Newbie here, need a place to start

Therationalist

Chieftain
I played Civilization 4 in 2007-2008 and I figured I'd get it on Steam for a blast from the past. The Rhye's and Fall of Civilizations mod is the source of my fondest memories and I had planned on reliving them, but as I browsing the Wikipedia article on the game I noticed this mod and I was shocked at the scale and depth this mod provides. There are so many questions I could ask here but I'll just ask a few.

1. Can this be used on Steam version of the game?

2. Is there some kind of guide explaining all the new concepts that the game introduces? I'm the kind of player who tries to gain some understanding of the game by reading the manual before playing so it would help if such a massive mod came with some documentation.

#1. Yes

#2. In game/mod Civilopedia would be good start.

Welcome to C2C. :)

JosEPh

2. Attempts were made at one stage to produce a PDF of the pedia but things were changing too fast at that time. Also the pedia is dynamic based on options and getting that into a PDF proved to hard. Just explaining what changed when and how was difficult;).

Small hints:
- Hunting and subdued animals are important in the Prehistoric Era but continue to have some affect throughout the game

- Crime and Disease (Properties) become important in the Ancient Era and continue so throughout the rest of the game.

- there are a number of buildings that are automatically built during the game. They and buildings built with units are shown in the "Special" tab in the Buildings List in the City screen.

- Properties of the city are shown in the same area as the Resources available to the city. See the tabs at the top of that part of the screen

Thanks for the help. So do I just put the unpacked folder into the BTS mod folder to install it? It's been a while since I've used mods in the game.

When I started on this mod I just dove right in without reading a thing. Oddly that gave me a really good experience, sure I sucked at the game itself but I didn't care, there were all these crocodiles and things, and bears kept eating my guys, and my people didn't even know how to speak to each other yet! My first boat was a tiny thing made out of sticks tied together (it got eaten by a crocodile).

Also the ground was a lot more interesting, I had bamboo and brown rocky areas, really lots of oranges and browns that really added to the whole "prehistoric" feel.

So you don't necessarily have to read guides for this. Just start a game with the knowledge that you're going to be crushed horribly (not really, the AI is even more confused than you). And when there's something you don't know about, look up that thing specifically.

Same here. My first game of C2C was one of the most memorable due to not really knowing which technologies or building are a must, trying out things to find out they didn't work, etc. That helped keeping the game challenging for quite some time.

Next games were still fun, but as I knew what to expect and good starting strategies, I got bored faster when the AIs are lagging too much behind.

So, dive in and don't be afraid of not optimizing or even understanding everything!

I'll try to get that AI working better at some point here. It really is the next thing I intend to work on when I do get back to it. WHEN that is I'm still unsure. Kinda feeling it out.

I'll try to get that AI working better at some point here. It really is the next thing I intend to work on when I do get back to it. WHEN that is I'm still unsure. Kinda feeling it out.

Actually, I started a new game trying the new "nightmare" mode and disabling some options (like minor civs and barbarian world - which I just learned in Dancing Hoskuld's post that they were detrimental to the AI) reupped the challenge quite a bit ;)

My feeling is that the AI has difficulties being as good as humans with subduing animals - getting lots and lots of them, keeping them for myths. As it's a big part of tech in the early game, I'm able with this to make up for the AI's tech bonus with it. And there's the trick with snakes in order to get poison, poison crafting hut and ambushers that I don't think I've ever seen the AI use...

By the way, I'm impressed by all the changes since last time I played about a year ago, especially performance improvements and the new art for the buttons :)

Top Bottom