C2C - Transhuman Era

(edited)

Oh don't get me wrong I love Muppets in space (I am a big fan of Farscape) and I am glad we have Star trek inspired technology today. ....

In fact ...if it were not for the coders like AIAndy and Koshling we could not do half the stuff ...

I am all for storytelling and imagination, I just think that we as a project could have cool plausible technologies without having to resort to "space magic". I mean we have Time Travel on the tree for goodness sakes! :lol: How much more do you want to go?

I think there is a mostly distinct line between harder and more plausible / speculative science fiction (more 2001, Alien/s and Prometheus, Blade Runner, Star Trek (next gen onward) and fantasy/fantastic stuff (more Star Wars, Farscape, John Carter, Fifth Element that is in the realm of Arthur c Clarke's coined ("any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic") .

The difference, in my opinion, is the line of plausibility, in which more and more, your subconscious has to suspend disbelief to place yourself in it's reality, and you know it is less likely to happen. That can still be enjoyable but can separate people from wanting to play C2C because they are less likely to see themselves actually living in that world.

This opens up debate for Sci-fi realism on where it crosses the line. Since the future hasn't happened yet, the Speculative / Near Future needs to stay grounded in possibility, as this is the close future that we all today want to be, could be living in, (or are trying to avoid - see politicians :( ) Maybe there should be a Speculative/ near future era before Transhuman?

The Speculative Era could be about starting making tech dreams come true - before AI takes off, solving diseases, making smart drugs, solving major political and geo-graphic issues, deeper or better human income disparity, immediate world consequences, tech improving life, virtual reality, automated houses, living ongoing virtual worlds becoming possible, projected holographics (yes being worked out right now, see youtube videos), clear glass computer displays, Think Minority Report / slight Avatar near future tech, V-tols (moller sky cars, and vertical take off vehicles), starting to explore planets in our solar system and mine asteroids, pretty much anything that's possible in the next 20 years. this is the world of immediate tomorrow that we can create today. think aimed at becoming blade runner, back to the future 2. looks like today but is starting to change. Plausible slight utopia / dystopic world changing scenarios. Not full on Sci-fi.

The Transhuman Era is all about trans-itioning to the future, crossing that line from the modern age, and the near future to escape to a better one. it is the line where things start to change from what we know. humans become integrated with machines, nanotechnology takes off, longevity becomes possible, full body organs are printable on inkjets(starting to happen btw) and can be replaced/upgraded. true ai becomes a reality solving problems exponentially and collectively. (the singularity event is where ai reaches a point where it takes over in evolving the future and human society to the extent where it takes over). Freely exploring and traveling the solar system, thinking about sending out probes to other solar systems. think actual starting actual star trek, ion drives, possible mars 1st colony, established moon base. Near future still but not full on full science fiction. Science starts crossing the line faster slowly making slightly impossible things start to become possible. Think the start of Star Trek Enterprise, Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card, etc. The world past the modern era.

The galactic eras can start being plausible, traveling to the stars with great effort and technical limitations, and then evolve into the more fantastic, Think Star Wars, Prometheus, Battlestar Galactica, etc. Fifth Element, Farscape, light sabers, more far galactic.

In my opinion good speculative science is more possible and less fantastic. as less believable physics, out of place (more cartoonish) humor, and more implausible ideas break that line where science fiction becomes less of an exercise in what could be in our real future, and more of a that's fun and cool but becomes a different fantasy world. I like muppets and Farscape and the fifth element also, but you have to admit that Jar Jar crossed that line a little. I think that the latter end of the the galactic era (or selectable fantasy type alternate eras) is the place for heavily crossing the line into deeper fun, light sabers, at-ats, technobable, indistinguishable from magic, altering/ engineering reality, free range projectable holo decks, floating structures, cross planet teleportation, deep time travel (more than sending a unit or a set of techs).

Storytelling and imagination should be slowly and plausibly implemented into Farther future eras, mostly to start keeping the more distant future from degrading into adding x new tech and, x new unit, with no gameplay changes, and made optional. Gameplay pathing and possible scenarios, like scripted major events like an apocalypse or a war of the worlds event(that was already suggested by hydro(I believe) using Maniac's Alpha Centauri mod/Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri game) should be selectable/uncheckable game options or alternate eras (alien invasion era alternate era) and be more plausible triggered (slightly randomly timed please) when it is more likely to happen. (example SETI or planetary event triggers alien contact/ or invasion). I'm all for including Sci-fi ideas in as smart and plausible way (at first at least, until tech progress long since far enough to allow it to possibly happen. "space magic" should be optional, maybe a Space Magic end game alternate era. Projectable reality engineering with transmuter projected holograms, transcending into energy beings, traveling instantly across the universe, end of the time/ earth/solar system exploration, god game control,etc. this is true space opera fantasy, this is less realistic and fun for me, and I would play it less/ should be optional.

All props to AI Andy, Koshling, and all the molders and of course you Hydro , for making this possible. I look forward to the new modders and players helping you guys make C2C even better.

@MrAzure

Ok some problems. Please chnage the following ...

Aquaculture
Req Techs: Ecology AND AND Marine Biology

Notes: You had Ecological Engineering instead of Marine Biology. Ecological Engineering is much farther down the tree and redundant if Marine Architecture requires it too.

Exoplanet Discovery
Req Techs: Cloud Computing AND Super String Theory AND Radio Astronomy

Notes: Seems like Radio Astronomy would be something you should know before discovering Exoplanets.

Biofuels
Req Techs: Gene Manipulation AND Fuel Cells AND Aquaculture

Notes: This is to include algae based biofuels that can be farmed via aquaculture.

Biomechanical Harvesting
Req Techs: Cloning AND Biofuels AND Extreme Sports

Notes: Extreme Sports would give data needed about the limits of the body.

Military Robotics
Req Techs: Cyberwarfare AND Biomechanical Harvesting AND Machine Learning AND Unmanned Air Vehicles

Notes: I think Unmanned Air Vehicles should be added so the experience of Drones can be applied to other military robots.

Ecological Engineering
Req Techs: Biofuels AND Climate Models AND Fire Suppression AND Volcanology

Note: I just think this needs more science tech requirments.

----

And a question ...

1. Why's Photo Realism require Exoplanet Discovery. How are they connected?

Thanks in advance! :goodjob:

done!
changed..
Photorealism = Virtual Reality AND Gesture Recognition AND Media Psychology

I think Motion Capture is part of Gesture Recognition. Motion Capture is needed to make photorealistic art.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_capture

ill update photorealism's pedia with a paragraph of this.

I
1.The Transhuman Era is all about trans-itioning to the future, crossing that line from the modern age, and the near future to escape to a better one.

2.This opens up debate for Sci-fi realism on where it crosses the line. Since the future hasn't happened yet, the Speculative / Near Future needs to stay grounded in possibility, as this is the close future that we all today want to be, could be living in, (or are trying to avoid - see politicians ) Maybe there should be a Speculative/ near future era before Transhuman?

1.:):):):):)
Yes! This is my philosophy for the Transhuman Era, i think the real future starts in late Transhuman Era, and thats why when i added techs my main priority was to make them a stepping stone from Modern to Galactic.

Early Galactic = in our own solar system
Middle Galactic =interstellar
Late Galactic = wormholes and dimensions

2. Well x77 to x80 to me is 1990 to 2020, and all the techs in those rows are being developed.
Maybe we can some new Techs between x76 to x78?

The reason some techs like Holographics are later in transhuman, but are currently being developed now is because of Commercialbility. This means when the masses have access to the tech and its in commercial use, instead of just several experiments or research papers.

This are the rules i follow:

Azure's Seven Rules for Techs
1. Is their evidence in the scientific community or has it appeared in science fiction?
2. Is it commercially available, a new way of thinking, or a discovery relevant and worthy in that time to society?
3. Is it general enough to cover a group of similar technologies?
4. Can it have a series of buildings, units, promotions, wonders, civics, or/and change gameplay?
5.Can it be linked to previous and future technologies?
6.Is it not too controversial to most people or too politically charged?
7. Does it bring something interesting to the game, is not too complex in understanding, and is not similar to another Tech?

Revised Transhuman and Galactic Tech Tree
Spaced Out Transhuman Era (thanks Koshing!)
Add Solar Era (starts x110) (one solar system)
Add Interstellar Era (starts x139) (many solar systems)
Add Galactic Era (starts x185) (whole galaxy and dimensions)
String analysis ends in x229

EDIT: move Interstellar Colonization to x143
EDIT: move Interstellar Trade to x 145

Use Your Right Direction Button to Move
Spoiler :

Whom ever is taking this challenge on remember to change the "Hints" section also.

Which GameText file contains the hints?

It would be out of sync as forming the structures in the human body requires fine control. Uncontrolled proliferation in the eyes for instance would soon end up with no light getting to the sensor cells or the signals not reaching the brain any more. Body openings would clog, skin would not reform as skin as the specialized cells do not form the usual layers any more. Complex structures like the kidneys? Say goodbye to their functionality.

Correct. However, one could make superhumans through extremely advanced genetic engineering and recombination, which would be perfectly possible in the Galactic Era. I see no reason why for instance we could not realistically have humans with wings in the Galactic Era using nanotech and DNA engineering.

@MrAzure: Do you have any new unit ideas that would go with the new techs? If so, please try to find graphics for them before posting them, so I can actually make them a reality.;) I am very impressed with your work on the TH era so far and look forward to seeing what you have in mind for the Galactic Era gameplay-wise.:goodjob:

Early Galactic = in our own solar system
Middle Galactic =interstellar
Late Galactic = wormholes and dimensions

Well sort of. When Setting up Galactic Era with Civ Fuehrer we set up diffrent steps ...

1. Moon Colonization
2. Mars Colonization and Asteroid Mining
3. Solar System Colonization (Like moons of Gas Giant)
4. Star Colonization (Like Reaching Alpha Centari)
5. Galaxy Colonization (which probbly we will not get to due to lack of graphics)
5. End game Time Travel and Diemnsion

These were spread out over the Modern through Galactic Eras where first exploration came in the Modern era (moon exploration and probes) to the final techs that allow you to win the game (Ascension Gate [Scientific Victory] and Multiverse Ship [Space Victory])

Take a look at the Galactic Era threads too.

The Ascent of Mankind
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=345273

C2C - Galactic Era
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=435974

C2C - Aliens
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=428650

C2C - Space Terrain
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=453005

Wormholes Mod
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=328114
This is a now defunct modmod for Star Trek that adds a Wormholes system (read on to find out more about it). It is defunct because deanej has merged it with the main Star Trek mod and is now standard as of 4.0.

Therefore, the download has been removed, so as not to confuse people. If you want the source code... (the original source code), please either post that in this thread or PM me.

Otherwise, this thread can be used for discussion about Wormholes, as set up in 4.0.

Original Description:

This is a modmod/modcomp for Star Trek 3.25 that adds Wormholes to the game, allowing instantaneous travel from one random point on the map to another random point on the map, now upgraded to v1.52 (as of 6/1/10), and now included in Star Trek Expanded by apenpaap (as of STE v1.2).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=327056
Cloaking Devices 1.2 for Star Trek 2.37 (Now included in 3.0!)

This is a now defunct modmod which expands cloaking devices- by giving you the ability to cloak and decloak your ships. It is defunct because deanej has merged it with the main Star Trek mod and is now standard as of 3.0.

Therefore, the download has been removed, so as not to confuse people. If you want the source code... (the original source code), please either post that in this thread or PM me.

Otherwise, this thread can be used for discussion about Cloaking Devices, as set up in 3.0.

@Master Hydro

I meant to say storytelling and imagination should be pushed off from the near future eras (in my last response), and that they should only be optional parts of later eras, if at all. Gaming is about fun and imagination, but Civ is more about diving into and playing a detailed and deep realistic simulation to a degree. What other game builds such a detailed and encompassing world? I doubt many, and C2C multiplies that many times. Thank you Hydro for responding to my points, I want to make sure I clarified my position. I deeply care about your exploration of the future in C2C.

@SIR Mr Azure
You are creating an outstanding accomplishment, thank you for entertaining a few of my ideas as it is so very important to me, I wish I had made time to add similar ideas when I tried to start this thread. Please take some time to peruse the C2C threads for my ideas (and others), as you have time, because I have floated a lot of ideas for the future, alas in other threads for C2C, that I believe are worth mining for.

I hope I can continue to participate with you MrAzure and Hydro in discussing some ideas. (sigh, I have so little time, I need to make more).

(Thank you for responding guys, you made my day, maybe at lot more.)
I see great things in both C2C's future and future eras :)

@MrAzure

1. Modular Armament and Forensics techs are missing their quote text.

2. Knowledge Management use to be a requirement for Automated Traffic and Mesh Networks. Can you work the tech back into your new techs?

Perhaps Cyberwarfare could require Knowledge Management instead of Virtual Reality since Virtual Reality is a requirement for Knowledge Management. So something like this ...

Cyberwarfare
Req Techs: Modern Warfare AND Cloud Computing AND Knowledge Management

Also ...

Rapid Protoyping
Req Techs: 3D Meshes AND Knowledge Management

This would cover both Virtual Reality and Communications Networks.

What do you think?

In addition please get to a stopping point and then merge all your techs into the core CIV4TechInfos.xml file. That way when i upload it to the SVN it will be in the core. Note this includes the changes you made to existing techs.

Your other text can be added to the core text files as well. We can leave you a modular folder however for any buildings you add in the future.

I look forward to your final draft and you becoming a full C2C team member with SVN editing capabilities. So far all your stuff has been well made and with only minor errors. Great job dude! :goodjob:

@MrAzure

Looks like Neural Networks is dead end now too. It was needed for Automated Traffic, Cognitive Robotics and Mesh Networks. How about this ...

Cognitive Robotics
Req Techs: Cloud Computing AND Communications Networks AND Neural Networks

Also derivatives is a dead end techs so I am thinking ...

Conglomerates
Req Techs: Communication Networks AND Derivatives

Thanks again in advance! :goodjob:

@MrAzure
I look forward to your final draft and you becoming a full C2C team member with SVN editing capabilities. So far all your stuff has been well made and with only minor errors. Great job dude! :goodjob:

Hydro even said, you do it with less errors than i did:p:blush:;)

Hydro even said, you do it with less errors than i did:p:blush:;)

I make a bunch of errors I just have an organization chart I follow to minimize errors. Most of the errors i make are in the prereqs because sometimes a second opinion is needed lol.

In Game Transhuman Era Tech Tree (Cloud Compuiting to Universal translator)
*Note i still need to add 8 techs to last row..
Spoiler :

@SIR Mr Azure
You are creating an outstanding accomplishment, thank you for entertaining a few of my ideas as it is so very important to me, I wish I had made time to add similar ideas when I tried to start this thread. Please take some time to peruse the C2C threads for my ideas (and others), as you have time, because I have floated a lot of ideas for the future, alas in other threads for C2C, that I believe are worth mining for.

I hope I can continue to participate with you MrAzure and Hydro in discussing some ideas. (sigh, I have so little time, I need to make more).

There is a very plausible chance we might break the 1,000 Tech barrier. Right future i like your ideas so please keep contributing. Your radiation idea can actually work if a society has an enough understanding how to accerlate the DNA changes caused by radiation and mutate its people with new properties without harming them. The way you would do that is by havibg nanobotics pinpoint radiate the nucleus of every cell in a persons anatomy and then have some sort of incubator that speeds up the process. for that, if it were added to the game would be in middle Galactic Era..society will need to know how to make artificial stars ,(know ho. to create them is another matter)...Artificial Nucleosynthesis tech might work in Transhuman, but the its negated because Transhuman Era society doesnt have the production power to make nanomachines at a grand scale yet for every cell in the body, and every cell will need a different process since the nuclei has different code, "stem cells".

I wanna rename Advanced computers to something more descriptive..any ideas?

It leads to reprogrammable chips..
Obsolescence is the curse of electronics: no sooner have you bought a gadget than its hardware is outdated. A new, low cost type of microchip that can rearrange its design on the fly could change that. The logic gates on the chip can be reconfigured to implement an improved design as soon as it becomes available—the hardware equivalent of the software upgrades often pushed out to gadgets like phones.

@hydro

So what are the conditions to get this techs to SVN?

edit: ADDED sophisticated lasers AND Virtual Society

Spoiler :

TAB]Sophisticated Lasers are lasers composed of several wavelengths and have new properties at the subatomic level. Laser-based-communications between transistors (Wires were replaced with Mesh Networks) carry nearly all conversations and commerce, especially between Exocortex networks, Virtual Reality nodes, holographic structures, artificial nerons, and have made minutarized satellites a reality, giving true automated GPS to the civilian population. [PARAGRAPH:2] Certain lasers like the A.Z.U.R.E have the abilty to cool and trap atoms to generate "ultra-cold" states of matter on Earth. This has enabled liquid hydrogen virtually obsolete in laborotories toallows more accurate experiments to take place. [PARAGRAPH:2] Experiments with sophisticated lasers have been successful in creating "ultra-hot" states of matter that were previously found only deep in space or at the center of stars by ignition. Also, in the field of cosmology, this extraordinary light source has enabled the creation of states of matter never seen before.The hottest 'stuff' on Earth can now be made on a table top in an optics laboratory, allowing scientists to extend the utility of the photon and advance their understanding of nature's fundamental building blocks."

I added them to the SVN. Mr.Azure is good to get acess to editing the SVN himself.
=) =) =) This will help the mod team add content, and as stated ill post techs i add first here..well PM me how do i get started with SVN..do i need to make an account somewhere (sourcefourge??)?

@MrAzure

DH just reported that you chnaged Cloning to have no tech requirements. Before it had Gene Manipulation tech. Was there a reason you removed it without giving it new tech requirements or leaving the old ones?

EDIT: I found the problem ...

<OrPreReqs>
<PrereqTech>BIOINFORMATICS</PrereqTech>
</OrPreReqs>
<AndPreReqs>
<PrereqTech>FORENSICS</PrereqTech>
</AndPreReqs>

It should be TECH_BIOINFORMATICS.

I will fix that for you. Be careful next time.

Top Bottom