Favorite Settings

Normal really. Is everything balanced on normal. Also how fast does it go by

None of the gamespeeds are actually "balanced" imho.

I hit Ancient Era at ~6350BC, and Classical at 2820BC. It's 370BC and I just got Light Crossbow and Seige Weapons (catapults, Ballista, War wagons,etc.). Should've had Horse Archery but got sidetracked by a religion I got beat out on by 3 turns. :p Wind Mills and Watermill on the horizon. As is Literature.

Takes 1 to 8 turns for a tech and I'm Not the tech leader either. About 3 of the 12 AI are ahead on me. Some by as many as 8 techs.

But I do have the biggest empire by 1 city (the Greeks are about to eliminate the Canadians and they may pass me in number of cities (26 vs 25)).

I've had to fight the Japanese twice and the Pirates once (looks like it's gonna be twice here real soon for the Pirates, as I'm getting fed up with his repeated Bandit Footpad and Rider excursions on the eastern border.) And the Japanese are building up ambushers, Footpads and elephant riders on the south border again.

I have only been able to found 2 religions so far and have been beaten out twice by just a few turns on 2 others.

My mounted units (horse, elephant, bear, and bison) have kept my borders intact and allowed me to counter attack effectively, so far.

Animal spawns are almost a thing of the past on the portion of the map I can see. Much to be explored yet. Greeks have Sloops of War and I only have triremes.

JosEPh

I wanted to increase the Ancient, Classical, and Medieval research modifiers somewhat, but SO said that things were slow enough as is, so my hands are tied on that matter unfortunately.

Please don't! :nono:

I agree with SO, I really don't want them any slower! That's part of the Mod's problem too slow. Takes too much time game wise. Another reason I'm playing on Normal game speed instead of my normal Epic. I hope to make Medieval Era before v27! The game has to have a flow, a rhythm. But this constant attention to Snail and slower has skewed the game's flow, it's like playing in molasses or slow motion.

JosEPh

Snail use to be but with so many changes even it has been steadily becoming unbalanced.

I've moved to focusing on Marathon as my primary balancing platform, it's the best speed now IMO. Anything between Normal and Eternity should work OK, so long as you have a lesser or greater ability to suspend disbelief.

Well all I can say about that is Normal sure seems to flow better and I'll probably use it more often now.

JosEPh

hmm... I still like snail actually. I prefer a very long game that lets me really take in every era.

Well, After you've played the Prehistoric Era ten times and the Medieval era twice, you often want to get through the earlier eras faster. ;)

hmm... I still like snail actually. I prefer a very long game that lets me really take in every era.

Define very long game please.

Current game is at 120BC Classical Era on Normal and I started this game on 9-13-12. I play a minimum of 4 hrs a day and some days like yesterday all Day long (8+ hrs). Currently it can take up to 3 hrs to play thru 8-10 turns. This is all on Normal. How long will this game last (if no outside event like new mod inclusions don't break it)? A month, 2 Months?

Look I Like long games that grip you, not bore you. I once played a MoOIII game straight for 6+ months while posting about it at the Atmoo Forum. And it was a standard 3 arm spiral 250 star galaxy with only 5 AI plus the New Orions. And if anyone ever visted the Atmoo forum they All heard about the Evon 1.25 game. It took 2 years to finish that game by the way. A very popular and well liked user named Longspur (a newspaper writer by trade) called Evon 1.25 the Greatest MoOIII game ever chronicled. So I know how to play and enjoy Long games. (I also modded MoOIII back in the day).

Now I said all that to say I really don't see C2C as that type of game. Why? Because the 4X's are played differently here. And game mechanics here don't support that long of a game.

How many players report playing into and past the Modern Era any more? That used to be a common thing with RoM and even early AND. But from about v17 and on that has decreased proportionally with the content added into this Mod. Usually by late Classical or Early Medieval the outcome is predictable unless you put extreme effort into being a Diplomat vs a Warrior. But the current state of the Mod Pushes you to be the Warrior.

From Civ II thru Civ IV BtS I was a builder type player. Even thru RoM and most of AND that was true. But C2C has Forced me to be more of a warrior even while fighting the game itself to be a builder still.

How long should a C2C game last on each Gamespeed to be viable and fun?

JosEPh :)

Well, After you've played the Prehistoric Era ten times and the Medieval era twice, you often want to get through the earlier eras faster. ;)
For how often I get a stable multiplayer state enough to play the mod, I usually find every time I go through the Prehistoric era a whole new experience (techs have usually changed, new ones added, pathing redefined, new animals, new units, buildings, a few less of the older ones etc...)

Current game is at 120BC Classical Era on Normal and I started this game on 9-13-12. I play a minimum of 4 hrs a day and some days like yesterday all Day long (8+ hrs). Currently it can take up to 3 hrs to play thru 8-10 turns. This is all on Normal. How long will this game last (if no outside event like new mod inclusions don't break it)? A month, 2 Months?

Look I Like long games that grip you, not bore you. I once played a MoOIII game straight for 6+ months while posting about it at the Atmoo Forum. And it was a standard 3 arm spiral 250 star galaxy with only 5 AI plus the New Orions. And if anyone ever visted the Atmoo forum they All heard about the Evon 1.25 game. It took 2 years to finish that game by the way. A very popular and well liked user named Longspur (a newspaper writer by trade) called Evon 1.25 the Greatest MoOIII game ever chronicled. So I know how to play and enjoy Long games. (I also modded MoOIII back in the day).

Now I said all that to say I really don't see C2C as that type of game. Why? Because the 4X's are played differently here. And game mechanics here don't support that long of a game.

How many players report playing into and past the Modern Era any more? That used to be a common thing with RoM and even early AND. But from about v17 and on that has decreased proportionally with the content added into this Mod. Usually by late Classical or Early Medieval the outcome is predictable unless you put extreme effort into being a Diplomat vs a Warrior. But the current state of the Mod Pushes you to be the Warrior.

From Civ II thru Civ IV BtS I was a builder type player. Even thru RoM and most of AND that was true. But C2C has Forced me to be more of a warrior even while fighting the game itself to be a builder still.

I like the techs to take long enough for me to keep up and long enough for a potential war in every era so I can have an experience with every new troop interaction. It does frustrate me that the AI isn't able to keep up enough to make it possible to only defeat one enemy in a given era at a time, and never is capable right now of only putting up enough of a fight to make wars reach a near stalemate point (the rare times I've experienced a truly well matched ai foe are the times that make civ most memorable). But it is getting better every month with Koshling working at the AI helm.

I also think Global conquest should be a goal for any civ to reach prior to space exploration (I also think that this is why we are currently in RL delaying space exploration...) Reason being, any technologies capable of making us truly effective as space travelers is also going to naturally be a huge military edge for a nation, thus we hide all the things we know about new propulsion systems and so on until we need to use them next in the war to end all national boundaries that is inevitable to come. I'm trying to say, I don't think our world leaders will allow the mess we have here with international politics fouling up the unity of our species as we ply forward into space colonization.

Point being, for now, I'm not concerned that I can't make it to the late game era. It's not really ready to be played yet I don't think. If I felt I was in a race to experience those eras, I'd want the game sped up in the beginning and slowed then but if I chose a faster speed cuz I wanted to get there quickly, I'd regret it once I was there, so better to just play patient all the way through.

Spoiler :

Good post :goodjob: Except man I hate how americans put dates like this 9-13-12, there is NO 13th MONTH!! :mad:

I think between 18-48 hours is a good amount of time for 1 game of civ personally.
Lets say you play around 2 turns per minute on average, this would mean to play 7200 turns it would take 60 hours.
Thats about right I think albeit a tad too long - but considering the game most likely won't last the full amount of turns its not too bad.
It would be good to speed up the ancient era and even prehistoric a bit more. It is frustrating having to invest so much time and then be somewhat unsatisfied with the game 'situation'. At this point you kinda want to restart but the thought of having to go through all that again is simply too much and thus would discourage LOTS of people from ever playing again imo.

Simple solution would be to speed up the early stages a little bit more so people can get to that point in the game where players often decide how comfortable they are in the game- if its worth continuing etc. I think this point would be once you have like 8-12 cities, contact with a lot of the civs, boats etc.

:lol:
Yes our dating procedure is MM/DD/YY while most euro derived cultures are DD/MM/YY.

So I should spend more time typing to post Sept. 13th, 2012. Or is even that improper for the British Empire and it's Colonies and should be 13th Sept., 2012? :mischief: :p

JosEPh :D

I think between 18-48 hours is a good amount of time for 1 game of civ personally.
wow...

For me, I'd think a good full game that would go all the way to the end of the tech tree would be minimum 300 hrs.

300 hours.. that is so much time. Imagine what you can do in 300 hours! You must spend 15 minutes on each turn or something.

Some turns, sure. But I like to let the game have time to be a game of its own in each era. Its not like I want to just sit down for one session and have the game over by the end of it. I want a good fully encompassing strategy game like civ to last months to completion. (Though it would help on that level if the ai stayed competitive all throughout which I know we're working on but still...)

Top Bottom