What boardgames did you just play?

Oh, yes. The quality of the components in Relic is superb, even if reading the little game cards will likely prove problematic for anyone over 45 or so.

The amount of stuff out for Talisman is breath-taking though, all the more so when you can't buy a copy of the main game in the UK for any sum short of 'more money than sense'.

I already tried. Amazon.com simply will not ship any copy I tried to add to my cart to my address. :mad:

Hmm, that's odd - I ship from Amazon UK to the States fairly regularly without difficulty, it should work the other way as well.

It's ironic that the game is so hard to find in the UK, given that it's produced under licence from Games Workshop. Those prices are certainly too high, though, especially given the expansions. Steam does now have an online version of the basic game with 4th Edition rules, if that helps.

Alternatively, if you like the Talisman mechanics, Arkham Horror uses almost the same rules, but obviously with different items, and victory is somewhat less luck-dependent. However, the gameplay dynamic is different since Arkham is a cooperative game and Talisman is a competitive race to beat the game before other players.

Oh, yes. The quality of the components in Relic is superb, even if reading the little game cards will likely prove problematic for anyone over 45 or so.

I picked up FFG's version of Britannia (now sadly discontinued) despite having the original, and the pieces are very nice although I dislike the colour selection (particularly the bright yellow ones).

I think you need a dedicated warehouse for Descent or Arkham Horror at this point.

FFG seems to have something of a moratorium on producing new material, though - everything it's put out for its existing systems, including Arkham, in the last few years are straight reprints. I've seen speculation that Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay might be discontinued based on its lack of recent support, but it's had major releases and a couple of minor card packs more recently than most FFG games.

I managed to pick up Relic, which is just "Talisman 40,000", without any issues at all, so it seems stupid that they're still pushing out expansions and not keeping the base game in stock. I don't even particularly like the Talisman mechanics, given that they're almost entirely luck-based, but I spent countless hours on the 2nd version as a boy and getting a couple of people round to see who can be laughed at mercilessly by the gods of randomness certainly has its amusements.

I must say I absolutely love that game.
Not only does it offer a fantastic amount of replayability, but it also has an interesting learning curve, something that I have rarely seen in other games:
When I first played it, I had no idea about the possible strategies or counter plays, so what our group did was just playing stuff we thought worked best. Then we got the cards to know and found the first combos, stuff like "Colony Ship + Ark World", "3 cheap colonies + Diverse Economy", "Alpha Centauri + brown worlds + Mining League". Then we started to include other player actions into our decision making, turning the game into a more poker-like experience at times:

"Okay, he used explore 5 and placed Spice World last turn although he had 10 cards. I got rid of several blue economy improvement already, so he is ulikely to call improveme. So I should call trade, because if he calls settle, I can place down my windfall world and consume the yellow good, which gives me enough cards to play Galactic Film Studios next turn to counter his obvious production buildup. If he does anything else I still have a blue good to trade and force him to consume his alien toy shop for just 1 VP and 1 card."

And then we started to learn how to counterplay and "leech" the other players. Oh, he is going for a production/consume engine? Well, I guess I'll play Black Market and get my Ark out early to use his calls for my advantage.

It's just amazing how many layers of skill this game involves - not only will you make a lot of hard decisions each turn because of the "cards = currency" mechanic, but you also need to develope a grand strategy as the game unfolds and react to the other players and their plans.

...two thing I'll say, though: First, you should absolutely get the first addon ("The Gathering Storm"), because it balances out the somewhat overpowered produce/consume x2 strategies from the main game by giving players other good options (and adding the objective cards). Second, I think the game is better if you play with 3+ players. The 2 player games, even when not playing with the optional 2 actions/player rule, feel a lot more lopsided to me.

Wow, that's persuasive. I'll have to keep what you said in mind next time I play!

Wow, that's persuasive. I'll have to keep what you said in mind next time I play!
Just make sure to explain it to your friends as well, because the game is best played with a sorta equal skill level of all players. ;)

I won Race for the Galaxy against three people last night. :D Halfway through the game I realized a groupthink was developing: "Wow! Everyone played Explore again!" "Oh golly, look, everyone's Settling again." I was equally guilty, of course, but I think I managed to slip out of it enough. The Scavengers card is great--you get to put one card underneath it every time you Develop or Settle. Coupled with some yellow planets, I had a nice little economy going where I didn't need to Explore as much. I ended up victorious with 34 points in a fairly close game.

Legacy: Gears of Time - A clever puzzle where you score points by placing technologies in the past with a limited number of moves. If someone places the same technology further in the past by round's end, and they still own it, they get to score on it and earn some influence for the next round. Then you get to spend influence on other players' technologies to steal them. The coloring pencil artwork grows on you but slowly--its whimsy more than makes up for the terrible color palette.

There is one thing I hate about boardgames, and that is when you forget to use something on your turn. I had the diplomacy special ability in Smallworld and forgot to use it on a turn where I lost 4 regions :/ Would have won the game otherwise as I ended up tying with that player and losing due to the tie breaker (most tokens on the board wins, active and inactive >.>).

Okay, today I've been with a group of people at the Ducosim boardgame fair.
We didn't get too far there with playing games, because explaining and playing sucked up more time than thought, so we got only through 3 games in 7 hours. Was still fun.
Don't remember the names of the first two games. #1 was very complicated, trading on the Portugese trading port in Japan, had a ton of rules. Played that for 3 hours, did only 3 of 5 turns, then decided to go further. Wasn't bad, but the time span...
The next one was a simple dice rolling game. Was sort of "Connect Four", but the dices determined where on a board you could put your stones. Not bad, but not much strategy.
The last one was Concordia. That one I liked pretty much.
It's about building and trading in Roman times, and a mix between board and deck building game.
You have a deck of cards, which allows you to perform certain actions on the map (Italy or Europe), like building production centers in cities, harvesting resources from cities (randomly determined at the beginning), buying new cards, trading resources, and so.
The goal is to score as many points as possible. Points you get via different ways, e.g. for built production centers, for the distribution of your centers via certain provinces, and that is scaled with the type of cards which you have on your hand.
I think that one can be pretty interesting and strategic. Might consider buying it at some point.

Bought myself there a used version of Euphrat & Tigris (10€, can't go wrong), and PowerGrid, because it was one of the few games which had a higher player number. Both for sure only because I've read here about them, so :goodjob:.

Had in the evening also a nice game of Arkham Horror. And yeah, for 6 people it's really not *that* balanced.

I've been trying to get a copy of arctic scavengers. It seems that there are non in the UK as far as I can tell. I was told they are reprinting and out should be abalone on a about a month do I placed an order for one!

Yesterday I played my first game of Euphrat and Tigris.
The thing with the different colours is at the beginning a bit confusing, but not for too long.
Lost epically ^^.
One of my friends managed to build 2 monuments next to each other and had all his 4 leaders in this one kingdom. Tried to connect one of mine to it, but no matter in which order the conflicts would've been resolved, latest after the 2. conflict everything would've been apart again, and for sure without any connection to the monuments. Also someone else challenged my leader who was closest to that kingdom (and won), making connecting even harder.
And there was only 1 other big kingdom. No chance to get in, since basically everything had 8+ tiles, and most of the leaders had at least 2, or even 3 temples next to each other.
Okay, there might have been a chance, but hey, first game.

Also played one of my worst games of 7 wonders so far, with only 34 points at the end. I screwed up my wonder planning, and neither my nor my neighbours had papyrus for the last stage of my pyramid, and I noticed that only in round 3. In round 3 I was in general lacking resources, because I only had bricks and stones, and the only advanced material in the 2 other cities was glassworks (one of them got all the resources from their wonder), so yeah...that wasn't well planned.
At the other hand, in the game before, I was just gathering green cards. I managed to grab 8 / 12, without nearly any resource investment, because I managed to get the basic ones in the first round, and just added the other ones on top. The rest of the cards was invested into resources (2), or blue cards. Still managed to score only 3/7, with 53 points :/ (but was a very fun game).

Played a ton of dominion (Intrigue and...er...seafarers?) recently too. One of the games was over in 10 minutes, because we basically were only trashing cards. Wasn't fun. The other sets were a lot better. Love the ghostship :D.

Yesterday I played my first game of Euphrat and Tigris.
The thing with the different colours is at the beginning a bit confusing, but not for too long.
Lost epically ^^.
One of my friends managed to build 2 monuments next to each other and had all his 4 leaders in this one kingdom.
This is where internal conflicts come in handy, if you have enough temples in hand - move your character into the kingdom and challenge the other directly, as if you win you'll get the bonus from the monument and no territory will be lost.

Hope you enjoyed it - I like the game but don't have a copy, so I can only play online vs. the AI on GameTable, and I long ago beat its only difficulty setting.

Was thinking about it, but didn't have enough temples on my hand for most of the time.

Bought the game used, and definitely not a failed buy for the 10€ :D.

Definitely not - I do like the game, but I have to say I wouldn't say it's worth the asking price I find it for on Amazon etc.

Brought netrunner and played my first game the other day. After 're-reading the rules I realised we were making done silly mistakes reguarding ice and icebreakers. Made the mistake of confusing/conflating passing ice and breaking subroutines. Well do better next time.

Judging by the huge number of expansions I guess I'm pretty far behind the average player!

Top Bottom