Europa Universalis IV

Ooooh, this looks awesome!

And yeah, so do the graphics. Finally I get a complicated game like EU3 (or at least complicated compared to others) with some delicious eye-candy as well!

Graphics are nice if you are able to run them, CK2 pushes my computer to the limits as-is. I'm more interested in the trade route mechanics and monarch personalities they are hinting at in the articles.

I think that the new graphics look nice, but I'm not so sure about the borders. I'm definitely much more interested in the mechanics, though if it looked like arse, I'd be much less inclined to play.

One thing I haven't heard much talk about are the heads at the top of the screen. I think the one they got rid of from EU3 was the merchant, but there seems to be a new system, with something to do with a slash... maybe the maximum number of those characters varies?

Though I must say, I'm surprised it looks so similar to CK2. I know they've been upgrading Clausewitz as they moved to Vicky, and then CK2, but I would have expected a new one for EU4. Or maybe it really is different, but just looks the same.

They're not using the CK2 map, just the graphics for the map. From what I've seen, the provinces are the same as EU3.

I'd wager some of what is in these screenshots is a placeholder, given the game was just announced and the release is several months away. We'll have to wait for dev diaries.

Well the graphics are a great improvement already regardless. My concern though is if EUIV lacks features present in EUIII+expansions, which then get included in its DLC/expansions. I don't really want to buy similar expansions (like a Napoleonic era one) all over again...

Well the graphics are a great improvement already regardless. My concern though is if EUIV lacks features present in EUIII+expansions, which then get included in its DLC/expansions. I don't really want to buy similar expansions (like a Napoleonic era one) all over again...

You know that's exactly what's going to happen, right?

That happens in every game. It took an expansion for Civ5 to add religion, something similar will probably happen with EU3.

That happens in every game. It took an expansion for Civ5 to add religion, something similar will probably happen with EU3.

Yes, but the difference compared to EU3 is that there are no expansions, just somewhat extensive DLC. Like paying for Espionage, Religion, the civs, and whatever else came with G&K separately.

G&K added several mechanics, religion, espionage, civilizations, units, techs, etc.

What is the difference between extensive DLC and an expansion in that case?

G&K added several mechanics, religion, espionage, civilizations, units, techs, etc.

What is the difference between extensive DLC and an expansion in that case?

By extensive DLC I was referring to EU4. By expansion I was referring to G&K.

The Europe map looks slightly better than it used to. It actually looks much more like EU: Rome's map than CK2's.

Johan in the Strategy Informer interview that EU4 is based of off EU3 DW, instead of redesigning from the ground up like EU3 was.

Top Bottom