a twice merged group one gets a standard ship?

Cheers
War Prizes is done in Python and would need to be converted to the code for me to adjust it's effects properly. Captive Volume management under Size Matters is still a pending development matter on all captive effects.

I know it's a breach of suspension of disbelief and even has some harmful balance implications (minor) as it can be somewhat exploited but not enough to throw games too far off I don't think. It'll be a while before I can address this one but I do hope to eventually.

There is no link in the documentation threads to size matters that I can see.
If you would add a link to this thread on the modders and players doc first posts I'd appreciate it.

I know you folks are busy balancing out this portion of the mod, but I'd like to say that you're doing an amazing job. I didn't understand the concept at first, but after playing around with it I can't do without unit merging.

I soiled myself when the Sumerians sent a stack of 57 rams led by one strength 11 ram to one of my border cities. That wouldn't be possible by default.

I also enjoy being able to assemble massive hordes of clubmen and decimate those damned animals that kill my explorers. :p

Anyway, keep up the great work. :)

I have this option enabled, and my units show strength like over 400 times more. e.g. split stone thrower is smth like 267.
Is this a feature? Can it be shown back to 0.66?

I think I maybe know what happened - only Size matters uncut was selected.

I think I maybe know what happened - only Size matters uncut was selected.
Yup. As the tooltip on Uncut states, you must have both if you're going to use uncut or this kind of thing happens. The author suggests not using uncut anyhow but if you rreally like the unit balances in the non-size matters game, you've been given this option to keep some units from being balance adjusted.

I know you folks are busy balancing out this portion of the mod, but I'd like to say that you're doing an amazing job. I didn't understand the concept at first, but after playing around with it I can't do without unit merging.

I soiled myself when the Sumerians sent a stack of 57 rams led by one strength 11 ram to one of my border cities. That wouldn't be possible by default.

I also enjoy being able to assemble massive hordes of clubmen and decimate those damned animals that kill my explorers. :p

Anyway, keep up the great work. :)
Thanks! I find this option pretty fun too but I've never gone past classical and I worry about a few things past that point so if you DO, give me some feedback on the more modern eras.

Hey, I am just wondering if there is anyway to disable this feature after I started the game. I have been in the game for 20+ hours, do not want to start a new one and this "size matters mod" is really ruining my experience. Thanks.

Hey, I am just wondering if there is anyway to disable this feature after I started the game. I have been in the game for 20+ hours, do not want to start a new one and this "size matters mod" is really ruining my experience. Thanks.
Not really. Would probably crash the game. You can TRY to do so by turning the option off in world builder.

As an aside, in what way is it ruining the experience?

Not really. Would probably crash the game. You can TRY to do so by turning the option off in world builder.

As an aside, in what way is it ruining the experience?
Thanks for the reply, seams like I have to restart it. sigh.

Regarding the mod here,
1. This mod adds quite a lot more unnecessary operation over the game, but did not provide a solution at all. For example, you have to "group" your units to gain a "larger" version of it, but this is done by placing all the units on the same tile, then click "group" then select all the ones that you wanna "group". You can group these units again and again, until you got to a good "level". So a level 3 unit, needs to group 9 more units from the beginning. I have to click each of them from production line, then group/group/group/group, besides, this "group" button sometimes does not appear for the newly placed units, I have to click the "split" then "group". And the amazing news is AI sometimes create a level 4 unit, which makes me almost unable to beat it, a level 4 unit means I have to group all 27 units, imaging how much work I have to do to create it. Did I say you can group only 3 units a time?
2. This mod makes the tech advance less useful in combat. When I get tech advance, I can produce knight with 10HP, AI can only produce horserider with 6HP, but I found AI got a lv4 horse rider, which has 12HP, and I bear no chance to beat it at all if I do not group my knight. And, I can not directly produce a lv2 knight, but I have to produce 3 of them, then put them on the same tile, then click the sometime-may-work button "group".
3. This made a combat way much more complicated. When I try to kill an enemy axeman, Hp3 axeman vs Hp6 horse rider, no fancy at all. Then AI splitted this axeman, for one turn, my horserider can only kill one, then the other two "minor" axeman became rats running around, then I have to chase and kill all of them. Hopefully, AI is not disgusting enough to slip this axeman again.

You cannot immediately create very large units. Per era you get one larger group type you can create. And if you want to create really large group types, you can always use ALT-click on the unit type (I think that only works in city view), that means creating this unit type over and over again.

Other than that, there are a few promotions that might interest you - especially the bottleneck promotion is absolutely great against large groups. You get an additional advantage per group size. Of course, there is the opposite promotion available for large groups (swarm), but taking these promotions might make the large (and expensive) group vulnerable against other large groups.

On the other hand, even small group sizes have their uses (other than the bottleneck promotions): For starters, it takes the enemy longer to "mop up", so this can be useful for delaying the enemy, especially if the enemy doesn't have a "blitz" unit (a unit that can attack several times per turn). And in peacetime, you can cover a large area that you can deny to other nations (if you have a "fixed border" civic where you can claim tiles that don't belong to anyone).

So trying Size Matters out- still a bit lost but having a great game.

Couple of queries:

Is there any way of distinguishing a merged unit from others when selecting units? (i.e. if there was a merged group of archers on a tile and a unmerged one can I quickly tell them apart?

I noticed that when I merge three units into one my maintenance cost reduces- is that intentional? Does it make sense? Not sure

Playing a lot of Hearts of Iron at the moment- it's excellent (III not IV yet) and the whole "combined arms" and creating a division really would be an interesting thing to see in Civ but probably not possible....

You can look at the promotions of the unit - any split / merge is displayed as a quasi-promotion: Merged into ... / Split into ...

The reduction of maintenance costs is intentional AFAIK. Think of it as saving on staff positions.

First of all, thank you for your candid reply. It helps to consider ways to eventually improve it. Size Matters is a side project and has ended up becoming a very core part of what I've modded here, which means it was an idea seed I played with but once planted it became a tree or vine very quickly. AKA, I'm trying to get other things done while chipping away at improving it but it can be a demanding little guy on my modding time. Point is, I try to resist putting too much time in to improve some of the more miscellaneous interface issues that might make it a little easier for a player but are nightmares of project concepts for me to engage in. Looks like some of my resistance to that has been your primary complaint. At some point I'll try to smooth some of this stuff over.

To reply directly to your comments:

1. This mod adds quite a lot more unnecessary operation over the game, but did not provide a solution at all. For example, you have to "group" your units to gain a "larger" version of it, but this is done by placing all the units on the same tile, then click "group" then select all the ones that you wanna "group". You can group these units again and again, until you got to a good "level". So a level 3 unit, needs to group 9 more units from the beginning. I have to click each of them from production line, then group/group/group/group, besides, this "group" button sometimes does not appear for the newly placed units, I have to click the "split" then "group". And the amazing news is AI sometimes create a level 4 unit, which makes me almost unable to beat it, a level 4 unit means I have to group all 27 units, imaging how much work I have to do to create it. Did I say you can group only 3 units a time?
As another has stated, you can only merge or split as many times up or down as the era count you're in. Thus it's pretty basic in prehistoric and gets more open ended as the mod goes as to how far you can go with it.

When merging you want to make sure all the units that would merge are not grouped with other units in selection groups. Select the 'lead' unit of the merge (the one that if he has any free promos will be maintained by the merged unit.) Then you'll be prompted to select the next two units to join with.

Yes, this can become some tedium but I've found interesting ways to organize myself to make it not so hard. I'm not entirely sure how one would make this any easier in terms of interface... a group to the maximum potential button? That could really end up causing you to make some serious goofs in your own intentions if you knew there were present units on the tile you DIDN'T want sucked up into that kind of merge storm. But it could be interesting. If I'm trying to build up a massive unit I'm usually merging as I produce them rather than trying to keep track of the count in powers of 3 before merging.

And yeah, it's intended that it gets to a point where you, the player, must determine if you have enough for your needs or not. Mis-judging between being overly built up or under built up is easy and that's the challenge this presents. It makes it very difficult for one singular city to ever keep up with training enough for your needs and in so doing, it makes it so that some of the benefits you may stack there in XP training bonuses MUST be diffused by other units from elsewhere.

The AI will tend to try to send to serious war units that are as merged as the limit allows. And that makes them incredibly dangerous. Defending cities on SM is a whole new ballgame that requires you have some more mobile built up defense forces because it becomes impossible to staff enough in every city to ensure adequate protection.

Yeah, it's supposed to be a new set of tremendous challenges. At the moment, players can be thankfull the AI is quite rudimentary and you can often find ways to undermine them as a result. Just wait til it the AI becomes fully addressed though. Most players here feel C2C, as a whole, is not challenging enough and some have even complained that they have found how to exploit size matters to the point that it's making the game far too easy for them. But once the AI is fully refined for Size Matters, it's going to be a hell of a challenge. PVP would be amazingly deep here.

2. This mod makes the tech advance less useful in combat. When I get tech advance, I can produce knight with 10HP, AI can only produce horserider with 6HP, but I found AI got a lv4 horse rider, which has 12HP, and I bear no chance to beat it at all if I do not group my knight. And, I can not directly produce a lv2 knight, but I have to produce 3 of them, then put them on the same tile, then click the sometime-may-work button "group".
This is true. And intentional. SM was intended to give the swarm of spear chucking natives a better chance over the invaders with gunpowder. Numbers can trump quality but quality can also trump numbers. In size matters, whatever makes a unit strong can almost always be undermined. Tech is not as valuable as it is in the core as it's impact is somewhat diffused, but it can still mean a LOT. It can, as noted, also mean how many times a unit can be merged, thus can have a huge impact on the maximum power. Currently merged units upgrading still maintain the same number of merge shifts upwards as well.

The fact that the merge only sometimes seems to work is because the unit must be capable of merging for it to show up as possible. Units must be uninjured and have not moved to merge. They must not be loaded when they merge. They may not be grouped. There are numerous reasons a unit is not allowed to merge but those are the top reasons to look at if you're getting thrown by an expectation that you should be able to and aren't being allowed to.

3. This made a combat way much more complicated. When I try to kill an enemy axeman, Hp3 axeman vs Hp6 horse rider, no fancy at all. Then AI splitted this axeman, for one turn, my horserider can only kill one, then the other two "minor" axeman became rats running around, then I have to chase and kill all of them. Hopefully, AI is not disgusting enough to slip this axeman again.
lol... that's ultimately the point of the option is to deepen and complicate combat, giving more dimension to it. If THAT, in and of itself, is a complaint that would have you opt against Size Matters, then in your rejection I see a form of a victory. This is one reason I wanted to ask for feedback. This is not an option for everyone, only those who currently feel that the core civ combat engine is far too simplistic and breaks immersion by not allowing for one to get a concept of certain measurements regarding units.

Remember how I said there's a counter for everything? There are some very valuable units in the game that can attack until either they or all opponents in the tile they are attacking are dead. Some in the late game will continue to attack until they have been injured (onslaught ability). This, along with blitz capability, is pretty much your counter to the 'split to scatter the defenses and tie up the attacker by taking advantage of it's attack limit per round' strategy. But it IS a strategy that the option presents and it's nice the AI taught you how that works isn't it? Now that you know you can take advantage of it yourself.

You cannot immediately create very large units. Per era you get one larger group type you can create. And if you want to create really large group types, you can always use ALT-click on the unit type (I think that only works in city view), that means creating this unit type over and over again.

Other than that, there are a few promotions that might interest you - especially the bottleneck promotion is absolutely great against large groups. You get an additional advantage per group size. Of course, there is the opposite promotion available for large groups (swarm), but taking these promotions might make the large (and expensive) group vulnerable against other large groups.

On the other hand, even small group sizes have their uses (other than the bottleneck promotions): For starters, it takes the enemy longer to "mop up", so this can be useful for delaying the enemy, especially if the enemy doesn't have a "blitz" unit (a unit that can attack several times per turn). And in peacetime, you can cover a large area that you can deny to other nations (if you have a "fixed border" civic where you can claim tiles that don't belong to anyone).
oooh... split to gain wide swaths of landclaiming... neat strategy I'd not personally yet envisioned. The option still reveals yet more to even its creator. Thanks for that footnote tmv! I may have to teach the AI that one someday.

The most important thing I think I need to teach the AI at the moment is to identify unusual OP threats they've encountered, produce a unit or group of units that can counter it, then hunt that OP threat down with the specific counters its produced.

Is there any way of distinguishing a merged unit from others when selecting units? (i.e. if there was a merged group of archers on a tile and a unmerged one can I quickly tell them apart?
I have had it in mind lately to see if I can make the number of displayed units reflect the group volume rating. I'll have to look into that. The promos usually give me an indication but they are so small it's hard to count the tines.

I noticed that when I merge three units into one my maintenance cost reduces- is that intentional? Does it make sense? Not sure
The answer you received is correct. It does go down a little compared to all the units being managed and maintained separately due to some efficiency in support chains and management structure with a larger group.

Playing a lot of Hearts of Iron at the moment- it's excellent (III not IV yet) and the whole "combined arms" and creating a division really would be an interesting thing to see in Civ but probably not possible....
I'd like to eventually do hybrid unit types for an option similar to but compatible with size matters that allows you to select 3 types of units and blend them into one hybrid type. Hybrid types would be untrainable but purely the result of mixing unit types in merges. The amount of effort involved in design would be intense but if I can get the graphic art to make a hybrid of existing types easilly enough than it shouldn't be a challenge on that end for development. The challenge would be the raw number of potential hybrid types that would need to be defined.

Last edited:
Here is something I do at the start that I don't think the ai does and it can help me a lot. I split my first unit 3 ways, then build 2 more and split them 3 ways too, meaning that if I can keep them alive, I can explore a lot of the map and pop plenty of goody huts. If my luck is good with them I can not possibly be caught unless I make a big mistake somewhere. Getting full techs and especially hunters really early is nice, but if you get those you have probably got the game won since that puts you so far ahead.

Here is something I do at the start that I don't think the ai does and it can help me a lot. I split my first unit 3 ways, then build 2 more and split them 3 ways too, meaning that if I can keep them alive, I can explore a lot of the map and pop plenty of goody huts. If my luck is good with them I can not possibly be caught unless I make a big mistake somewhere. Getting full techs and especially hunters really early is nice, but if you get those you have probably got the game won since that puts you so far ahead.
Been on my list to teach the AI to split the first unit for exploring for a while now. I don't personally spit out a few more to be further split because I prefer to get most goodies with wanderers because they don't get bad results from them, leading to more likelihood of tech advantages and hunters and such. But splitting that first stone thrower is important imo.

Yeah, always split my first one.

One thing I have noticed using Size Matters is that once Criminals start appearing in a city they tend to snowball, (I'm guessing this is Size Matters related) because I have never had this difficulty before).

Should I merge Enforcers or is it more effective to keep them separate and have three doing inspections?

Yeah, always split my first one.

One thing I have noticed using Size Matters is that once Criminals start appearing in a city they tend to snowball, (I'm guessing this is Size Matters related) because I have never had this difficulty before).

Should I merge Enforcers or is it more effective to keep them separate and have three doing inspections?
You can't merge enforcers.

Are you playing on current SVN assets? A lot has been done to limit some of this snowball. A city's chance to have a criminal emerge is reduced for each criminal present.

A whole can of worms was opened here...

Throwing in my two cents, with regard to the forced splitting idea...

Remember that in Vanilla BtS, "killing" a unit was never intended to mean 100% casualty. "Destroying" (as IIRC is the word they use) a unit meant inflicting enough damage to the extent that the unit could no longer operate as a cohesive fighting force. In other words, destroying a unit in Vanilla Bts already is a forced splitting. Split so much that the force scatters.

(See for example the war game Advanced Squad Leader. Only under the more extreme odds do KIA's result from taking fire. Most commonly "damage" is represented by "broken" units after a failed morale check. Broken units are not dead, but they are forced to flee and hide from enemies, and will not take orders unless a leader/officer can rally them again. They are effectively taken out of combat. I see Civ4 as doing the same, on a much larger scale: a defeated unit is not killed, but it is effectively unable to fight. Obviously these assumptions were introduced to make the game simpler, and I know people at C2C love realism more than simplicity. But ASL doesn't shy away from realism either.)

However, now that individual soldiers can be directly seen within the context of armies, now that there's a clear path from man to squad to regiment to battalion etc, we no longer use our imagination to fill in the gaps of what happens. (Examples: I use to imagine that units healing outside of friendly borders would recruit from the native population. I always assumed the soldiers of a melee unit don't all have swords; only the core force does, and they have auxiliary troops that could draw bows or scout ahead.) By introducing this mod, C2C is taking the responsibility of explaining what actually happens when a unit is destroyed.

I'm playing with this mod off until the team and community works through these issues. Originally I thought it might help save RAM, with fewer units and smaller stacks, but there are too many wildcards. With AI, with promotions and xp, and with these fundamental questions about the simulation. I do agree, that having larger and smaller forces adds to the realism and immersion. But to split all the way down to a single man?

Top Bottom