What boardgames did you just play?

That's a fun game to play. Can get pretty funny at times.

I know this was more about in depth strategy game sessions but I find it hard to get a group of people together for those, and like to keep them on the pc. For games all the social party style ones are my favorites. Another super cool one in the same mold as apples to apples is cranium: party playoff. There's a field of 32 nouns separated into brackets by types such as activities, places, people. Then you fill out a prediction of what will win. Rounds are then done by drawing a adjective and it goes to a vote of which noun best satisfies the objective just like apples to apples, except that everyone votes. The goal is to make convincing arguments for your noun without giving away your intentions so your bracket prediction wins. Really fun game, a lot like apples to apples but with more arguments.

I'd like to get Dixit sometime. It uses abstract psychological images instead of words. People score points by laying out three cards and saying a vague phrase that describes all three. You score more points if only one person gets it right.

What..what. I may have a regular boardgaming group starting. And they want to play Descent! Inconceivable!

Ticket to Ride: Europe - First time in a long time that I've played with all five players. Pretty chaotic time. Two (possibly three THANKS SIBLING) were placing trains haphazardly, which didn't help matters. I found myself in last place thanks to a slow start...and not really looking at my destination tickets. Ahem. I might have to use the Europa expansion next time to spice things up.

Bang! - Hmm. Not nearly as good as I remember. I don't mind the player elimination, it's the two-player face-off at the end that just seems to go on forever. Someone gets some health back, tries to shoot the other, misses. Other player repeats the same thing. Add more cards, repeat ad nauseum. Might be more fun with more players.

Red November - One of the co-players brought this co-op game. You get to run around a submarine and fix things while everything's falling apart. It's quite good for what it is! You're not going to play this a lot, but with five players it's fun to get into logistics for who goes where, who's drinking more grog to get more time, why is there a fire in the air conditioning room, oh god the ship's about to implode from too much pressure. We all died with fifteen in-game minutes left.

I've also started playing boardgames now again. Lots of fun.

We had last Sunday a longer round of Munchkin (yeah, doesn't have a board, I know). Lasted 3 hours, and 4 of 6 players were at the end at level 9. I think in one situation it took us 10 minutes to resolve one fight, since we debated so long how we could screw each other over. Love it. Might need some sets more though.

On Tuesday we played Talisman http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisman_(board_game) . The game is a bit slow at the beginning, but becomes more fun when you also get the chance to mess with each other. Couldn't finish it though, since we played at work (2 had to be there for supervision) and the alarm systems are activated at 11 PM, but 4 of 5 were already in the second ring.
Would prefer a round of Munchkin though.

I bought myself Carcassonne with a ton of expansions. I've played it only once, but I remember it was lots of fun. Will probably play it next week together.
Else the guys also have Catan, Risk, and some other things. I'm hoping for a great autumn/winter :D.
I also thought about getting Dominion, but I've only played the online version, and didn't remember that there was so much stuff written on the cards.
Which is for sure not a problem, but since I'm in the Netherlands and play with international people, I need either games with not a big amount of text on the game parts (rules you can get online), or need to order it from the UK, so that sucks a bit.
If someone has a recommendation...

If you have a group of 6 or more, play The Resistance. Best social game I've ever played.

I played 1989, basically Twilight Struggle set in Eastern Europe. The Communist just has to hold out while the Democrat has to fight for the overthrow of regimes. It was my first game and I didn't know anything about strategy, so I lost hard when the Democrat took advantage of my poor placement of influence in Poland and then proceeded to flip East Germany to total US control with the Monday Revolutions event. But it was enjoyable; enough like Twilight Struggle but different with no DEFCON and the Power Struggles & Support Checks mechanic.

Which is for sure not a problem, but since I'm in the Netherlands and play with international people, I need either games with not a big amount of text on the game parts (rules you can get online), or need to order it from the UK, so that sucks a bit.
If someone has a recommendation...

You could try Ticket to Ride. The only text when playing is for place names. And since you live in the Netherlands... http://www.daysofwonder.com/tickettoride/en/maps/nederland/

That sounds like a good suggestion.
Guess I might check it out next month, or so.

If you have a group of 6 or more, play The Resistance. Best social game I've ever played.

I'd like to stay friends with my friends :p.

I bought myself Carcassonne with a ton of expansions. I've played it only once, but I remember it was lots of fun. Will probably play it next week together.

This is the thread for discussing it. I don't recommend playing with all the Carcassonne expansions simultaneously, especially if you are not familiar with all the rules to all the different expansions. It ends up being quite long and confusing, with numerous rulebook consulting breaks, and wasn't a lot of fun.

I'm not a fan of The Resistance, but I'm not a big fan of mafia-type games in general except for Battlestar Galactica or the Camelot game that it is derived from.

Tales of the Arabian Nights - "And lo! Ala'kaCube found himself gazing in who turned out to be not a beggar at all. Dropping His disguise, the One revealed himself as Allah the Most High! True, our hero was insane, gibbering and muttering strange things. His sight to the mortal realm was lost forever. Such things are bound to happen after finding the Fallen One in a watery cave at the height of day and God in the forest in the middle of the night. Our hero had set on his journey in search of treasures beyond his knowledge, and he had found them."

This game isn't really a game. It's more of a mega-sized Choose Your Own Adventure book where you move your character around and have random encounters that alter your abilities. The fun comes from how all the moving parts help to guide your character down a storyline that is actually very organic, despite the random elements. Events that seemed out of place earlier will fall into place as foreshadowing. Kudos to the original creator for being able to contain the essence of the original stories into one big game. This really works if you just want to have fun and not think too much. There's also a variant where you can get extra points for acting out a scene that's lightly based on the results you got. It's a fun exercise that takes full advantage of its theme.

Note: this game is from Z-Man, which has been getting a lot of flack for having terrible components and customer service. So far I have received just the opposite. Everything is in its place and very well made (it's beautifully glossy). I thought I was missing something and emailed CS--instead of waiting two months like someone claimed, I got a response within a day.

I'd like to get Dixit sometime. It uses abstract psychological images instead of words. People score points by laying out three cards and saying a vague phrase that describes all three. You score more points if only one person gets it right.

Just played this last night for the first time. I like this more than Apples to Apples for a party-type game. The art was pretty to look at as well.

I play Avalon Hill Civilization, a board game that predated the computer game by a decade. It takes like eight players and twelves hours though, so opportunities to play come rarely.
We decided the original rules to that game were fubar so we rewrote them. Much more focus on the fun parts like trading those resource cards and the action on the map. Cut the game time down to about 8 hours the one time when we played with a full group.
Spoiler big pictures.... you may wanna zoom out :
SETUP

EARLY MOVES.

ROME MUST USE PENNIES TO MAKE UP FOR LOST PIECES.

MORE AFRICAN AGGRESSION.

CRETE TRAVELS TO ANTIOCH.

MACEDON, ILLYRIA, ROME AND CRETE

WE HAD A TREATY!

EVERYONE GETS A TURN WEARING THE LAURELS.

CRETE EVENTUALLY WINS AFTER THEIR FANTASTIC VOYAGE. I WAS PLAYING, YOU GUESSED IT... EGYPT.

Barnes & Noble actually shocked me today. I walk to the boardgame section and see a young couple coo over The Castles of Burgundy and carry it off. What do I also espy on the shelf but more diversity than ever. Besides the fact that there were more games, there were Trajan, 7 Wonders, three deck-builders, Killer Bunnies (that game is old and fallen into BGG obscurity)...and freakin' Vlaada Chvatil! Yes, Mage Knight of all things was on a prominent shelf in a mainstream store. That just blew my ludic mind.

Five thousandth post. :D

Boardgamegeek's 2013 gift guide is up. It's mainly lighter fare aimed at introducing new people to the hobby.

Top Bottom